YN Contest...... Key Date Coin

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Hommer, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

This is a contest for YN's ( I'm putting the age limit at 21). The Prize is a key date BU 1950 D Jefferson Nickel.
    To enter just write a paragraph about who this is a portrait of (clue postal currency) AND what part did he play in the designs of our (USA) coins and currency that are produced today . Be thorough with your answers and put them in your own words, copy and paste plagiarism will get you disqualified. This contest will end at Midnight Saturday October 8th. 2016 and the winner will be decided based upon how thorough and precise the answers are.
    Old Dude.jpg
    The Prize:
    20161004_220825.png 20161004_220648.png
    GOOD LUCK

Mad Stax, green18, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice prize!

Paddy54 and Hommer like this.
  4. Hommer

5. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Do you want it private messaged or posted here. I know who the person is, but i feel like someone could just see mine and then get half way there you know?

6. Hommer

I have pondered that very question. I think to be fair, the answers should be sent in a PM, After the deadline, so that all can see, I can copy the answers from each individual and post them here.

7. ace71499

I think that's fair... will be drafting answer right after work today.

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Just as a friendly FYI, but you've given participants a much bigger clue than the above. I won't openly say what as I don't know if it was intentional or not.

That said, this is a fine contest, Hommer, and an excellent learning experience. Hopefully many in the younger crowd will take you up on this very generous offer.

Good luck to those participating!

Hommer likes this.
  9. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I think I figured out who the guy in the picture was. I'll be participating for sure.

10. Hommer

Ok guys, there is a little less than 30 hours left. I sincerely hope that you all enter, and take more away more from this than a coin.

11. ace71499

Sent my answer... Thanks for the contest!

Santinidollar and Hommer like this.
  12. Hommer

Since I didn't specify a time zone, I'm in Central, those on the west coast would have an unintentional advantage. So deadline is midnight tonight, Pacific.

13. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

What BOOKS said.....but
    excellent learning experience. Hopefully many in the younger crowd will take you up on this very generous offer. "and a old man like myself" I haven't got a clue...but... I am cheating trying to goggle this.... some how......THANK U MUCH Hommer..............

14. Hommer

The deadline has passed and I am left with a bit of bewilderment here. There was only one "official" entrant.
    With so much information available and easily accessible from the Internet, this was an easy contest, and I had really hoped that more had participated, for the educational part of it, to me at least, was a greater prize than the coin.
    Other than the time of the Independence of our Nation and the writing of our Constitution, has there been a lasting effect of history on the United States than the decade of 1860 to 70. There are volumes upon volumes written on the civil unrest and the laws passed during this time that are still in effect today. So much so, that a person such as Spencer M. Clark could be over looked as being a part of it. Each time I read the question: "Why do we only have dead people on our money?", I think of, not only the tradition set forth by George Washington's refusal to have his likeness placed on a coin, but also the law that was passed because of Clark's arrogant decision to place his own portrait on currency.
    Though he didn't give the main answer I was hoping for, he did enter and is the winner of the coin. Congratulations @ace71499, pm your address and I will get this out to you.
    20161009_111902.png
    I did get another reply from an older member here and am pleased that someone else learned a little from the contest, including me, as I continue to seek out and learn about not only the history of our country, but the part of that history that is attached to our hobby.

Mad Stax likes this.
  15. ace71499

Haha I missed all the information about coins!!! And i mainly collect coins so this is embarrassing. Thanks again for the contest... It was a really good learning experience. Sorry more people didn't join. I thought it was a cool contest

Mad Stax and Hommer like this.
  16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I wasn't eligible (obviously) but did more than a bit of research on Wikipedia. Spencer Clark was one of my possibilities but I couldn't finalize it. Good job on the winner's part!

I hope the lack of entries is not indicative of a dearth of interest in history.

Hommer likes this.
  17. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

Congrats Ace! That's a nice prize. Don't be discouraged Hommer, it's the beginning of the school year, the YNs are probably bogged down with homework :nailbiting:

Hommer likes this.
  18. Hommer

School was one of the reasons for a Saturday deadline. That and the fact that I have a steady job during the week.

19. Hommer

I have that same hope for those who ignore history are destined to repeat it.
    This is the now famous Clark 5 cent note:
    $_1 (1).JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted