You know that you've probably been overspending when . . . .

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ZoidMeister, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I did find this out! Even ended things stack up

ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

Yesterday I said yep just 2. Made payment. Marked as shipped. Departed post office.
    Later that night... another auction ending i couldn't forget about. You know how it is. Two packages back to back lol.

4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Yup, I went through the watched but ended listings and deleted over 100 that I had no interest in keeping for research. That helped open things up a bit.

Z

5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I've got another six snipes lined up to end over the next two hours.

Let's see how much poorer I am in the AM.

Z

6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

This hobby is enjoyable and interesting, but it can also turn into a horrible addiction. I tracked my coin purchases in a spreadsheet for 5 years and, when I finally hit the "sum" button on the purchase amount column, I was horrified at how much I had unknowingly spent over that period. A large portion of that money I will never get back. I've since started tracking totals more frequently and have really pulled back on purchases.

The drama of auctions can make it worse, since they heighten that feeling of "other people want this too, but I'm going to get it!" That fervent competitive feeling is likely what makes some auction prices skyrocket as people vie for victory over an item and are even willing to pay more than they originally planned in the heat of the moment. The "it's only another dollar" syndrome has probably stung many when, upon winning, they realize they had actually added another $10, $20, $50 or worse. The pressure of an auction doesn't always allow for sober reflection.

So enjoy the hobby, but be careful. Create budgets, track purchases and reflect on money spent on a regular basis. And try to avoid auctions. :D

ZoidMeister likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted