You Probably Knew This.....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by David Eugene Swiger, May 1, 2019.

1. David Eugene Swiger

David Eugene Swiger Active Member

I was going thru some pocket change and I noticed the ribbon on the Lincoln Shield Cent. I'm sure you guys knew this, but as I said before, I learn something new daily (even if it's something I didn't know before.... wait what {Who's on first}), anywho, I thought just maybe I found something cool. So I started looked back through other shield pennies and sure enough, I had just learned something new (in other words nothing special, unless like me, you've never noticed this before either.) I know, long way around, so the ribbon and the last full stripe on the left, merge. Unlike all of the other stripes that stop and run behind the ribbon. I don't Know about you guys and I'm sure someone is thinking of just how many types of weird I am, but I thought it was an interesting find. I know NOT an error, just cool. Hey come on, I'm disabled not dumb. Got nothin' better to do and thought someone else might like to know this (if you didn't already). Shield Ribbon Merge 1.jpg

alurid and Evan Saltis like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

If you look at the edges of each of the vertical strips, you'll see an oddity ...
    here, I highlighted what I'm looking at
    upload_2019-5-1_15-32-15.png

and just above the N is more of the oddity ... a plating oddity and stuff.
    So what you see is a consistent, in multiple places plating problem.

ie, don't get focused on just one thing. Look around. The answer is there.
    you're looking too hard especially for a zincoln.

David Eugene Swiger likes this.
  4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

here's all the plating issues I see
    upload_2019-5-1_15-39-36.png

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Lots of weird things happen with these Zinc Cents. You've finally noticed an oddity in the design. It catches my eye every time I look at the Shield. It's made worse by the plating. As clawcoins said, look at the entire coin.

By the way, Who's on first, What's on second and I Don't Know is on Third. ;)

6. David Eugene Swiger

Very true..... thanks. :happy::playful::pompous::shame::):smug::smuggrin::rolleyes: Yea, I love the oldies.....

7. David Eugene Swiger

Yes, I have noticed a lot of "freaky" things going on with the zincoln Lincolns, this one just happen to be one of the freakiest. Thanks for the input.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

This was brought up in an earlier post. The only thing I can think of is the ribbon was designed this way to appear as blowing in the wind or something similar.

9. David Eugene Swiger

Interesting thought, thanks......cute pup too.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Cute baby of yours also.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Draft saved Draft deleted