You might want to pickup that penny laying on the ground

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Moekeever, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

Found this article online,

Bank places 100 'lucky pennies' across US worth $1,000 each
    Today
    DETROIT (AP) — Stopping to pick up a stray penny off the ground may not seem worth the effort, yet one bank is trying to change that mindset by placing 100 fake pennies across the country worth $1,000 apiece.

Ally Bank says it is hoping to encourage Americans to look for opportunities to save through its "Lucky Penny" promotion, which launched this week. The lucky pennies carry a copper color like real pennies, but feature the Detroit-based bank's logo instead of Abraham Lincoln's head. The flip side of the coin lists its value at 100,000 cents.

The pennies have been placed in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Miami, Denver, Detroit, San Diego, Charlotte, North Carolina, and Austin, Texas.

The coins can be redeemed online until the end of the year.
    image.jpeg
    Here is a photo of the actual coin.

brandon spiegel likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I've picked up cents on the floor in stores before and found that they were wheaties.

brandon spiegel likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'll 'stoop' if the coin is Heads UP. There was a time I'd pick up all change regardless of orientation, but then (one day, long ago) I plucked a 'tails' quarter off of the tarmac and encountered the worst day of my life.

Would be fun to find one of OP's tokens.........:)

6. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

I was working last Saturday at Kroger and I found a 1955 d wheat back on the ground and then, I checked the coin star machine after I got off my shift and found 45 cents, just to go home and find out that one of the dimes were silver! My 2ed solid coin star find (first was 38 cents cash)

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I wonder what kind of security features this has. A $1000 coin has some counterfeiting incentive attached to it. Perhaps they'll never show a picture of the side with the bank logo so that someone that fakes one would have to find one first.

8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

It has a unique serial number on each one.

Draft saved Draft deleted