Xs and Ns with an M

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Quant.Geek, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Byzantine coinage has a lot of collecting themes, including the following series of coins. Around the time of Leo III, the follis underwent a change where the ANNO and the Regal Year is replaced with XXX and NNN on the sides of the large value mark M. Lambros and Wroth indicated that the Xs and Ns were a short-hand for Χριστος νικα repeated three times, but DOC indicates that it is purely decorative as the regal year fell out of use and thus was used as a filler. I am not too convinced about that argument, but here are a few of these types of coins:

Byzantine Empire: Leo III (717-741) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1516)
    Obv: LЄON S CON; Two busts facing, Leo on left, bearded, and Constantine, usually slightly smaller, on right. Each wears chlamys with conspicuous tablion and crown with cross, and holds akaka in right
    Rev: Large M; X/X/X - N/N/N across field, cross above, A below

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Leo IV (775-780) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1586)
    Obv: Crowned facing busts of Leo IV and Constantine VI, each wearing chlamys; cross in field above
    Rev: Crowned facing busts of Leo III and Constantine V each wearing loros, set on horizontal bar; B A across field; below, M above A, flanked by X and N

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Theophilus (829-842) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1666)
    Obv: ✷ ΘЄOFIL ЬASIL; Crowned and draped bust of facing, holding patriarchal cross and akakia
    Rev: Large M; cross above, X/X/X to left, N/N/N to right, Θ below

[​IMG]

So go ahead and post some Xs and Ns with a bit of an M or anything else you like!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I really like that Theophilus! Great design, well centered, and well struck. Not something I have seen too often with Byzantine coins.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  4. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Here are a few more...

Byzantine Empire: Leo V (813-820) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1630)
    Obv: LЄOҺ S C-OҺSC; Crowned facing busts of Leo and Constantine, each wearing chlamys
    Rev: Large M; cross above, X/X/X to left, N/N/N to right, A below

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Michael I Rhangabe (811-813) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1617)
    Obv: mIXAHL bASILЄ; Crowned facing bust, wearing loros, holding globus cruciger and scepter
    Rev: Large M between X/X/X and N/N/N; cross above; A below

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Michael II the Amorian (821-829 CE) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear-1642)
    Obv: mIXAHL S Θ ЄOFILOS; Crowned facing busts of Michael, wearing chlamys, and Theophilus, wearing loros; cross above
    Rev: Large M; cross above, X/X/X to left, N/N/N to right, Θ below

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Theophilus (829-842) Æ Follis, Syracuse (Sear-1681)
    Obv: Crowned bust facing, wearing loros holding globus cruciger
    Rev: Large M; X/X/X to left, cross above, N/N/N to right, Ө below

[​IMG]

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Very nice!

Quant.Geek likes this.
  6. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful, after the new year I'll have to go for a few Byzantine coins as I have none at the moment

Quant.Geek and furryfrog02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted