Yes folks icg got it right

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rascal, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DW-coins

DW-coins Slave to coins...

Rascal, I loved you in that movie "Big Fish"!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Now how did you know that was me ? Hey stop telling on me or everyone is going to figure out who I am, "just kidding" , I believe most of you have already found out.

4. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

It does make sense. It seems noone was willing to chance it, and that, in my opinion, was due to the fact it's in an ICG slab. rascal was willing to take that chance, and even he admitted he wasn't certain until it arived in hand. There are many opinions on the value attached to, as well as the liquidity of ICG slabs (mainly negative...and they DO bring less money for the same coin in another TPG's slab, perhaps as much as 95%, if not more, and it's for a good reason...they tend to overgrade ALOT...in addition to grading coins that would otherwise not be graded by other TPG's).

As far as the slab being fake, I would strongly doubt that an '88, with a die clash, in EF45 would be counterfeited. I say let's just see how this plays out and hope the coin is a legit error, and rascal found a nice error, and paid 'squat' for it, in other words, a nice rip.

Remember, also, costs to have it crossed over include having it shipped/insured both ways, service charge, grading fees, attribution designation fees....it can run more than 'just a few bucks' for a coin to be submitted. With this one, I'd leave it in it's current slab, and IF it IS determined to be a genuine error, then perhaps rascal might consider crossing it. Regardless, with the grade being EF, I think it's fine to just leave it as is. If rascal likes it, that's all that matters, isn't it (the first rule of collecting.....collect what you enjoy, and rascal seems to like errors and varieties). Now, if it were, say, a '55 DDO, then, yes, the crossover (an immediate one) is without question worth it, and more importantly, necessary to authenticate such a sought after, expensive piece, as even a '55 DDO in a 'genuine', or 'net graded' example, in a major TPG slab, is definitely worth the money. rascal will do with it when he feels it's time, and when he feels it's worth the time and HIS money.

5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Rascal, All I was saying was that the seller took a huge loss. I thought it strange a seller would put himself in that position, but that's possible. Guess he learned a lesson. My wording may have confused you. I never said a different coin was put into the slab. I simply outlined a few things that illustrates that the seller made a huge mistake to take the time and effort to have this graded and slabbed and turn around and sell it for a loss to him. I questioned why a seller would do that, not why you would purchase something off ebay you felt would be worth lots more than the price you paid, and that you could enjoy or resell later for a profit. If you are correct, which a lot of other people here disagree on, then you have made a decent purchase for what you have. If the others are correct, then your loss was less than the person who sent the coin in. Guess it all comes down to that. After giving it consideration, I don't think it's worth your time or money to send it to anyone other than someone like Mike Diamond (which is fairly low cost) to verify it, and maybe not that. Enjoy your coin. I still have doubts about this one being a true mint error, but that's my opinion. Nothing more or less. To me it seems more likely it was caused by a person with a vise or hammer or something, and I usually find that things that can be either explained by something common (the hammer type job) or something extremely unlikely (the die clashing in such a particular way that it doesn't act the way one would expect from two "aligned" dies that are acting in the manner they are supposed to) are usually explained/caused by the former.

6. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Kasia what you are saying here makes some common sense to me. Some of you folks are probably just starting out learning about coins and it does not do any good for me to try to explain these complicated ones on this CT forum. I'm looking for something other than a clashed die , but a clashed die is possible if the reverse die was severly damaged before the clash and all of the full force of the clash was applied to this one small area of the die only. The hammer / squeeze job was easily ruled out on this coin for numerous reasons. I have more coin pro friends that will examine this coin free for me If I need more help with it.

7. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

8. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

9. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

When you say that you are 'looking for something other than a clashed die' are you saying you are looking for the dies. Don't be a smarty pants and learn what a clash mark is and what a clashed die is.

10. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

This story is constantly changing. I can't believe any of it.

11. KennyMac

KennyMac 82nd Airborne Division

I've always believed that...."A closed mouth gathers no foot".....

Happy Freakin' Holidays.

12. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

How generous of you to not bore us with the explanations. Truthfully, it's what this forum is about. People who know something will share their knowledge and enlighten the less knowledgeable people. It appears to me that you are either unclear as to how to explain the coin or you don't know enough to do so. My money is on number two.

Stop arguing about what people have said and tell them why they're wrong. Explain why this coin is an error and why the impression on the coin is there. Explain what the coin would look like it is was a "squeeze job" and how it would be different from yours. Share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of us. I'm always looking to learn something new.

I don't know much about errors and varieties but I know that the knowledge of the minting process is the key to discerning errors from damaged coins. Tell us at what point in the minting process your coin was affected at. Theorize if you must, but let's have a direct discourse about the coin and the error so that people can learn something.

At times you seem to make comments that lead me to believe that you truly do understand what you're referring to on this coin, but you spend so much time bickering with everyone about personal stuff that the real purpose of the thread gets lost in the sea of irrelevant posts.

13. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

You know, I thought the same thing at one point. But I think that it's a case of someone just throwing everything plus the kitchen sink out there and hoping something sticks. The key here is that much less stuff sticks than does not.

14. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Well folks this thread is 15 pages long and I have did my best to explain this coin to you and hopefully some of you that wanted to learn did learn a few things. I don't see a reason for me to continue on with it so this is my last post on this thread. If I find out any more information about the coin in question I may tell you about it on another thread so you don't have to dig thru zillions of pages. all of you folks that want to keep this thread open then you are welcome to it. Happy Holidays to you all. Troy

15. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Never in a million years would I have expected to see this:
    Another thread would be the third for this particular coin, so, please, don't bother, Troy!

16. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

merry christmas and happy new year!

17. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

This thread is getting too populated with sensible posts.

It must be time to start a third thread on this same topic and try once again to control the message

18. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

OK...I know I should just let this go (and I will), but I went through all the threads related to this coin in an attempt to understand the question...if there was one. This pretty much sums up what I found...:rolling:

November 24th 2011

November 28th 2011

December 7th 2011

December 16th 2011

December 17th 2011

December 23rd 2011

19. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

That about sums it up Yak.
    I think the OP needs a theme song for his threads on this PMD coin. I'll recomend this one. It's a Randy Travis song but I couldn't find a good version of his. This kid does an adequate cover. http://www.youtube.com/embed/U_6d_YjmMcM?rel=0"

20. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living." Dr. Suess

Rascal.... It's ok, the doctor said so! (see quote above)​

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Aw. I thought it was going to be that old country standard, "Here's a PMD Cent, Call Someone Who Cares"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.