YES OR NO?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by shilines, Mar 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shilines

shilines Active Member

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

If there's any possible way you could do it like this we will be able to help you, it may take a little time to get the lighting right but we are patience. LOL
    Dave 69708867.jpg

shilines and DallasCoinsNThings like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Well, taking photographs of coins certainly isn't, either! You don't need a 100W bulb! 40W will suffice, but you do need at least two light sources, one at about 10 o'clock and one at about 2 o'clock. These should be positioned at about a 45-degree angle so the light bounces away from the camera lens. From the blurry image, you also need something to stabilize your camera. There must be some sort of copy stand or tripod on the market that can be adapted for iPhones. If you don't want to invest in the equipment needed to take good photos, then knitting as a hobby is your better alternative.

Chris

Spark1951 likes this.
  5. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I guess so, maybe, I dunno.

6. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm sorry, we need a focused picture. You are really close, notice how the camera focused the background ( your hand) really well. You need to focus the coin the same way.

7. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Yes

Spark1951 likes this.
  8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

You are trying to take a picture TOO Close to the penny.
    Your camera cannot focus that close.

Also, do not have it in your hand as both your hands are every slowly moving creating motion blur.

Put the penny on a flat surface with plenty of light on a white piece of paper.
    Try to stabilize the camera with your other hands / lean against the table.
    and make sure the image is IN Focus before you take a picture.
    you may have to be further away than you think.
    then edit the image and crop it to make it larger.

then post that image of both the front and back.

I think Maybe Yes, or maybe No. but leaning to No until we get a good image. but then, I'm just learning too ....

DallasCoinsNThings likes this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Someone else here suggested stacking a few books on your table, and putting your phone on top of the books with the camera hanging over the edge. That will hold the camera steady above the coin. Maybe give that a try? As @Clawcoins said, you may need to keep it further away from the coin than you have been.

I know how to produce the effect from your first photo in Photoshop, and I also know that some telephoto lenses do the same thing when they're out of focus. I'm not sure how you're getting it from a simple phone or handheld camera.

I apologize for my original assumption; I figured you were posting a photo from someone else, and was pretty sure they were messing with you. As long as you're willing to keep trying to get better photos, I'll try to help.

DallasCoinsNThings likes this.
  10. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

OP - the reason your coin does not look like the king 1969-s is that there are probably several versions. The 1955 / 1955 cent is a DDO the poor man's 1955 / 5
    is also a double die obverse. The difference in value runs from over a thousand bucks down to a dollar or two. For close up pictures look at the forums on the CONECA website. To learn the approximate values look in the cent volume of the CHERRY PICKERS GUIDE. When there are multiple versions the ones that are easiest to see with the naked eye are usually the most popular and valuable. Most of these are easiest to see with higher grade coins. The market is thin and many more examples exist than can be sold for the minor varieties. Sometimes it seems like they are invisible until they appear in the Redbook then the demand explodes. I
    find them and put them aside. Later I'll trade my duplicates for ones that I don't already own. People who do buy generally only want specimens in high grades
    MS-63 or higher.

Nyatii likes this.
  11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Even if not the case, it was a perfectly reasonable assumption and one you were not alone in making.

Camera shake can sometimes result in what may appear to be doubling, but this doesn't explain what we see here. Still, based upon things the OP has said in the past, I cannot help but to think this less of a serious question and more her attempt at making a point.

12. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I believe Dougsmit on the Ancients part suggested using a glass to rest your camera on, with the coin laying outside of it on a something white like paper. I've done this and the pics have come out reasonably well.

13. cpm9ball

I don't like to recommend poor solutions that produce less-than-adequate results. I've seen too many lousy images posted on this site that are the result of using jerry-rigged equipment.

Chris

14. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

Those are some of the blurriest pictures of a coin I've ever seen... Sorry, but I can't help you without better pictures.

15. Nyatii

Cent 2.jpg
    Maybe you are right.
    A glass & piece of paper - 10 second set up.

16. cpm9ball

It's comforting to know that one person - yes, one person! - out of hundreds can get it right. Go back the last few years and look at other less-than-stellar examples. That is exactly why I recommend using the proper equipment because if someone plans on making numismatics their primary hobby, they should.

Chris

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  17. Nyatii

Yes, I understood what you were getting at Chris. I was just trying to show the OP a simple way she might be able to get her phone to take better pics. I have good cameras and lighting, but just wanted her to see what could be done with the phone if she used a simple rest.

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

@shilines, your pictures are good enough to see that's a "D" mint mark under that date, so your answer is "No."

19. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

Ahh yes... The old (...) then cap it off with a facetious 'I LOVE YOU' routine. I have five sisters... know it well.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2018
  20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

21. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Yes or no.

Is that simple enough for you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.