Year in review 2018- medieval Anglo-Saxon coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nap, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Tough to stop at 10 since I added over 30 coins to my collection this year. But these were among my favorites-

series-k-3.jpg
    Anglo-Saxon secondary sceatta, series K (Kent), type 33 (720-750)
    An iconic coin, with the reverse lion's head with coiled tongue. Not the highest grade coin I bought this year, but a miniature masterpiece of Saxon art, simplistic though it may be.

series-k-5.jpg
    Anglo-Saxon secondary sceatta, series K (Kent), type 42 (720-750)
    Despite falling in the same "series" of sceattas, this coin and the above are considerably different. I actually acquired 4 series K (for Kent) sceattas this year, and two of them are in my top 10. The imagery of the reverse creature (a hound?) eating berries off a vine is mirrored in another coin from Northumbria featured later

aethelred-i-1.jpg
    Aethelred I of Northumbria, first reign (774-779)
    O: EDILRED
    R: fantastic beast right, cross under tail, triquetra below
    Beast-type coin from this little-known ruler's first reign. The "fantastic beast" was featured on coins of Aldfrith, Eadberht, Alchred, Aelfwald I, and Aethelred I. At some point, the design changed to a more basic design without the creature, with the king's name on one side and the moneyer on the other.
    Once a great rarity, it is now a slightly-less-than-great rarity, still the most difficult of the "beast types" to find and the last one for me to acquire.

aethelred-ii-leofthegn-11b.jpg
    Styca of Aethelred II, first reign (844-848), moneyer Leofthegn
    O: +EDILRED REX
    R: LEOF DEG N, fantastic beast with triquetra above forelegs
    The most artistic of the least artistic coins, the only styca to feature a "fantastic creature" with a nod to olden times. Only one reverse die recorded for this rare issue, though at least a dozen of these are known. The creature is often called a dog. The similarity to the series K coin depicted above is uncanny and probably intentional.

offa-aethelnoth-1a.jpg
    Penny of Offa of Mercia (757-796), by moneyer Aethelnoth
    O: M OFFA REX
    R: + EDELD NO
    Offa was the first monarch to produce pennies, replacing the sceattas in southern England. This coin is ex-Archbishop Sharp collection with a provenance of some 300+ years

coenwulf-seberht-1.jpg
    Penny of Coenwulf of Mercia (796-821), by moneyer Seberht
    O: +COENVVLF REX M
    R: +SE BE RHT
    Coenwulf continued Offa's tradition of having portrait and nonportrait coinage. While by no means common, Coenwulf's coins are among the more prolific in the Mercian series (which contains a number of serious rarities!)

coenwulf-wodel-1.jpg
    Penny of Coenwulf of Mercia (796-821), by moneyer Wodel
    O: +COENVVLF REX M
    R: PO D E LT
    The style is suggestive of the East Anglian type. Coenwulf was overlord over Kent and East Anglia, though his control of these areas was less absolute than his predecessor Offa's.

burgred-guthere-1.jpg
    Penny of Burgred of Mercia (852-874), by moneyer Guthere
    O: BVRGRED REX
    R: MON GVDHERE ETA
    The only common coin in the Mercian series, coins of Burgred are remarkably prolific compared to his predecessors. He was also the penultimate Mercian monarch to issue coins- Mercia would be ravaged by Vikings then become part of Wessex.

aethelberht-aethelweald-1.jpg
    Penny of Aethelberht of Wessex (860-865), by moneyer Aethelweald
    O: AEDELBEARHT REX
    R: +EDELVE ALD MO N E T A
    Aethelberht was the son of Aethelwulf and one of the older brothers of Alfred (the Great).

aethelred-i-aelfhere-1.jpg
    Penny of Aethelred I of Wessex (865-871), but moneyer Aelfhere
    O: +AEDELRED REX
    R: .MON. ELBERE .ETA.
    Another older brother of Alfred the Great. Aethelred should have been the hero of the important battle of Ashdown, but Alfred received all the glory in the only recorded history. Aethlred didn't live much longer. Aethelred's son Aethelwold would have a minor role to play later, as the leader of Vikings in revolt in Northern England against his cousin Edward the Elder. Aethelred I today is largely forgotten, as the second king of that name (Aethelred II- the Unready) is infamous.

Pellinore, Alegandron, NLL and 26 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A fantastic set of medievals, not a one I don't like.

Probably my favorite top 10 posted.

Cucumbor likes this.
  4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

A remarkable list. The Offa obverse is a favorite, but they are all as fantastic as that beast. Nap, your Anglo-Saxon focus and the high quality of your choices--which must demand serious coin of their own--are admirable. Without giving too much away, do you find your coins via VCoins retailers, or scour auctions? I wonder how to enter the wonderful world of Saxon coinage, though it's probably cost-prohibitive.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You know, I never realized how many collectors of medieval coins reside here on CT. Although I have a couple, I don't collect them mainly because my budget can barely handle the Greek and Roman coins. However, I've seen some very nice medieval coins posted in the past few days, and I could be tempted especially with some of the coins you posted. The Aethelred I is particularly interesting.

alde likes this.
  6. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

I will buy coins almost anywhere. I have purchased from auctions, dealers, and directly from metal detectorists.

Saxon coins do get expensive. I started with the Northumbrian stycas. A common type in VF is a $50 coin. Sounds like a reasonable entry point, until you start looking at the more expensive types and watch the prices go up up up.

Alegandron and Gavin Richardson like this.
  7. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Similarly I would like to get into Greek coins, but it's just not in the cards unless I divert funds from medieval coins.

Bing likes this.
  8. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

A stunning lot, Nap!

9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A great selection of coins. My favorite is the Coenwulf portrait coin.

10. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

I was most impressed with the straightforward simplicity and balance of the Offa coin.

11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Fantastic set of coins! It may be cliche to be impressed by the Offa, but an Offa from the Archbishop’s collection is quite a catch!

12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Man, I don't know anything about these coins other than they look COOL as can be! That first with the lion is awesome, the obverse looks line if Byzantine inspired. I love the one with the legend in the cross also!

13. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

great coins @Nap ! The Offa one speaks to me. I only have a handful of Medieval coins, mostly Crusader states in the Middle East - Bohemund, Baldwin, etc.

14. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Those are some amazing coins @Nap my favorites are the Burgred and Offa pennies. I would love to see some of the other coins you picked up this year.

15. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

Thanks all. It appears Offa is a favorite. There is a reasonably large crack extending from the edge, that is grade and value limiting, but otherwise the coin has reasonable detail. The provenance is cool though. Historically, Offa is an important figure in Anglo-Saxon England and one of the few leaders of that time to be remembered by not just a few historians and enthusiasts.

Hopefully in 2019 I’ll be able to show off a portrait coin of his, it’s high on my wish list for next year.

Pellinore and FitzNigel like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Very cool. I haven't yet joined the Sceat-Owners' Club. Hope to do so before very long.

17. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

@Nap Great group of additions this year, but the Offa is my favorite by far.

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I was so busy thinking, "Man, I need to get a sceat", that i totally overlooked Offa. Wow. Apologies for the short attention span. :oops:

19. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Very impressive!! Many of them look like you were standing next
    to the coiner and just put the freshly struck coin in your pocket.
    Thanks for sharing.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. Puckles

Puckles Cat Whisperer

A ton of character in these coins and if we go back far enough, in many cases, a shared history. So glad to have an early 9th century Northumbrian Styca of Eanred, moneyer Aldates, most likely minted at York.

Sellers photos below from Trade Me auction. I got a mention in his listing after identifying the moneyer for him. After that happened, I thought maybe I should place a bid!

Eanred of Northumbria and Moneyer 810 -841 Styca $51.00 28.8.16 TM1146594320.jpg

Eanred of Northumbria 810 -841 Styca $51.00 28.8.16 TM1146594320.jpg

TheRed likes this.
  21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm blown away !!

Looks like a top 1 x 10 to me
    Thanks for sharing

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted