Year of the (top) 10 Ptolemies

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Dec 18, 2021.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

This year I really put a lot of my effort towards focusing on and acquiring coins of Ptolemaic Egypt. Reading about its fascinating history, rulers, and exploring it virtually in its twilight years led me to make this one of my main collecting areas as I try to obtain nice/rare examples on my modest budget. Naturally, I felt myself drawn towards larger coins rather than smaller ones, so I was more on the lookout for the larger bronze coins, especially the drachms. But eventually I started to look more at the smaller coins as well, especially harder-to-find types such as the Ptolemy I and Berenice II on my list. My white whale is an octobol (the ~80 to 100 gram monsters), but unfortunately I was outbid on the two I tried to go for, so hopefully next year I'll have better luck. In total I bought around 20 Ptolemaic coins this year, with me selling off a few that were underwhelming in hand or that I upgraded, to help me buy more Ptolemaic coins. So I believed it was appropriate for me to set up a top-10 list for them. A few of these will also make appearances as part of my top-10 list for all my acquisitions in 2021.

This list is ordered chronologically, not in any particular preference.

1. Ptolemy I Soter (as Satrap), Ptolemaic Egypt
    AE hemiobol
    Obv: Bust of Aphrodite right, wearing stephane
    Rev: ΠTOΛE, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, wings spread
    Mint: Paphos
    Date: 310-305 BC
    Ref: Svoronos 79
    Size: 3.1 gr., 16 mm

pi.jpg

2. Ptolemy II Philadelphus, Ptolemaic Kingdom
    AE drachm
    Obv: Diademed head of Zeus-Ammon right
    Rev: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, two eagles standing left on thunderbolt, Θ between left eagle's legs
    Mint: Alexandria
    Date: 267-259 BC
    Ref: Svoronos 463
    Size: 71 gr., 42 mm

piid.jpg

3. Ptolemy II Philadelphus, Ptolemaic Kingdom
    AE diobol
    Rev: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, eagle with open wings standing left on thunderbolt, Σ over shield to left, I between legs
    Date: 285-246 BC
    Ref: Svoronos 576
    Size: 15.6 gr., 28 mm

pii.jpg

4. Ptolemy III Euergetes, Ptolemaic Kingdom
    AE hemiobol
    Rev: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, eagle standing left on thunderbolt with wings closed, cornucopia over shoulder, XP monogram between legs
    Date: 246-222 BC
    Ref: Svoronos 968
    Size: 5.4 gr., 18 mm

piii.jpg

5. Berenice II Euergetes, Ptolemaic Kingdom
    AE16
    Obv: BEΡENIKHΣ BAΣIΛIΣΣHΣ, diademed and draped bust right
    Rev: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, wings spread, EY to left
    Mint: Ras Ibn Hani
    Date: 246-221 BC
    Ref: Svoronos 1056
    Size: 4 gr., 17 mm

berenike.jpg

6. Ptolemy IV Philopator, Ptolemaic Kingdom
    AE drachm (Series 5)
    Rev: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, eagle with closed wings standing left on thunderbolt; filleted cornucopia to left, ΔI between legs
    Date: 222-204 BC
    Ref: CPE B495, Svoronos 1125, SNG Cop 199
    Size: 65.94 gr., 42 mm

p4d.jpg

7. Ptolemy IV Philopator, Ptolemaic Kingdom
    AE drachm
    Rev: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, eagle with closed wings standing left on thunderbolt; filleted cornucopia to left, ΛI between legs
    Ref: CPE B493, Svoronos 1126
    Size: 69.29 gr., 42 mm

pivd1.jpg

8. Ptolemy IV Philopator, Ptolemaic Kingdom
    AE tetrobol
    Rev: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, looking right, wings spread, ΣE between legs
    Mint: Cyrene
    Ref: Svoronos 1148
    Size: 45.3 gr., 38 mm

pivt.jpg

9. Ptolemy V Epiphanes, Ptolemaic Kingdom
    AE27
    Obv: Bearded head of Herakles right, wearing lionskin headdress
    Rev: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, looking right, wings closed, caduceus behind shoulder, K between legs
    Date: 204-180 BC
    Ref: Svoronos 1376
    Size: 13.3 gr., 27 mm

pv.jpg

10. Ptolemy XII Auletes and Cleopatra VII, Ptolemaic Kingdom
    AR tetradrachm
    Obv: Diademed head of Ptolemy I right, in aegis
    Rev: ΠTOΛEMAIOY BAΣIΛEΩΣ, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, palm over right shoulder, regnal year LΛ (year 30 of Ptolemy) above headdress of Isis to left, ΠA to right
    Date: 52-51 BC
    Ref: Svoronos 1840
    Size: 8.1 gr., 25 mm (definitely lighter than the standard so I'm hoping this isn't a fake [no seam though], wondering if someone would be able to help me out with this, maybe @Broucheion ?)

pxiitet.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Curtis, Struck7, Curtisimo and 37 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice selections, @ValiantKnight. Thanks for sharing.

I like those large-size 42mm bronze drachm coins. Feels like a medal.

7Calbrey and ValiantKnight like this.
  4. ValiantKnight

Almost forgot. Please feel free to post any Ptolemies you might have :)

Cucumbor likes this.
  5. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

I only have this one…. 6607696A-D815-421F-9613-CF4D7DB2A681.jpeg

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

By far my favorite Ptolemy is the Ptolemy II tetradrachm with year date corrected (overdate) 34/33. Sure I wish it were mint sate. Who has that one?
    g92500bb0250.jpg
    3433ptol.jpg

Apologies to those who have seen this a hundred times.

7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Very cool year:cigar:
    And a Ptolemy l as Satrap:wideyed:
    Here's a couple Ptolemy lls from this year:
    1444.jpg
    1598002_1608741459.l-removebg-preview.png

Px6
    2112865_1628875428.l-removebg-preview.png

And the hard to come by son daddy tried to forget, poor Ptolemy Keraunos
    2135477_1630245520.l-removebg-preview.png

8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Love those eagles on #2. Do the two have any significance? The others are attractive too.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    ValiantKnight likes this.
  9. Silphium Addict

Silphium Addict Well-Known Member

Great Ptolemaic coins!
    @ValiantKnight I like the early Ptolemy I AEs similar to your #1.

Here's two of my early Ptolemy I AEs from Kyrenaika when he consolidated control after the 305-300 revolt and put his name or portrait on the coins:
    jt487.jpg
    Kyrene, Ptolemy I 300-282 BC
    AE hemiobol 3.15 gm, 16 mm
    O: laureate head Apollo right
    R: eagle standing left on thunderbolt, wings spread, ΦΑ monogram upper left, silphium plant lower left, PTOLMAI[OY] to right
    BMC 5c(XXVIII:12A); Asolati 38C (this coin illustrated); CPE B144

jt453.jpg
    Kyrene, Ptolemy I 300-294 BC
    AE hemiobol 4.3 gm, 16 mm
    O: diademed head Ptolemy right
    R: eagle standing right, wings spread; KAE and IΓKP monograms upper right; silphium plant & crab lower right
    BMC5e(XXVIII:18B); Asolati 39b; Lorber B145
    ex-Boston MFA 17.3380

The latter coin shares a monogram with Kyrene AV staters and AR didrachms

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  10. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

great coins, thanks for sharing, I have one that is in this year's top 10

11. ValiantKnight

Yes! From what I found online, the two eagles represent Ptolemy II and his adopted son, Ptolemy Nios. The dates 267-259 in the description refer to the time of their co-regency.

longshot likes this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A very nice assortment! I have a ton of Ptolemy bronzes (well, not a ton, but over a kilo :D) but most are rather unremarkable Zeus-Ammon/Eagle types from Alexandria. Maybe someday I'll take a deeper dive like you're doing and add other mints and types. My favorites from this list are the Ptolemy I Aphrodite and the Berenice II.

13. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

V.K., It looks like you had an excellent year adding Ptolemaic coinage :happy:. I like the hefty bronze coins, #6 & 7 :D. Very light weights on late Ptolemaic Tets aren't unusual, so don't feel paranoid about #10 ;). I sold the Ptolemy Tet pictured below at a Heritage auction a long time ago.
    NGC 2420228-001 obv..jpg Ptolemy IV Tet (2).jpg

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice selection of hockey pucks :D

Here's the best I can do

[​IMG]
    Ptolemy II Philadelphos : Obol (Bronze), Alexandria, circa 260s-246 BC.
    Diademed head of the deified Alexander III to right, wearing elephant skin headdress and aegis around his neck, and with horn of Ammon on his forehead.
    ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ Eagle with open wings standing left on thunderbolt;between the eagle's legs, Λ.
    24 mm, 10.43 g, 1 h
    Ref : Lorber B250

Q

GinoLR, Marsyas Mike, Struck7 and 6 others like this.
  15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

2021 was a productive year for you in terms of coin acquisitions! Well done!

16. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

A nice collection @ValiantKnight, I find these coins appealing as well - I like your Bernice II and the others.

Galatians in Egypt captured my attention this year - more on your coin #4 is here.

I would have attributed your 10th coin differently - my full explanation in "Cleopatra Queen of Egypt"

Ptolemaic Kings of Egypt, Cleopatra VII and Ptolemy XII Neos Dionysos Auletes ("Flute Player"), 80-51 BC, AR Tetradrachm, dated regnal year 30 (52/1 BC)
    Obv: Diademed head right, wearing aegis
    Rev: Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, palm over shoulder; LΛ above crown of Isis before; ΠA behind
    Rev:
    Svoronos 1840; Plate LXI.25

I don't have much help on the light weight - it is certainly a lot lighter than I would have expected (13-14g)... nothing in the photo would make me suspect a fake.

It is hard to appreciate fully the big AE coins without having one in hand - this one weighs in at 72g and dwarfs my Roman quinarius.
    upload_2021-12-19_7-53-59.png
    Best wishes for a "white whale" in 2022!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  17. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi @ValiantKnight,

This coin looks like an original (I couldn't find a die match in my 'black files' for year 30 of Ptolemy XII). However, I think the reason for the super low weight is crystallization (actually 'embrittlement') and leeching of the cooper from the coin. These coins were only 33% Ag, the rest being copper. Looking at the headband I see the lower part 'eroded away' and the other parts of the face look like some flaking has occurred on the remaining silver. Here's a nice write up from Forvm https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/crystal_coins.html on what goes on.

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice example and you should be very happy to own it. As a lover of Ptolemaic coins I like ALL your Top 10 Ptolemies.

Here's an earlier post showing one of my year 30 coins: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/cleopatra-caesarion-or-ptolemy-xii.371241/#post-5232022 . Another is below, which looks a lot like yours.

upload_2021-12-20_1-5-56.png

I look forward to the great coins you'll get in 2022!

- Broucheion

P.S., You wrote
    This is not the accepted thinking these days. The two eagles were a denomination marker, not representative of any kings or heirs. Lorber's CPE has extensive write ups on the coinage (aside from the catalog), which represent better what is going on.

P.P.S. To All, the other Ptolemaics are really nice too!

- Broucheion

Marsyas Mike, Sulla80 and Bing like this.
  18. ValiantKnight

Thank you Broucheion. Glad to hear it has your seal of approval. Based on what you have said, I’m guessing you are implying my coin is an official original made in Alexandria? Is there any possibility that this could be a unofficial fourree made in a neighboring region? Any knowledge or references out there about this? I had spoken to someone that implied my coin might be one.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Broucheion likes this.
  19. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi @ValiantKnight,

This is as Alexandrian as can be. I’ve never seen a fourree of this type of coin (doesn’t mean there were none, just that they must be very rare). Anyone saying otherwise should point me to a reference to it.

- Broucheion

20. ValiantKnight

Thanks Sulla! Definitely a great article you’ve written. I’ve made the correction. Earlier on when originally reading about Ptolemy XII I somehow missed that he made Cleo VII co-ruler and so I assumed she became co-ruler only with her brother after XII’s death.
    Thanks for this and for your other post! Now I feel more confident about my tetradrachm. I will consider it an authentic, official Alexandria mint issue until something ever comes up that says otherwise. The only thing left that bothers me though is why they underreported it’s weight. I’m hoping it was an honest mistake, perhaps a copy-and-paste error from another tetradrachm in the auction, and not as an act of intentional deception. I am most likely keeping the coin, but I think the weight discrepancy and my displeasure with this is something I will still bring up with the auction house.

Sulla80 and Broucheion like this.
  21. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Great list @ValiantKnight . My favorite by a good margin is your #3. Great style and detail. My next favorite is your #6 just for shear heft. I need to pay more attention to Ptolemaic issues because there are some nice coins to be had.

Here is my favorite Ptolemy.
    FD56E8AD-5324-4065-9D1A-3E1F6D06BEC0.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted