YN contest Mercury dime giveaway.

Discussion in 'Contests' started by LindeDad, Jul 17, 2011.

?

Which one do you like the best. Names are listed in order of their posting.

Poll closed Jul 27, 2011.
  1. zach24

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Taylor101

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. WRSiegel

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. eric0911

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. bradarv90

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. Augestine1992

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  7. thecoinlover

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. NumismaticN00B

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  9. rarecoin

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

LindeDad’s first give away on Coin Talk. This is for the young numismatics out there let’s say 18 or younger. Rules are pretty simple I want to see a short essay on the history of the times when the series of the coin was issued or and please tell us what the symbolism of the devices is a little info on the designer might be nice to know also. Original work will be graded higher by me so not all just cuts and pastes please. Remember that most of us have already read the “RED BOOK” and Wikipedia is available to everybody so a little more depth will probably be the winner. Let’s say the deadline will be 3:00 PM PDST next Sunday. And the Judgewill decide a winner then.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh yes the prize is the coin pictured.
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Cool contest, good luck to all the entrants.

But I gotta ask, did you submit that coin for grading?

4. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

No I did not submit it someone else had the honer. I got it on eBay.

5. Incarnate

Incarnate New Member

Great contest!!

6. WRSiegel

WRSiegel Freshman

Im glad my 19th birthday is at the end of August :)

So the essay is for the history of 1916-1945?
    Can it be on one time period in that window, like an essay on WWII?
    Im a little hazy sorry!

7. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

I made the rules hazy so the writer can do what they want just looking for a good read.

8. lunar lord

lunar lord Junior Member

dang im 19 lol

9. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Weird coin to get slabbed, haha and definitely a cool prize.

10. WRSiegel

WRSiegel Freshman

How long should it be then?

11. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

PM. sent, tell me what you think!!

12. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Only a couple of hunderd words is fine. I don't think we can do the War and Peace thing in a week.

Zach24 that looks good why don't you go ahead and post it as the first player.

Yes I think just posting them to this tread will make it interesting for all of us old types to see what you guys and gals are thinking.

13. WRSiegel

WRSiegel Freshman

Thanks, I'll start thinking of what to write about

14. zach24

It was the year 1916, the Barber dime, in the eye of the public had long overstayed it's welcome. The Barber coinage series to many was ugly, and Charles Barber was deemed unartistic. Theodore Roosevelt had wanted a change of the design for quite some time... He had long admired the coinage of the Greeks, and wished that American coins could match their character and beauty. He issued a contest, he wanted Americans to design classicaly beautiful coins.

The official name of the coin was, "Winged Liberty", it was nicknamed, "Mercury", because of the wings on her cap, which resembled those of the Roman god, Mercury. But in fact his wings were located on his shoes, which symbolized speed, as he WAS the Messenger God. Winged Liberty's wings located on her helmet are symbol for freedom of thought.

At the time Charles Barber was Chief engraver, but most considered him a phony, and his designs unartistic. It took many years for his designs to gain collecting interest and appreciation. Amidst Barbers negative Critique, one Adolf Weiner was on his way to designing one of the most iconic coins in American history. His design was selected as the winner of the competition, and his initials can be seen at the lower right of the bust. Rumors began to spread that this was an error, (which in fact it was'nt), the public began to hoard these dimes, which resulted in many early high-grade specimens.

Now every collector knows that the obverse is stunning, But what about the reverse?? The reverse features, Roman fasces that were traditionally carried by Roman magistrates. The fasces are are a historical symbol for "Readiness of war". Then surrounding the fasces is an olive branch. These two symbols when paired together are meant to resemble are country's willingess to go to war, but are basic desire for peace. This is very symbolic of the time, because this design came out amidst WWI, just 1 year before the U.S. entered the war.

Not many years have been looked over by collectors, but some fairly low mintage coins can be had for a low price. Such as the early twenties pieces.

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=361873#ixzz1SQ8K2q8O

15. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

The Mercury Dime was issued from 1916 to 1945. Although, it was called a Mercury Dime, the obverse did not show the Roman God Mercury. The more persise title would be "Winged Liberty head Dime". The obverse dipicts a Portrait of Lady Liberty. Liberty is wearing a Phrygian Cap. This cap represents America's Liberty and Freedom of thought. The reverse design was intended to show America's Preparation for War. T is of a faces and olive branch. The deisgner of both the obverse and the reverse was Aldolph Weinman. Aldolph Weinman was born on December 11, 1870. He arrived in The United States at the age of 10. He took classes at the Copper Union , and he opened his own studio in 1904. He was a member of NSS, and was preident of NSS from 1927 to 1930. E is known for designing the Walkin Liberty Half Dollar and the America Silver Eagle, and the Mercury Dime. He never revieled the name of the model for the Mercury Dime. But most suspect it was Elsie Stevens. He died on Auguest 8, 1952.

16. zach24

Very nice Taylor!!!

17. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Thanks Zach...I love yours tooo...

18. zach24

Well thank very much, it took quite a few references to find some good details....

19. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Well it sure shows...lol

20. WRSiegel

WRSiegel Freshman

Here we go....

It was 1915, rocks were being thrown through windows, people were flipping and burning cars, it was mayhem! That may be exaggerating a bit, but nonetheless, the general public was not happy with the barber dime design. Thankfully, there was a man who had arrived from Germany 35 years earlier, Adolph Weinman, who was to supply the dime with a much needed makeover. When Weinman began to sculpt, he became a student of Augustus Saint-Gaudens, who was a well known sculptor, and designed the Saint-Gaudens gold coin.
    Weinman worked very hard as an apprentice, and by the time the Barber series was to be replaced, he had made a name for himself as one of the most promising sculptors of the time.
    A few years prior to the contest, Weinman had made a bust, supposedly of Elsie Kachel Stevens, wife of the poet Wallace Stevens. Weinman had owned the New York City apartment building that the Stevens’ rented, so either Elsie Stevens allowed Weinman to sculpt her as a favor or the were falling behind on the rent. It’s open to interpretation, I believe. So Weinman used that to design an immaculate entry. The obverse of the coin featured the bust wearing a winged cap, which is thought to symbolize the freedom of thought, outlined in the first ammendment. The reverse featured fasces, an ancient symbol of authority. The top of the reverse depicts a battle-axe, and an olive branch, which contrast in harmony to symbolize what the United States truly represents.
    The coins release was delayed a year until 1916, as the dies were not ready, but it was worth the wait. The coin was welcomed greatly over the Barber designs, and the Mercury Dime, nicknamed mercury because the bust was thought to be the Roman God Mercury, was used until 1945. The coin was replaced so a new design could be used to honor the late great Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
    The Mercury Dime today is thought of to be one of the beautiful US coin ever minted, and it will live on forever as long as there are still collectors, the best of them, being from CoinTalk.

21. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Nice job buddy..

Draft saved Draft deleted