YN Contest-List the Acronyms!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by tommyc03, Jun 5, 2015.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

For a long time I've seen YN's struggle with numismatic terminology. Way too many acronyms in todays society and as the saying goes " I can remember it all, not just all at once". So I figured it would be a great source of reference to list as many as possible acronyms and properly name which/what each one stands for. For example, V.G.=Very Good, ANA=American Numismatic Society, etc.
    The rules-
    #1-You must be 18 or younger to participate
    #2-List and properly describe as complete a list as possible of every acronym you can find.
    #3-Do NOT let this interfere with your home work.
    Pretty simple overall. Hit the Red Book, a grading guide and an error book and may the best YN win.
    Thought I forgot this? The prize will be 20 Brilliant Uncirculated (B.U.) Wexler listed 2009P Formative Years Lincoln Cent errors exceeding $100.00 in current listed value. Most of these will be in at least M.S. 65 condition. It will include a mix of WDDR's & WDDO's. Also included in this lot will be (1) WDDR-043 seven finger variety, a Wexler "Best of" variety currently valued at $35.00.Also, 20 mixed foreign coins of my choice and finally, one full roll of unsearched 2009P Formative Lincoln Cents for you to search for errors, all shipped postage paid.
    This contest will begin 6/6/2015 and end on the 4th of July, 2015, a day to celebrate our country and winning your lot of coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@tommyc03

Boo! ANA - American Numismatic Society?

Chris

Jwt708, rooman9, tommyc03 and 2 others like this.
  4. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

That's probably a trick to throw them off :p

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

funny, and good catch, ANS

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Lol! But credit him for trying. His heart is in the right place. :D

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Exactly. laughhard.gif

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

9. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Are we supposed to PM you the answers, because if I answer the next guy could just copy and paste my list and add 1 more or something like that?

charlietig likes this.
  10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yes, actually, I wanted to see if you were awake or snoozing in the hammock. LOL.

paddyman98 and eddiespin like this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I guess that would probably be the best way now that you mention it. Rule #4-P.M. Me your answers. Thanks for the suggestion.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I should mention, there is plenty of time here, so take the time to move methodically so you can complete as long a possible list as can be. Have a great summer vacation and congratulations to all you new grads!

13. To pm do you just start a conversation with the person you want to pm?

14. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Correct, for instance, if you wanted to PM Tommy, click on his picture or profile name, and click, "start conversation".

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Good one. That sounds like something I'd say, lol. And I've goofed up like that, everybody has. Well, maybe not Doug, but everybody else. :D

tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hey eddie.. do you know American Pharoah?

tommyc03 and eddiespin like this.
  17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Real good. We're stablemates. :)

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Paddy, I taught him everything he knows. :D

19. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Tommy, how about acronyms used here on CoinTalk such as PMD, OP etc?

tommyc03 likes this.
  20. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Any and all of them. I'm sure there are some I have never heard also. That's what could make this interesting. And maybe after this ends, it's something we could add here as a learning tool. I used way too many during my working career, it was quite frustrating then and can be for all newbies and YN's. Although it's not one of the rules, it could be very helpful if these were listed an alphabetical order also. I've seen in the past, when other contests were run, just how thoughtful and concise some of the answers have been. And to the parents-please do not help, this is meant to be a learning experience, not about hitting a home run in Baseball, or a slam in Hockey or a 3 pointer in Basketball. Everyone who tries this is actually a winner by learning by doing. It's about getting away from the X-Box or cell phone, or Net Flix for awhile and applying oneself to a specific task. One that will last a lifetime.

billy b and paddyman98 like this.
  21. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Nice contest @tommyc03 very very generous and LEARNING to boot

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted