Yard Sale Find - Barber Quarter Set

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Rhino89, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

My collecting focus is mostly Russian imperial coins and banknotes (I'm more active on those parts of CT), but I recently bought a set of Barber quarters that caught me off guard. The seller had all sorts of random items and the pricing on this set (which belonged to some family member) and other items made little sense. Seemed like guesses more than anything, I think the seller was clearing out old "junk". I'm only marginally familiar with US coins, but I knew these had some silver in them so I pulled the trigger - $13 for the set. I figured it was a low risk guess if it turns out to be crap and the experience gives me a chance to learn from you all about this series.

So here they are, 1892, 1893, 1899, 1901, 1904, and 1916. I believe the 1904 is an O mint mark? And the 1916 is a D, others do not have one. Are these worth anything more than melt, which I looked up is 0.1808 ASW? Thanks in advance!

DSCN3166.JPG
    DSCN3167.JPG
    1904 O.JPG
    1916 D.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

You got for a good price. Think the 1892 could be worthwhile to a low ball collector. The others are worth more than melt likely.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Cool find. Current melt value is $2.70 each = $16.20. A 20% discount off melt.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'd stare at that 1892 for a very long time to see if there's any hint of a mintmark.

There's nothing here to make anybody rich, but you wouldn't have gotten the set if I'd seen it first at that price... :)

Kasia likes this.
  6. -jeffB

My silver guy doesn't pay as much for slicks like this, which is fair, because they've lost significant silver weight. But even slick Barbers will go above melt on eBay, and perhaps in other venues as well.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You did good Grasshopper!

8. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

Thank you everyone for the input! After looking at some sold ebay listings, seems like these go for about $4.50-6 each. I'll probably end up posting these on the "for sale" section of CT to see if anyone wants to take it off my hands.

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 1904-O is a good date.
    All the rest slightly above melt, because they are Barbers $6 each.
    But the 1904-O I assume that is a scratch is $15. Without the scratch $30.

10. -jeffB

Were you mistaking these for half dollars?

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

12. -jeffB

Draft saved Draft deleted