YN's and the way they are treated

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by zaneman, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

That was a really great thing you did Zane! Hopefully it will prevent a young collector from possibly leaving the hobby. Dealers need to understand that the young kids that spend $10-$20 now will be the collectors spending $100s and $1000s in the future.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

It does happen. I generally carry a few dollars around when I am at shows.

Its funny how if I wear something casual to the show, slacks and a dress shirt, I get attention from most of the dealers, wear a suit and they think your a high spender and ALL of them drool when you get to their table. Me, I ride a Harley Davidson so on weekends I generally wear Blue Jeans and a Harley tshirt, I get ignored alot, I am 49 years old, been collecting for 42 years and have more put away then 90% of the dealers at the shows. Generally I give them a few minutes to acknowledge that I am there, if not I push the issue. Its sad to see how most of the kids are treated at shows, I dont know if the dealers are tuned in for that one big sale or what. I did ask one dealer a while back why he was ignoring me, he told me flat out... YOUR A BIKER. I about fell over. I own a very successful computer consulting company and very well respected in the community. This really ticked me off and I said some things to that dealer that I am sure he wont forget for a while. I ask him how much he would take for everything he had at the show. He told me a number, I said sheesh (not the real word) I paid more than that for my Bike. These dealers do give a bad name to the industry in general

All of you YN's out there please keep in mind they are not all idiots. There are some true genuine dealers out there who care, much like anything else in life, pick and choose.

4. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Just for a change of pace, try going to a stamp show. I went to one two weeks ago out of boredom. They had a big kid's section and of course, it was a lot less hectic than coin shows. I guess the stamp dealers have their backs up against the wall a bit more than the coin dealers. I talked with several of them and made it obvious from the beginning that I wasn't there to buy anything. But that didn't matter, we sat and chatted anyway.

If you haven't, give it a try. And the exhibitions are really cool with examples of mis-sent letters or letters sent during World War II, etc.

5. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

That's awesome zane. Thanks for sharing that! :hug: :thumb:

6. libertyseated

libertyseated Senior Member

That was a nice story zane.
    Very nice indeed!

I remember being that age in a coin shop and feeling very alone, As I recall, I believe my dad told the shop owner where he could stick his coins. My dad being the no nonsense type.

7. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Have to say I'm glad I had a more positive experience with the first coin dealer I knew well, back when I was about 10 living in Newtown, Pennsylvania. Always acted glad to see me, took the time to educate me about certain coins, learned what I was most interested in and helped me find it, and would often give me $2 bills in change (including some older red seal notes). If not for him I probably wouldn't be coin collecting today. My grandmother got me started in coin collecting with the Whitman Lincoln Cent folders she gave me, helping me sort through her giant jar of pennies to fill in dates, but if not for the Newtown coin delaer coin collecting would probably have just have been a childhood phase. Really wish I knew what his name was.

8. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Might be a location thing. Around here I go to about 3 coin shows a month. Hardly ever go to a coin store. Only bad experience I've ever had was at a kind of famous coin store, H.J.Berk. However, in thier defence I must admit they are equally rude to all ages. At all coin shows I've never heard of or seen poor treatments of YN's. In fact they are usually given better treatments than me. Also, I noticed it seldom makes a difference on how your dressed as to anything. The greatest amount of these coin shows are on Sundays so some people are dressed fairly well and others look like they just got done painting thier fences. All are basically treated the same. I've witnessed many kids getting free coins from dealers. At one show a kid of about 8 years old or so was staring at a box of discounted coins and the dealer, although busy, said go ahead and check out the ones in there. The kid did and pulled out several of them. The dealer told the kid he was to busy to take his money now but take the coins and pay when he gets to be about 40 years old. The kid looked confused, several people laughed, he ran to show his Dad the coins. I"ve seen situations like that many times. Usually at the front tables at these shows there are free coin magazines, pamphlets, newsleters, etc. and kids are always welcome to help themselves and they do. From what I've seen over the years at coin shows around here I want to be a kid again.

9. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

wow, he was lucky

10. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

That was very nice of you Zane.

Can you share with us as in which city this shop is located?

Regards
    Ballabh Garg

11. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

It was in the riverside/chino area of California.

12. CentDime

CentDime Coin Hoarder

What was that coin dealer busy doing, dipping coins? :goofer:

13. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

Unfortunately, there are a few bad apples - it's the same way in any industry. But, for every one rude, stupid dealer, keep in mind that there are many more that are polite and helpful to YN's.

Draft saved Draft deleted