Yemeni Imadi and Ahmadi riyals

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Numismat, May 21, 2015.

1. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Hope you guys don't mind the handful of threads I'm about to start. Today I looked through my collection for the first time in 2 years and fell back in love with a lot of coins that were sorta slipping out the back door of my mind. Ideally I wanted to post just about everything, but that would be overkill with over 800 coins, so just a few will have to suffice :)

Here we have two silver "crowns" from Yemen, the first is an Imadi riyal dated AH1344 (1925). Krause notes that it was possibly struck for multiple years with a frozen date. This seems to be true as they are pretty common and often found with little or no circulation. This is also one of those coins that makes me scratch my head, as people will pay $300+ for a slabbed MS65, when you can easily get a raw one in the same condition for under $100 and at just about any time you wish to do so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second is the Ahmadi riyal, dates AH1375 (1955). Also fairly common and easy to get in mint state. The cool thing about these is that anyone I show them to that is not familiar thinks they are much older than 1955. They were also overstruck on 1930's-50's restrikes of the Maria Theresia thaler and often show signs of the host coin. Most notable, lettering on the flat high points of the crossed swords (doesn't show on my coin).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J.A.K. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

very interesting coins. especially that 1st coin. cool. keep posting. us world coin collectors need more to look at. :snaphappy:

Numismat likes this.
  4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Yes we sure do, it's too quiet in world coins section most of the time. That's why I don't feel bad about starting like 7 threads in a row :)

J.A.K. and spirityoda like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted