YOU are Invited: The First Official CoinTalk Meet and Greet at FUN 2020

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by physics-fan3.14, Dec 9, 2019.

?

Will you be there?

1. Absolutely!

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. I'm not sure about that physics-fan guy, but I'd like to meet the rest of you

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Let me think about it. Maybe?

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Unfortunately, I can't make it. Maybe next year!

38 vote(s)
    60.3%
  5. Will there be bacon?

14 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

MORE than it's worth? Not to the person who placed the bid apparently. You seem to be establishing a fixed value to the object (could be anything in an auction). Value is often a moving target.

I stand by my original statement. YMMV

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’ve paid 2x FMV for a coin because there was something special about it that only I would see and no one else would care about. I regret it not

GoldFinger1969 and masterswimmer like this.
  4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No I'm not saying that value is fixed, but it is a given number range at any given point in time. But it also changes with time.

This is the primary point I am trying to get across, not just to you, but to everybody. The true value of a coin is what an educated/knowledgeable buyer will pay for it. Not what just any buyer will pay for it.

And yeah, the argument you're making is an old one, but it is just as invalid as it is old. Example, if someone in an auction bids and pays $300 for an ordinary 2010 Proof Set - that does not in any way make that Proof Set worth $300 ! And it never will make it worth that much. The only thing it does is prove that the person who did that had no clue what they were doing.

Want another example, and it won't even have anything to do with an auction. The coins sold on the TV shows by the thousands - do you believe for 1 second they are worth what those people are paying for them ? Of course they're not, they are only worth a fraction of that amount. But yet thousands of people pay that for them. Why ? Because they have no clue what they are doing.

That is why this is true -

The true value of a coin is what an educated/knowledgeable buyer will pay for it. Not what just any buyer will pay for it.

halfcent1793 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  5. masterswimmer

Apples and oranges comparing auctions to tele-ripoffs. In an auction the gavel comes down on a price one person offered at or above the initial price. If it's above the initial price it is only because at least two people bid on it. Those two, or more, people are establishing the FMV at that time.

Using the 2010 proof set as your argument is an analogy that is misleading. Why not use an MS67 1909 S VDB? Or a modern coin such as the 1995 W ASE PR?

The point is, situations vary. Making a blanket statement that an auction sale does not establish FMV is just as unrealistic as your 2010 proof set scenario.

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Some awesome stuff there. That’s for sure

7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

In Economics 101, you are taught that price depends on a certain set of conditions: linear pricing (many items of similar or idential background)...perfect information by both sellers and buyers...marginal cost equal to marginal price....etc.

Few of those conditions are met when dealing with coins, no 2 of which are identically alike but even those which are "close enough" to be called substitutable are often subject to varying forces which preclude perfect economic pricing conditions. 2 identical coins can get different pricing if one is auctioned in late-August when people are on vacation vs. another one in mid-September when folks return.

You don't see toothpaste and other mass-produced goods changing price that often and by degree.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

No it's not, it's the principle I'm talking about, and it's exactly the same in both situations. The TV buyers do not know what they are doing, they are ignorant - meaning uneducated. And many auctions buyers are also ignorant, uneducated and they do not know what they are doing. Which is why both groups pay more than the coins are worth.

People who are educated, who do know what they are doing, would never do either thing.

You can use them, the coin or item is immaterial. And in point of fact many buyers have paid, at auction, more than either/both of those coins are worth ! And they did so because they did not know what they were doing.

If someone paid $20,000 for a '95-W ASE would that mean the coin was worth that much ? Of course not. And to say that it is worth that much just because somebody paid that much is beyond ridiculous.

Islander80-83 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  9. GoldFinger1969

Doug is correct....UNeducated buyers are not armed with perfect or even reasonably good information.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  10. masterswimmer

I'm going to counter this with the experts on the television show Antiques Roadshow. Those experts, who purportedly know their business as well as the item in hand, will often give their expert appraisal with a range of value. Fair enough for you? It is for me. The kicker is this. Those same experts will oftentimes qualify their appraisal saying they wouldn't be at all surprised in an auction setting having the price they quoted easily be exceeded. Not because of uneducated bidders, but because the establishment of a FMV is not always an exact science. Value to one person does not always translate the same to all. How many times have we heard, 'if you like it, buy it!'.

See above.

Your interpretation of worth or value doesn't always translate to someone else's idea of value. And saying they don't know what they're doing is an arrogance I don't subscribe to.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  11. GoldFinger1969

MS, I think what Doug is saying is that with the exception of something which posesses RARITY or UNIQUE traits -- i.e., one of a kind stuff or close to it -- that FMV is pretty well established by comparables in the open market.

For instance...at FUN, they just auctioned off a 1927-D Saint. There are only 7 of them that trade, give-or-take. Higher quality 1927-D's had gone for about $2 MM or so and you could make a case that a 65+ graded coin should go for less.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/saint-gaudens-double-eagles/1927-d-20-ms66-pcgs/a/1136-2331.s

However, the previous auctions were many years back...different coin and economic environments....so the 65+ auctioned off at FUN actually went for just under $2 MM because who knows when the next one will available. Even though it's probably one of the lower-graded ones out there.

OTOH, I got an MS66 1923-D Saint (for much less than $2 MM:D) at pretty much FMV plus a bit of a premium for getting a fairly high-end coin. I was willing to pay an additional 5-10%...but not 25-50%.

NewbietoCoins likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

Yes, there is always a value range for any coin, but it is a limited range, not an infinite one.

My single and personal interpretation of value - I readily agree with you. But when dozens or a hundred knowledgeable people say that a coins value is within a given limited range, anyone paying more than that is doing so for one of two reasons - ignorance, or emotion. And their paying more than that limited range will never make the coin worth that much.

It has nothing to do with arrogance, it only has to do with knowledge.

You need to realize, I'm not trying to "argue" with you, I'm trying to help you. But hey, you go right on believing whatever you wanna believe.

Islander80-83 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  13. masterswimmer

You beat me to it. I was just going to say the exact same thing!

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Anyone know where the exhibit winners at Fun are posted? I can find last years but not this years.

15. GoldFinger1969

Hey....if anybody wants to see what I bought @ FUN, I'm posting the coins (and bills) in the NEW ACQUISITIONS threads rather than take up space here.

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Don't post in the "new acquisitions" thread. Most people don't look at that. Start a new thread.

17. GoldFinger1969

I can post them here or create a new FUN Acquisitions Thread if you think others will join in.

????

18. masterswimmer

How about linking your new thread to this thread ;)

19. RLGluvcoins

RLGluvcoins Active Member

Lord willing I hope to make it next year hope y'all having fun. ✌️

20. RLGluvcoins

RLGluvcoins Active Member

I wanted to attend this so bad tried everything
    Sounded like a blast

21. GoldFinger1969

We'll do it again next year, and also coordinate hotel accomodations so we can all stay close to one another.

It's easy to hang out when you are all staying in the same hotel.

RLGluvcoins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted