YEAR OF THE FOUR..(with a Nero kicker)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, May 15, 2019.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Denarii from the 1st major crises of empirical procession (this was avoided earlier with Claudius) bringing an end to the Julio-Claudian line, creating a vacuum effect causing strife and civil wars in the lands, also giving rise to Davids favorite dynasty, the Flavians..

POST YOUR COINS N COMMENTS PEEPS!:).. 5 of the year of the 4 emperors 001.JPG reverse 5 of 4 rome 001.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice grouping, and some pretty cool toning on some of those.

68-69 AD was an interesting couple of years, wasn't it? Certainly not a time I would've wanted to live through, but as a tourist, looking through binoculars from a safe distance of 1,950 years, it's all pretty fascinating.

Nero
    20190515_151351.jpg

Galba

[​IMG]

Otho
    [​IMG]

Vitellius
    [​IMG]

Vespasian
    AFuIaxFNRhqV5MtVC2D7_VespasianCapricornDenarius-038600-coin-800x500.jpg

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

One of the (numerous) key periods of the Empire

[​IMG]
    Nero, Denarius - Rome mint, AD 64/65
    NERO CAESAR, laureate head of Nero right
    AVGVSTVS GERMANICVS, Nero standing facing, holding branch and victory on globe
    3,32 gr
    Ref : RCV #1941, Cohen #45, RIC # 47
    The following comment, from NFA, auction XX catalog, # 118 :
    Nero's coinage reform of A.D. 64 saw a reduction in the weight standard of both the aureus and denarius denominations. A whole new range of reverse types was introduced with an unmistakably imperial flavor, in marked contrast to the senatorial types of the pre-reform coinage. This coin depicts a standing figure of the emperor, wearing the radiate crown of the sun god Sol, holding a branch of peace and a small figure of Victory. An allusion to the settlement of the Parthian question, following Corbulo's successes in Armenia in A.D. 63, seems unmistakable. It is tempting to identify this reverse type with the statue of the sun god, with the facial features of the emperor, erected by Nero in front of his Domus Aurea (Golden House), which was one of the principal features of the reconstruction following the Great Fire of Rome in A.D. 64. The Flavian Amphitheatre (Colosseum) was later erected on the site of the Domus Aurea's ornamental lake, and received its popular name from its close proximity to Nero's statue

[​IMG]
    Galba, As - Rome mint AD 68
    SER GALBA IMP CAESAR AVG PON M TR PPP, Laureate head of Galba right
    Rome seated left, SC in field
    10,60 gr
    Ref : Cohen #182

[​IMG]
    Otho, Denarius - Rome mint, AD 69
    IMP M OTHO CAESAR AVG TR P, Bare head of Otho right
    SECURITAS PR, Securitas standing left
    3.50 gr
    Ref : RIC # 8, RCV #2162, Cohen #17

[​IMG]
    Vitellius, Denarius - Rome mint, July - December 20, AD69
    A VITELLIVS GERMAN IMP TR P, Laureate head of Vitellius right
    XV VIR SACR FAC, Tripod-lebes with dolphin lying right on top and raven standing right below
    3.43 gr, 16-18 mm
    Ref : RCV # 2201var, Cohen cf # 110 et suiv, RIC I # 86 (this example illustrated in Wildwinds)

[​IMG]
    Vespasian, Denarius - Rome mint, AD 72-73
    IMP CAES VESP A VG PM COS IIII, laureate head right
    CONCORDIA AVGVSTI, Concordia seated left on throne, holding patera and cornucopia
    3.37 gr
    Ref : RSC # 74

Q

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

All five are also available as Provincials.

Nero AE15 Magnesia ad Sipylum / head of Senate
    pb0090bb1675.jpg

Galba Alexandria tetradrachm / Roma head
    pa0160bb0214.jpg

Otho Antioch tetradrachm
    pb0125fd3470.jpg

Vitellius - I said they exist but I did not say I have one. Share yours.

Vespasian AE22 Philadelphia / Zeus
    pb0165bb3170.jpg

We hear a lot about sets of 12 Caesars and all emperors. Who is working on a set limited to Provincials? There are some really rough ones but the sets are possible through the First Tetrarchy after which Provincials were discontinued. Is anyone here working on that set?

6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Nice group! You have some nicely toned examples there.

I can only contribute a Vespasian masquerading as Vitellius (or is it a Vitellius masquerading as Vespasian?).

V21.jpg Vespasian
    AR Denarius, 2.82g
    Rome Mint, January - June 70 AD
    RIC 21 (C). BMC 17. RSC 94a.
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
    Rev: COS ITER TR POT; Aequitas, draped, standing l., holding scales in r. hand, transverse rod in l.

7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

As a matter of fact...I am. I only have 2 of the 12 so far but I pick them up when I can. I thought about restricting it to tets of Alexandria but that might be too restrictive.

8. lordmarcovan

12C with provincials sounds interesting.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I want to see the Caligula if you go this route. There are bronzes attributed to his time with several ???? but no portrait coins of silver that I ave seen.

10. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a provincial portrait of Julius Caesar. Some others might be missing as well.

ominus1 likes this.
  11. Orfew

I will be going for the set in bronze. The Caligula might be tough...but possible.

12. lordmarcovan

Ah.

13. Orfew

There is but for him as divvs. It is also not Alexandria but I might have to settle for any provincials I can get for some of the rulers.
    Octavian and Divvs Julius Caesar
    (27 CBE- 14 CE)
    Macedon. Thessalonique
    19 mm 8.0 g
    Obv: ΘECCAΛONIKEΩN
    Bare head of Augustus
    Rev: ΘEOC.
    Bare head of Julius Caesar
    RPC 1555
    Ex: Numismatik Naumann Auction 66 Lot 269

Aug and JC.jpg

14. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

How about a two-fer? Galba countermarked (in Greek) on a Nero AE:

Nero w Galba countermark May 2018 (0).jpg

Nero w Galba countermark May 2018 (5a).JPG

Nero / Galba Æ As
    (63 A.D.; c/m 69 A.D.)

NERO CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS, laureate head right / [GENIO AVGVSTI], Genius, naked to waist, standing half-left, holding cornucopiae,
    [altar left]. RIC 125
    Countermark: ΓAΛBΛ (GALBA in Greek) Howgego GIC 526
    (9.77 grams / 27 mm)

Galba Countermarks:
    "GALBA in Greek Letters (Martini Pangerl Collection 92). This countermark occurs also on Provincial coins and is Howgego as GIC 526. (These) coins are in the grey zone between official coins (so called Thrakian mint) and provincial coins of the
    Balkan region"
    (Museum of Roman CM)

15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Neat, and, while I'm sure it can only be "ΓAΛBΛ", I'm not really seeing the Γ in there. Am I blind, or is it just hard to see?

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  16. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

*Raises hand* :stop: I'm working on an Antioch specific set, though I luck out that Vitellus didn't issue any coins from there, but Caligula's are very few (and silver... I'm trying to stay to bronze). Though I have considered finding a coin of another emperor with a Caligula countermark and using that to fill that hole.

In the coming days my plan is to start a thread stepping through each emperor for the province of Antioch and posting the coins from my collection for that emperor and asking others to do so too, with a cadence of every other day or so.

Anyways, that's my plan...

17. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

FREE THE GALBA!! Nice toning on that Vespasian. And I like the shot, with the other coins in the background. (Even if some are modern. ;))

I'm currently reading L. J. Trafford's "Four Emperors" series of historical novels about the period. They're fun! Fluffy but historically informed.

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 7.23.41 PM.jpg

18. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

You are correct, that gamma is missing - I am assuming from a poor strike, or I have some sort of a counterfeit. I bought it from an undescribed lot on eBay for peanuts, and on my budget, I can only afford "Albas" not "Galbas" :)

Orange Julius and ominus1 like this.
  19. Kathryn Graft

Kathryn Graft New Member

Attached Files:

20. Kathryn Graft

Kathryn Graft New Member

Is this coin anything? It’s very round and has the number below the person so I feel like it’s not Roman, but with the person with the spear and shield only Roman stuff comes up.

21. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

T7o84PLsFpA2z6GJ9XiHdoQ75tNEsF (1).jpg
    Nero

86832q00.jpg
    Galba

otho (2).jpg
    Otho

86185q00 (2).jpg
    Vitellius

Vespasian (1).jpg
    Vespasian

Carl Wilmont, Ryro, Bing and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted