Yet another dipping question - ugly Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mill rat41, Feb 28, 2012.

1. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I was interested in some Morgans during the last Goldberg auction live session, but having never used their site before I wanted to make sure there wasn't a bidding/internet delay of some sort so I bid on this Morgan which was well below auction estimate. I figured my "test bid" would be outbid, but sure enough the hammer fell on me and I won it - no biggie I payed the man. I did win the ones I wanted - future thread.

Anyway, this Morgan has the thickest brown and grey toning I have ever seen. But if you hold it at a steep angle, there is some really nice color underneath the brown. Would/could a real quick dip remove the unattractive toning; yet preserve the nice underlying colors? The reverse is a real blazer with very few marks. I won't be trying anything on my own - I have no experience with this sort of thing. Anyone have ideas what causes such toning? FWIW it is graded MS64 NGC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zach67005

zach67005 Active Member

FWIW, I would leave it in the slab.

4. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

You will absolutely not be able to just remove the brown and salvage the attractive toning. Dipping reacts extremely quick and you cannot control its path. In fact, I would bet it eats the colored toning before it removes the brown. I would leave that one in the slab, unless you are ok with it removing all of the toning.

5. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Yep... It's pretty much all or none when dipping... I also probably wouldn't do that particular coin. It won't come out. I would bet the surfaces have been damaged by that toning. It doesn't look like it has nearly the underlying luster to warrant a dip. The darker the toning... The more likely it has damaged the surface.

6. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Thanks gang, responses are as I thought - all or nothing. I'll likely just keep it as it is. I have other 1879 s to fill the hole. Besides, for a sub $75 coin it really wouldn't be worth the trouble. As to the grade, do you guys agree with 64 considering the lack of obverse luster and eye appeal?

7. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I agree I would not dip it. I do not find it unpleasant. I am leaning more than Matt that it would be fine if you did dip it, but I don't see why.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll go with the folks saying not to mess with it.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I agree with the others, leave it. But I think it worthwhile to make an additional comment.

It is not unusual, in fact it is pretty common, that a lot of toned coins that people post pictures of, and I'm talking about posted anywhere from auction sites to forums, will be similar to this one. What I mean by that is this - when viewed from just the right angle the toning appears colorful and attractive. But if you look at the coin from just about any other angle it looks just as dang ugly as this one does.

That's worth keeping in mind when you consider buying a toned coin based on the pictures you see ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted