Year minted

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ovalmark, Jan 25, 2020.

1. ovalmark

ovalmark New Member

Hey all. Is this correct, the mint year on coinage doesn’t necessarily correlate with the year released? For example the US mint is required by law to produce a certain amount of money each year, however they may hold that currency and release it later.

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. WRSiegel

WRSiegel Freshman

I don't believe there are any requirements for minting or releasing the coin with respect to the date on the coin. For example, they were minting 1964 coins into 1965 and 1966.

ovalmark, Inspector43 and tibor like this.
  4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Your question is very much related to my comments on First Strike, First Release, etc. The mint may make 2020 Silver Eagles in 2019. Then hold them for release in 2020. They are stored for months before release. Manufacturing inventory is usually on a first in, last out basis, unless there are perishable reasons to make it otherwise. Therefore, it is impossible to say that any coin is First Strike.

Randy Abercrombie and ovalmark like this.
  5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Bicentennial coins were not all made in one year. I think I read that some were made in early 1975.

Inspector43 and ovalmark like this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

2001 Kennedy business strikes were released by the Mint in special Mixed P&D bags in 2004. ~ Chris

Inspector43 and ovalmark like this.
  7. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Bicentennial quarters, half dollars, and dollars were minted from July 4, 1975 until December 31, 1976 according to the Mint. Because they didn't want people hoarding a rarer date, no quarters, half dollars, or dollars were dated 1975: the ones minted from January 1, 1974 to July 3, 1975 were all dated 1974.

Inspector43, alurid and ovalmark like this.
  8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Before 1972 the mint and FED just shoved coins into warehouses and removed them when some were needed. It wasn't in the least unusual for pallets of very old BU coins to come rolling out.

But then in 1972 they began rotating out the oldest coins in stock first. This means most coins are released within a year and a half of production but some warehouses are overfilled and it can take as loong three years for coins to cycle all the way through. Of course new coins tend to flow to the emptiest warehouses so many coins are issued almost immediately.

9. Inspector43

All you have to do is look at the Product Schedule to see how things happen. There are many coins issued by the mint starting as early as January 3. They don't open the presses on January 1 and start striking coins. Many of the coins were struck 5 or 6 months earlier.

There is only one "first strike" and it is kept by the mint. If you buy a first strike coin you are buying a label with a coin inside that may have been the last one produced. As far as "Early Release", you are just confirming that you got you order processed before most others.

Doesn't make any sense to me.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The law requires the coins to bear the date of the year they were minted. The mint interprets this to mean the year they are released, so coins minted with a year later than the year they are actually struck is OK as long as they don't release them until the date on the coin.

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. Inspector43

Yes, and this happens every year. It has to in order to get he coins released on an acceptable schedule.

Draft saved Draft deleted