Yes folks icg got it right

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rascal, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

FUN was like a year ago, dude.

:p

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And like a circle, it's coming around again........:)

4. green18

Brockage or Off Center/

OK. Need a quick opine on this one. I just found it not more than an hour ago, as I was rummaging around, in an old beer stein that I haven't seen in years. How it got there I can only imagine. It's been twenty years or more since I looked at that stein.

IMG_2010-horz.jpg

5. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

it looks like a nice struck off center coin but something looks weird on the right side of it. Do you have it in some kind of a coin holder ? this may be what I'm seeing.

6. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Here's something fun. Below are images of an 1814 CBH, heavily clashed, along side a photoshopped 1815 that illustrates clashing. Compare the two and you can see the very common clashing elements CBH's are famous for.
    Lance.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Neither one IMO. Technically I believe it would be a different type depending on whether or not it was decided to use it. Example - satin finish coins are not a variety, they are a different type. But at some point in the beginning the satin finish was experimental.

The Sacky coins mentioned are an example of where it goes the other way, in some people's opinions. Some consider the burnished Sacky's a variety. But because they were intentionally burnished by the mint specifically to set them apart from the regular Sacky's, they would have to be a completely different type, again in my opinion. But you'll sure find others who disagree.

There will never be a consensus on what defines a variety or an error. And in some cases, a type.

8. green18

It's probably the way I cropped the photo. Try these, with limited cropping.......

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

Also, the coin itself feels thinner than a regular cent.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That's interesting, Greenie. Personally, I wouldn't jump on the O/C bandwagon just yet because it appears to be slightly oblong from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock. If you have a higher power magnification, maybe a microscope, can you take a close look at the gap between the upset rim and the "D...W" of IGWT? I'm not sure, but it looks like there may be lettering on that space.

Chris

10. cpm9ball

Yep! Every year since 1955, I think.

Chris

11. green18

Don't have a microscope but I re-cropped and (hopefully) enlarged a bit......

crop2.JPG

12. cpm9ball

It's too blurry for me to tell, Ken, but thanks for trying.

Chris

13. green18

I just put a 14x loupe on the area and I think that what you might be interpreting as lettering is actually a rim ding Chris.

14. cpm9ball

I wasn't sure what it is, but it was worth a try to see. I'm pretty certain that it is not your typical O/C strike, though.

Chris

15. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Very nice example of a clashed die (left)! I get the feeling Rascal would want us to believe the photo-shopped 1815 coin on the right is actually a clashed die. :dead-horse:

16. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

although this coin has some suspicous looking areas in the fields of it I still thank it is a genuine error coin. I could be wrong and it sure would not be the first time. some fake coins will fool about anyone where the counterfeiters make their own dies.

17. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

whats u talking about , the photo on the right? anyone can tell that two of the photos is overlay photos. that poor old dead horse , you need to stop beating on him LOL

18. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

There is nothing about that bust half to suggest either a contemporary or modern counterfeit die.

19. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Rascal, If that bust half is a fake I'll eat YOUR shoe.

20. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Hey don't eat my old shoe. I never said anything was a fake . I have no idea where you came up with that. I only mentioned that two of the photos was overlay photos and they are. I never said a word about the clashed die bust coins.

21. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.