Yellow mint set nickel 1974

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Oct 18, 2019.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Is it normal for these to look sort of yellow??

IMG_7220.jpg IMG_7221.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

That's not yellow, that's toning! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

Brina likes this.
  4. MatrixMP-9

Islander..Ive heard of it but is it a good thing??? I thought toning was from being burried under dog crap since the summer of 68?

Islander80-83 likes this.
  5. MatrixMP-9

Tried to get better pics. the camera likes to take the color out. Its kind of yellow and green and even like some gold and blue. The plastic is really making it tough.
    Seems most prevalent around the rim

IMG_7230.jpg IMG_7231.jpg

6. Islander80-83

Welcome to the coin world. I would say you just touched on a major subject (toning pros and cons) in the coin community. It's all personal preference. Some like it and call it natural, others don't like it and call it damage.

It's a never ending debate. Ask 10 collectors, you will most likely get 10 different definitions and explanations.

Spark1951 and Hookman like this.
  7. Islander80-83

I actually feel the same way but don't tell anyone here I said that. There are those here that would take major exception to that. :hilarious:

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's toned and yes it's normal. The smallest hole in the plastic allows enough air to make a coin tone.

Islander80-83 and Hookman like this.
  9. MatrixMP-9

Does it hurt the value to open it? Not that I care too much but I just gotta feel these stupid things!!!

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not to me. I think the value would be the same. If the entire set was toned, that would be different.

11. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  12. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Personally , I never remove anything from sealed Mint packaging, but to each his own.
    As others say : 10 people, 10 opinions.

Brina likes this.
  13. Islander80-83

It's not normal, it didn't leave the mint like that. So it's post mint damage.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  14. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Do you see what you started there, Matrix ?

10 and 10

15. Islander80-83

I thought @Collecting Nut would take the bait. I really don't care one way or the other. I'm just raging on him! ;)

16. MatrixMP-9

17. MatrixMP-9

All in fun!!!!!!!

Damn trouble making nickels....

18. MatrixMP-9

To me it looked like a coin that might have spent a decade under a table at the bingo hall. Totally looks like smoke damage to me....like the curtains in my grandmas house that were honest to God white in 1975. Seriously, I think its neat compared to most the crap I come across. You can see all the stairs and its just a pretty coin. Its cool to have pictures because over a few decades, Im sure it will continue to change in one way or another.

19. Islander80-83

There are many (dramatic) examples of this type of toning in mint and proof sets.

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 12.39.11 AM.png

Brina and Collecting Nut like this.
  20. MatrixMP-9

Wow...quite a bit different. Much more dramatic yes. I wonder if I just leave mine be for a long time. The camera doesnt get it but there is some toning on the other coins on mine but nowhere near like this. Being honest, Its cool but Im not sure I like it. Looks too much like common PMD from heat or being burried etc. If Im going to have a mint state coin, I want it looking really lustery and silver. Having said that, the pennies in my packs are really red and I like that though.

21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Toning, natural and nice. I'd leave it in the plastic.

Heavymetal and Paddy54 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted