Yes folks icg got it right

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rascal, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

IGC labeled it correctly yet it's not a die clash?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I must admit that these pictures are indeed far superior to the first and as such you can expect a clearer analysis from people after posting these.

I am not an expert on varieties, errors, etc. and I don't profess to know jack squat about them, but my question is this:

Your thread here is entitled Yes, ICG got it right. Why does that surprise you? What is the reason that you said "I told you so"? and what do you mean by "true mint error"?

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Well rascal, if this were a game of chess I'd say you just "check"ed me. It's not checkmate until you post clear pictures of the opposite side though.

5. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

it does look like a china fake slab ?

6. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

In Fairness to Rascal and the coin, since he has posted better pics of the obverse, I hope that rascal doesn't mind if I just took his photo and put it on here in a format that allows more of a blow up of the picture. I was interested in the area on Lincoln's nose and opinions if it is possible for a die to clash in such a manner as to place only part of the die impression on the coin, yet manage to smash up areas that normally die clashes aren't seen doing. Such as on Lincoln's nose as seen in the picture.

Also in Fairness to rascal, if you don't think this is a die clash based on this photo, then just either say so or ignore the post. Let's try not to get into things with him over a post I am doing. BTW rascal, the only change I made to your photo was to put it in PhotoScape and resize it.

Attached Files:

7. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I see some rim damage. Also just above the "R" there appears to be some slight rim distortion.

rim.jpg

8. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

This is how one expert discribes it;
    It's an obvious squeeze job. The incuse design elements cross Lincoln's face, which is not possible considering how high the relief is in this area. You'll also note that some of the incuse elements invade the design rim, which is also not possible in a clash. All other sources of incuse, mirror-image design elements (e.g., brockage, flipped over dropped filling) are also inadmissable. ICG got it hysterically wrong. This will be my only comment on this vandalized coin.

9. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

This is a tiny dent from being in circulation. the area above

the R is in perfect condition , this is a small raised up area that is bright looking. I'm thankful that this 88 cent is one of the coins that has the razor sharp looking inner top rim.some of the 88's have the rounded type rim. the inside top of the rim still retains it's high razor sharp look and this proves nothing was over the rim at all except air when this happened to this coin. I hope it turns out to be what I'm hoping it is. if it is just a clashed die I will keep it anyway. Troy

10. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

sorry rockdude , i'm not going to get involved here. I know what you are trying to do and it won't work. do you think a experts opinion is always right ? everyone that deals with error coins or any kind of coins including me makes many mistakes and we are only human and not some kind of a God. Troy

11. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Sometimes you makes sense and other times, well you don't. The expert quoted has more credential's then you so I say you are wrong.

12. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Yea it doesn't look like the incuse letters intrude on the edge. Looking only at the field, it looks good. But when you throw in an impression across the profile it doesn't look good anymore.

13. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yes, it's true that everyone makes a mistake now and then, but, unlike you, everyone else will admit their mistakes.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I agree completely. But I would ask, does your comment about experts making mistakes not also apply to ICG ? It is quite possible they made the mistake - by your own words.

Me ? I wouldn't claim to know what it is.

15. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I realize what you are saying and I know that ICG or any other grading service can make mistakes. I'm just going by my own opinion and one other guys opinion on this coin. I was just like the rest of you before I looked at the coin in hand , we need to learn that digital photos are not much good to identify a coin with unless it is a well known error or variety and easy to see. some folks on here have even been saying the ICG slab is a fake..... well I confirmed last night the slab is real. here's the email I received from ICG.

Hi,

This serial number does pull up a 1988 1c MS/RB Penny with a “Major Die Clash” attribute. This grade was a EF 45 and was graded in November of this year.

Thank you,

Abbie Dauenheimer
    ICG
    edit

16. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Fake slabs are going to reference authentic slabs. An email verification from ICG only provides proof that a such a slab exists but doesn't necessarily provide absolute proof the slab you have is the authentic one.

17. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

Take it to NGC, PGCS, someone like them.

18. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

19. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Really? Would you claim to know what it's not?

20. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Velly velly interestink! You got a confirmation that this was graded in Nov 2011, meaning one month ago. You won the auction when?....Early Dec?. That means pretty much that this was (if in fact is the coin that was graded, which I don't know that it wasn't) submitted as an error when the tier plus error attribution (if attribution was provided with the coin) costs 19.00, not including the shipping and insurance that many people use when shipping the coins. And you bought it for about 12.00 on ebay. (plus sh/h or was that included?). The seller then had to pass on 12 percent or so of that to ebay in fees. So, essentially the seller maybe got 10.50 or less for this coin, unless you paid sh/h and he made some money that way... This just doesn't make sense to me.

21. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Really I don't think anything could tell you anything that make any sense to you. But I'll give it a try anyway. I buy and sell things on Ebay myself and I know how it works. If you are dumb enough to list a item for less than you bought it for and someone wins the bid for it no matter how much you lose you are obligated to send the item to the winning bidder. The Ebay person I got this awesome coin from was the person that sent it to IGC so you other folks can stop implying that the slab may be fake or the coin was switched. This Ebay seller has all of the paperwork for the coin and I can get it if I want to. They also told me they lost a lot of cash on this deal. I have made a lot of cash off ebay item's and I have also lost on some I sold. Ebay is a good place if you know what you are doing and if you don't then don't bid. One night I was on Ebay in the glass section and a rare vase popped up for 12.00 on buy it now , I got lucky because I have super high cable internet and hit the buy it now button before anyone else could. soon as I received that beautiful piece I put it back on Ebay and sold it for close to 700.00 I know Kaisa you will not believe that story. LOL but it is true and I do this all the time every time I can grab something. If it's coins or glass you better get it fast or I will. Mean old Rascal . LOL

Troy W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.