You dont see a carson city like this everyday

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by goldrealmoney79, Feb 21, 2021.

1. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

David Betts and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Because the earlier they are the harder they are to find especially in high grade condition such as this example silver dollars were used more than any other denomination back then I think.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

For $125K I'd expect a LOT better quality picture. From what I can see, which is very little, the grade is questionable and that leads me to think the holder is questionable.

5. potty dollar 1878

^^I was thinking of the same thing also the coin isn't blast white and it could have some issues underneath all that dark and dull toning

6. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

PCGS doesn't have an image of this coin available. This has a pop of 1 and there are only 2 with a higher grade. I don't like the looks of this coin. It looks cleaned to me.

7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

If it's legit, what's the FMV ?

But you guys who know this coin think it's a fake, huh ?

8. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

PCGS says $100,000

9. masterswimmer

I'm not saying I know the coin. What I'm saying is, if someone is asking for north of $100,000 for a coin, you'd think they would do everything they have control over, ie: a picture, make look perfect, multiple pix, close-ups, Tru-View (if available). You get my point.

Things just don't seem right.

Jeffjay, Scott J and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  10. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

At that price why is it for sale on EBay and not one of the big Auction Houses?

11. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

CoastCoin wit 22200 sales and only 1 neg. I got a feeling this is just an advertising trick so that someone goes on their website and makes an offer. Maybe....

johnmilton likes this.
  12. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Hoky77 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  13. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

That's the first thought I had too.

14. potty dollar 1878

There are plenty of coins like this on ebay and because most of these people are to lazy or just don't have the time to do the more effort to list it in an auction.

15. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

A few years ago I saw one of the 1907 UHR Saints for sale for $4,000,000 on Ebay.

I was a wee bit short on Ebay Bucks to buy it. :D

Penna_Boy likes this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'm not aware of any melting before circulation. As for why they are rare all you have to do is look at the mintages. 1870 CC had the highest at 11,758 and even that is low compared to the other years of this low mintage series. Then you have 1871 CC 1,376 1872 CC at 3,150 and 1873 CC at 2,300.

So the 1871 is the third rarest coin in the series, 1873 is 4th, 1872 is 5th, and the "common" 1870 is the 8th. This is out of a 36 coin series. The top 2 coins, the 1851 and 1852 with mintages of 1,300 and 1,100 respectively are extremely difficult to acquire. The 1871 CC is much easier compared to those two. (We don't even consider the 1870 S with no official mintage and only 9 specimens known to exist.)

Penna_Boy likes this.
  17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They're a major seller with countless five figure and up coins and they use that same picture style for everything.

18. masterswimmer

Baseball, I've read at least one, more likely hundreds of your posts. You seem like a pretty astute guy. Let's say you're in the market for an 1873 CC Seated Liberty Dollar in MS grade. You see the coin in question for six figures. You know nothing about the seller. Are you seriously dropping that kind of coin on a display with a single picture of that quality? Me? I'm not even justifying that ad with a question to the seller. Please, honest answer to that hypothetical.

19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

the point really was that there’s nothing fishy going on. That’s just how they choose to do their pictures and have been doing so for years. I don’t really like that style for anything, but it works for them as they are well know with over a million dollars in inventory and sell expensive coins all the time.

20. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

Honestly.... if I have that kind of money I would make an appointment and fly out to look at the coin. Maybe even send a reputable buyer on my behalf.

21. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Heritage had this to say: "The tiny mintage of 2,300 pieces nonetheless exceeds that of the 1871-CC, of which only 1,376 pieces were struck. However, the 1873-CC is even more challenging than the 1871-CC, particularly in VF to XF grades. This is likely because of the "Crime of 1873" legislation, which ended production of silver dollars in favor of Trade dollars. Perhaps many 1873-CC Seated dollars were melted, with the bullion reclaimed in 1873-CC Trade dollars. "

Draft saved Draft deleted