You ever tipped your hat?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pickin and Grinin, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

When you left a brick and mortar?
    Not a Lord M bow, but a curl to the brim one way or another?
    I have new plans,
    When I head out of here and move to my eventual place. I am going to open a coin shop. Price all the coins, even the clearly damaged ones double that I will actually take, and some a thousand times more.
    Small Lincoln laminations separated but still stuck for a grand, clipped planchets @ 500+, mis aligned dies for over a bill. Mediocre minor toned Morgans for double their value in a NGC or PCGS slab.

I browsed the cases twice and after talking to the dealer half way thru. I respectfully couldn't get out of there quick enough. I have never seen such out of hand prices in an everyday establishment.

Mark1971, Eric the Red, PamR and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

He's probably paying some insane amount of money to lease the space and buy business insurance. And to paraphrase Francisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sébastian d'Anconia-- in order to produce you must first get permission from people who produce nothing. So how much each year does he pay to the state, county and city for licenses, permits and miscellaneous bull crap?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh. Glad you cleared that up, 'cause I was gonna say yeah, otherwise. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Only once in my life, I had to tip my hat, shake the dealers hand and leave forever. He ask too many questions. Where I lived, how he could contact me and other things that seemed odd. When he started offering me solid key date coins at half of their value, I felt really uneasy.
    A few months later the feds raided his shop and took everything in the shop. The dealer had been sending bad guys to his customers houses in the middle of the night. They would beat and rob the owner. The dealer and his wife went to prison.
    All this taught me a great lesson. I could have been one of his victims.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

I get that except, if you aren't moving merch then you can't clear that bottom line either.
    There was just something wrong about the dealer. It felt like he was preying on the uneducated. And I don't think it was just on the selling side, those practices usually start on the buying side.

longnine009 likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Glad that dealer is paying the piper. That is crazy.

8. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Where was that dealer?

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, hey, if he's paying ten times the going rate for coins, maybe we can do business.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Oklahoma. I'll bet the guy is out of jail by now.

Heavymetal likes this.
  11. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I feel your pain concerning prices. Wouldn't mind if my LCS
    had a decent selection of clipped cents to look thru.

12. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Probably going motel to motel buying metals. Once a scammer…
    My sister-in-law sent me a text last night of a motel buyer. Silly girl, tricks are for kids
    image000000.jpeg

13. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Re: the post title

Yes, but only for exceptional service, like not blowing off in the wind, or for blocking a low hanging sun. (Fortunately, it gets along well with it's co-workers, the sun glasses.) It's a small price to pay for a long time employee! :smug:

Otherwise, I may just give it a verbal compliment & an admonition to be on the rack by the door when we are ready to go. It's a very obedient hat! :D

Pickin and Grinin and -jeffB like this.
  14. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

A dealer in the Chicago suburbs told me about another dealer around here who did something similar. Apparently he went to jail and now owns another coin shop, which I've never visited.

15. Pickin and Grinin

I was in Grove, OK. Hopefully not the same guy.

16. Pickin and Grinin

I like to give the same compliment to most every other dealer I buy from. When the coins on the floor are outrageous in price, why waste your breath with a haggle.
    Other than that we caught a good 50+ pnds of crappie and Bass. We had a good weekend.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  17. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hiddendragon likes this.
  18. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

19. ddddd

ddddd Member

The new shop is in Skokie. The old one was in Evanston.

Draft saved Draft deleted