YN contest Mercury dime giveaway.

Discussion in 'Contests' started by LindeDad, Jul 17, 2011.

?

Which one do you like the best. Names are listed in order of their posting.

Poll closed Jul 27, 2011.
  1. zach24

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Taylor101

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. WRSiegel

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. eric0911

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. bradarv90

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. Augestine1992

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  7. thecoinlover

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. NumismaticN00B

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  9. rarecoin

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. WRSiegel

WRSiegel Freshman

Thanks Taylor, yours is good too.

And yours too Zach

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Good luck to all...

4. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

So it must be about the Mercury Dime? Can it be the Walking Liberty half dollar or something else close to the same timeframe?

All the good essays have been written! :(

5. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

Great job, Will!!!

6. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

I think anything in the 16 to 45 timeframe.

7. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Or even what happened in the year the coin was minted.

8. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

So it can be completely unrelated to the Mercury dime?

9. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Well I don't think many would be to interested in thestory of the farm boy from the “Show ME” state that went to England but me.

roygpa likes this.
  10. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

11. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

You know I used to live in Missouri

12. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Yeah Dad really liked the idea of going.

13. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

14. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

Is this some sort of inside joke?

15. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

16. Chappa DappaDah

Chappa DappaDah New Member

Sounds like someone is too lazy to do his homework, and is fishing for a short essay to turn in to the teacher.

Nice try, but you need to do your own work, pal.

17. susannyny

susannyny Member

Nice job so far on the essays! Good luck all!!
    Really, a very nice contest :) It's nice to see the more seasoned collectors supporting the interest of the younger collectors.

I don't know much about coins (although I'm learning more and more from these message boards!), but I do love the idea of this contest.

18. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

What? Who needs to do their own work?

19. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

I think he's saying Linde is in school during the summer and is wanting to cheat on a short essay about mercury dimes. See last time I checked no school offers classes on the in-depth history of us coinage; of course I could be wrong.

20. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Just to set the record straight LindeDad's children are in college. This is just to spur some interest in coins that are no longer seen in change.

21. eric0911

eric0911 SMS-71

History
    The Winged Liberty Head Dime, commonly(and incorrectly) referred to as the Mercury dime or "Merc", coming from the Roman messenger god, is commonly called the most beautiful small silver coin minted by the United States. But even better than the design is the history. The wings on her cap representing freedom of thought, the roman fasces representing readiness to go to war, the olive branch representing peace, and most importantly, the phrygian cap representing one thing:Liberty. The Liberty Head Dime was designed by Adolph A. Weinman, A German immigrant who also designed the Walking Liberty Half Dollar and what will be the reverse of the American Palladium Eagle once it is released. The design was put on to U.S. Dimes from 1916 to 1945. The Liberty Head Dime is and was considered a large upgrade from the Barber coinage that was considered to be ugly and boring by the public.
    Collecting
    Winged Liberty Dimes are very popular among collectors. These coins were minted at Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco, with no coins being minted in 1922. They are composed of 90% silver, and each coin contains .0723 troy ounces of pure silver, making common date coins appeal to silver bullion investors as "junk" silver. For collectors, most dates can be had in MS grades for affordable prices, but there are some key dates. Perhaps the most famous is the 1916-D piece, currently priced at $850 in Good-4. Other key dates include the 1921 (P) at $55 on numismedia and, and the 1921-D at $70 on numismedia. There are also many interesting varieties in the Winged Liberty series, the most notable being the 1942 (P) and 1942-D 2 over 1 overdates. The 1942 (P) overdate has one of the boldest and most dramatic overdates of any United States coin. These 1942 (P) and 1942-D overdates are valued at $460 and $445, respectively. These silver coins are some of the most beautiful and interesting coins ever minted by the U.S.

P.S. I made this article focusing on the coin. If the contest requires info on what was happening when the coin was made, let me know and I can make another.

Draft saved Draft deleted