YOC's Wiltshire/Dorset metal detecting finds 2015/16

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by YOC, May 26, 2016.

1. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I said I would post some pics of some finds that my son and I made the past two years using our metal detectors. Detectors are an xp deus and a minelab etrac. ist for depth, second for smaller finds on busy sites.
    This is my nicest hammered coin to date found on top of a hill out in the rolling countryside....
    Its a Henry VIII groat, but I havent got full attribution yet.
    petes phone may 16 156.jpg petes phone may 16 157.jpg
    the following week, my son and I found these 3 in two adjacent fields in the village of chilmark, again full attribution not yet achieved.
    silver denarius of Hadrian was found 3ft away from the Elizabeth I shilling!!
    petes phone may 16 159.jpg petes phone may 16 160.jpg
    petes phone may 16 175.jpg petes phone may 16 176.jpg
    the next day my boy found this woden head type saxon silver sceat in the next field across
    petes phone may 16 170.jpg petes phone may 16 168.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow those are some nice coins. I especially like the Henry VIII and the sceat.

I enjoying seeing peoples MD finds, its an enjoyable section on the PCGS boards, just not very busy.

Good article on sceats in this months Numismatist magazine too!

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I wish I lived where you could just dig stuff like this up. :) Really love the groat and the shilling!

4to2centBC likes this.
  5. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

this is probably my favourite find this year, a saxon gilded disc brooch with mythical beasts encircling the brooch
    petes phone may 16 161.jpg and a small roman brooch with three holes and traces of coloured enamel my son found in the same field
    petes phone may 16 171.jpg

6. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

What a great way to spend time. Can't find anything interesting here in the US. Certainly no sceattas. Wonderful broach.

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

You can find cigarette butts on our l.a. beaches, used condoms too!

Neat brooches!

Kentucky and stevex6 like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am not a major collector of Elizabeth but your fingers make that shilling look like it might be smaller (sixpence?). They all look like things all of us 'over here' wish we could go out and find.

Ancientnoob and Paul M. like this.
  9. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Great finds. I need to get my buddy in Poole out there and do some detecting. I only seem to find beer cans and modern coins here in Texas so far. Frustrating!

10. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

I am soooo jealous of you guys. I've been detecting around Florida since 1977 and have found over 20,000 coins, but nothing dated earlier than 1850. Treasure hunting in Great Britain has been on my bucket list, but I think I'm going to kick it before actually having the chance to do this.

4to2centBC, green18 and Pellinore like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Not true! I know we all collect Ancients, but how about some US history memorabilia? On my parents farm, and on my farm years later, in West Virginia we used to find arrowheads, and cannon ball and shot from the US Civil War. I even found a marker stone marked "GW" from George Wahington's days as a surveryor. Plenty to be found if you want to look.

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

14. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Yes, I know, but that pales in comparison in all respects compared to European finds. So despite the odd 17-19th century artifact, there will never be a Sutton Hoo Here (Alliterative History Answers for $200 Alex))

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You are right, of course, but I was answering your initial statement "Can't find anything interesting here in the US.". I suppose it depends on what one finds interesting.

Alegandron likes this.
  16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's so cool YOC...that saxon coin is KILLER.

17. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

18. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Yea I would kill for this opportunity.
    I have a metal detector and I found a giant Goose Egg!!

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

oooow ... a golden egg?

Draft saved Draft deleted