You know you should buy the coin when...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Oct 2, 2018.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

...you think it has sold and feel very sad that you didn't buy it, only to find that it hadn't really sold. Sweet relief! Second chances!

Such was the case with this eBay purchase, a delightful denarius of Julia Domna showing Venus in the classical "from behind" pose with graceful garment draped beguilingly low.

DomnaVenusDenarius-RT.jpg
    Julia Domna
    Augusta, CE 193-217
    AR denarius, 17 x 19 mm, 2.72 gm
    Rome mint; struck under Septimius Severus, circa AD 193-196
    Obv: IVLIA DOMNA AVG; draped bust right
    Rev: VENERI VICTR; Venus standing right, back facing, leaning upon column to left, holding palm frond and apple
    Ref: RIC IV 536 (Septimius Severus); RSC 194
    Formerly slabbed; NGC net grade XF

I've wanted one of these Venus-from-behind denarii for a while and preferred to have one of Julia Domna. I never saw a Domna/Venus that appealed to me as much as this one. Yes, the flan is ragged. Yes, the legends are indistinct. But... the youthful and sweet portrait! The perfectly proportioned Venus! It's so hard to find one which is pleasing on both sides.

I dithered about making an offer-- the price was higher than I wanted to go but there was no "make an offer" button. I looked at every example of this coin in ACsearch and in current for-sale venues. Twice. I found none I liked better. Yes, some were higher grade or had full legends but I find the style of both sides of this coin superior. I'm surprised it didn't get a "fine style" nod from NGC. Perhaps remarks on style aren't given in this "economy" grading tier.

After confirming that I liked this coin better than any I've seen, I went back to eBay but couldn't find the coin. I thought it had sold. :(. I was truly sad and regretted not acting on it sooner.

It was still there, of course... I had somehow overlooked it.

Yet I still dithered. I hate dickering but felt the asking price of $250 was too high.

The listing ended without an offer and it was relisted, as expected. Soon after I wrote the seller and made a reasonable and perhaps generous offer of $200. He took it without further discussion. Perhaps I should have made a lower offer. Regardless, I'm very pleased to have the coin and it arrived today :).

Truly-- you may not think much of the coin due to the irregular flan and indistinct and partly off flan legends but I challenge you to find one of better style.

I'd like to hear your stories of coins that spoke to you, whether inexpensive or once-in-a-lifetime purchases. How do you know when you should go for a coin? Or, how do you know when you should back off a coin? I'm as interested in learning why people like what they like as I am in the coins themselves.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Nvb, Okidoki, Pavlos and 59 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

When a coin speaks, you listen.

I collect Roman imperial coins. In auction listings, I typically bypass all the Greek, Parthian, Sasanian and such and just go straight to the Roman Provincials and Roman Imperials.

But this one SPOKE to me and I listened:

Philistis.jpg

Okidoki, Andres2, Cucumbor and 29 others like this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

And I couldn't resist the sestertius version of your coin, either:

Domna VENERI VICTR Sestertius.jpg

Okidoki, Andres2, Cucumbor and 25 others like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow!! I love that Venus pose! If you ever decide to sell that coin... dibs :D.

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Hard to say, but I got a Balbinus that spoke to me and $620 later it was mine. I liked the highlighted patina and chubby cheeks. Kind of like the Gerber baby. And the Concordia reverse was laughable. Balbinus and Pupienus were at each others throats after their 3 month reign.

balbinus1.jpg

balbinus2.jpg

Okidoki, Andres2, Cucumbor and 25 others like this.
  7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

A couple of things here- 1st: A truly mesmerizing and exuberant image of Julia on your obverse. And obs on the rev a fantasstic image of my favorite goddess, Venus. Just like we've come to expect #TIF=classalltheway!
    Here's my Domna (slumming it in comparison) version:
    CollageMaker Plus_20186121103721.png

And B: I just purchased a coin that I'm waiting for from one of my favorite auction houses that just spoke to me (something about the winged thunderbolt and the allure of being from early Sicily). Though I know I may be jinxing myself posting before receiving, check out out!
    309642.l.jpg
    Sicily, Katane AR Litra. Circa 415/3-404 BC. Head of Silenos to left, wearing ivy wreath / ΚΑΤΑΝΑΙΩΝ Winged thunderbolt between two shields. Boehringer, Kataneische LI 6-7. Rizzo pl. XIV, 18 var. SNG ANS 1266. 0.71g, 10mm, 6h

Okidoki, Andres2, Cucumbor and 23 others like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

....when you look at a coin and get goosebumps.

Roman Collector and TIF like this.
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I think it's pretty high price wise but the caboose of Venus has no wear, which is a win.

I still want the type too but yet to find one at a price I am comfortable with.

I've had many coins speak to me, many say "Psst, hey look, I am going cheap & I know you need me, BID FOOL!!"

So I do and many times I am glad I listened.:D:cool:;)

10. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Congratulations on your good fortune, @TIF ! That's a remarkable coin. The relief is beautiful.

I have a version of the same type. I've always liked the obverse profile.

JULIA_DOMNA.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Okidoki, alk1129, Andres2 and 19 others like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine is just an as but asses are harder to find. Who has the aureus for our set?
    rl6240b00466lg.jpg

Of the portrait dies of this lady, my personal favorite is this very worn sestertius. There is a lot of variation in style on these. I would love a high grade one.
    rl6230b00197lg.jpg

Of course the Venus reverse comes from the Eastern mints as well.
    "Emesa?"
    rk5230b00172lg.JPG

Hardest to find is Alexandria for either Julia (which I lack) or Septimius.
    rf0540bb1560.jpg

Okidoki, Andres2, Cucumbor and 23 others like this.
  12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Superlative style indeed... and hard to find for this type. Awesome coin!! (How many years will I have to wait for one that I'm satisfied with now that you've shown me this one!? :shifty::shame:)

I browsed my collection database and picked the first coin that came up where I bought it purely because it spoke to me, in a way that might escape someone else:

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 5.26.23 PM.jpg
    Valens siliqua, RIC IX Arles 6d

There was (and is) something about the reverse style that I find arresting, as well as (secondarily) the portrait, and the overall toning. (I like the centring too, but anyone would like that.) I had to have it. :)

Okidoki, Andres2, Cucumbor and 22 others like this.
  13. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A wonderful coin @TIF I can see why you chose it. I love both the obverse portrait and the reverse. What a special coin. When a special coin comes along you have to grab it.

I have one that spoke to me that is coming up for auction in Europe in about 6 days. I will probably spend too much on it but that is secondary. Sometimes you just have to follow your heart on things and let the brain take the back seat.

14. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

O very nice TIF..i want one too!!.^^

TIF likes this.
  15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

This coin spoke to me like few have. The luster, color, strike, and die anomalies make this example very special.

F2C67E86-489C-4BE5-99DC-ECD775D9B751.jpeg

When I was presented this very rare and historic coin at a price I could afford, I could not say no.

41C1C737-5DC4-4B97-87EB-FAB2929A466D.jpeg

These were both JA auction wins that spoke to me for various reasons.

Look at that strike and color! This is one of my favorite Roman coins.

9A4AEF0E-6A6D-486B-BAF7-8419EB325D99.jpeg

This is one of the nicest Constantine I bronzes of Trier I had seen. My heart fell for the detail and patina instantly.
    E46DA045-ADB6-49A8-808D-E98F6D48F0DE.jpeg

Attached Files:

Okidoki, Andres2, Cucumbor and 17 others like this.
  16. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Another stunner. When it comes to picking coins with tons of eye appeal, I don't think anyone else here is as talented as you. Great coin, TIF.

Paul M. and TIF like this.
  17. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Awesome coin and story @TIF! Sometimes the memories associated with a coin mean more than the numismatic details.

Advice if not heeded will result in much regret. Here is a coin that recently 'spoke' to me.

D847.jpg Domitia
    AR Cistophorus
    Rome mint (for Asia), 82 AD (Domitian)
    RIC 847 (R). BMC 256. RSC 19. RPC 870 (8 spec.).
    Obv: DOMITIA AVGVSTA; Bust of Domitia, draped r., hair massed in front and in long plait behind
    Rev: VENVS AVG; Venus stg. r., leaning on column, with helmet and spear
    Ex CNG E424, 11 July 2018, lot 471.

Okidoki, Cucumbor, Paul M. and 17 others like this.
  18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Great coins everyone! When scrolling thru all the sixbid auctions, there are soooooooo many coins that tantalize my palate. But, having a "modest" coin budget, I then target the coins that I can budget for.... My next "ancient" will hopefully be an Aureus (I will know in three weeks if it happens)
    My biggest problem is that too many coins are speaking to me, hence I am always in the poor house 4337909l (1).jpg :(
    I remember Triton V/ I had saved up for 2 months to get a Diocletian FDC Aureus. Back then, I got my CNG catalogue and sent in my bid. About a week later, my doorbell rang, lo and behold the mailman had a registered letter from CNG.....a late Christmas present:happy: I remember looking at that coin every night before bedtime!

19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Thank you Ancient guys! You are true Numismatists, and cordial beyond compare.

TIF likes this.
  20. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice examples of Venus from behind, one of my favorites. TIF, that is a very nice example. Here are some not-so-nice ones I got from bottom-feeding:

Titus:

Titus Den Venus Butt Aug 2018 (1).JPG

Salonina - I had one of these already, but this is a lot nicer:
    Salonina - Ant. VENUS behind Aug 2018.jpg

A very rough Julia Domna sestertius -

Julia Domna - Venus behind July 2018 (64x).jpg

Okidoki, Cucumbor, Paul M. and 14 others like this.
  21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Cool coin @TIF JD looks great and those are some sweet cheeks on Venus.

I REALLY need to take another pic if this coin, it's a poor pic of a lovely coin that deserves a better image. Looks like it was illuminated and background painted by a drunk monkey. Anyway, the coin looks great. I knew this hot little number was going home with the the second I laid eyes on it at a coins how.

102_7226.jpg_zpseoy3vsxk.png

Okidoki, Andres2, Cucumbor and 16 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted