Xinjiang (Sinkiang) Province

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by britannia40, Jul 18, 2018.

1. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Xinjiang province is home to Turkic Uyghur Chinese. It is where most the Muslim population of China are located and has major roots to the old Silk Road.

Their coins usually contain a mix of Chinese and Arabic. The had varied denominations of currency from the rest of mainland China. You can see the dragon on coins from late Qing dynasty and the 2 flags on coins from the republic period. The metal used for the copper coins in my experience was mostly substandard and had planchet problems and encouraged corrosion. Most you see in the market today have these problems and it's scarce to find quality ones.

Here are some examples I just picked up for my Chinese set.
    The copper are 10 Cash coins the silver is 5 Miscals.
    CT38a.1b.a.jpg CT44.2.1929.b.jpg CT6.0.c.jpg

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

As a young collector, the coins of Sinkiang or "Chinese Turkestan" as listed in my go to "Catalog Of Modern World Coins" left me fascinated. Examples were not something that you found in the junk bins of your local coin store or even as part of the more expensive offers.

My first examples were purchased from Scott Semans in the early 80's. If I recall the market opened up due to economic reforms in China and the more common varieties became easier to obtain.

I have quite a few in my collection now. Unfortunately one that I have been looking for many years now was offered to me earlier this year but got "lost" when it passed into the custody of the Customs and Border Protection process at J.F.K. airport in New York. A "registered" item that disappeared without a trace.

This is the first Sinkiang coin I purchased. A silver half miscal.

Sinkiang half miscal 50 pct.jpg
    Sinkiang half miscal 50 pct reverse.jpg

A silver 5 Miscal dated 1322AH, 1903AD

Sinkiang 5 Miscal 1322 1903 obverse.jpg
    Sinkiang 5 Miscal 1322 1903 reverse.jpg

10 Cash

Sinkiang Cash 1929 A Y44.jpg
    Sinkiang Cash 1929 B.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Stork, Numismat and britannia40 like this.
  4. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about your lost item. Those are nice pieces.

Chris

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

5 Miscals dated 1326AH, 1907

Sinkiang 5 Miscals 1326 1907 Y25.2 obv 3.jpg
    Sinkiang 5 Miscals 1326 1907 Y25.2 rev 3.jpg

Some more Half miscals

Kashgar

Half Miscal  Kashgar 289 obverse 40pct.jpg Half Miscal  Kashgar 289 reverse 40pct.jpg

Yarkand

Half Miscal  Yarkand 297 obverse 50pct.jpg Half Miscal  Yarkand 297 reverse 50pct.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Stork, Numismat and britannia40 like this.
  6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Xinjiang Province... I admit their coins are somewhat unusual and I started to collect them. Only down side is while I can read Mandarin, Arabic is not my forte and that has somewhat put me off. I don't believe I have cataloged everything that I have. Most of the coins that I have are already shown so I might as well show something different.

1/2 miscal?
    [​IMG]
    Was sold as a Xinjiang 1886 1/2 miscal. I have no idea what it is

? 5 miscal?
    [​IMG]
    I admit - I don't know much about this coin nor can I read what is on this coin.

1736 - 1796 10 cash
    [​IMG]

Xinjiang Province does have a long history in casting coins. Their coins are actually of higher copper content - turns out they have substantial gold / copper deposits. You can see that it's pretty 'red' considering that most of cash coins are more of a bronze alloy.

1917 1 sar
    [​IMG]

Can't go wrong when it's over 1 ounce of silver! Heavier than a standard Chinese silver 'dollar' coin back then which is at around 26.7g.

1929 10 cash
    [​IMG]

Yes it's very corroded but it's somewhat scarce. Struck in 1928 and 1929. No idea why they are scarce. I know I have a better example coin but I can't find it on my computer...?

Uighurstan 1933 10 & 20 cash
    [​IMG]
    Struck in 1933 only for a few months before this rouge state tried to declare independence. An interesting part of numismatics. Uighurstan 20 cash coins are overstruck over Xinjiang 10 cash. I have an example I believe where Republic cash coins were used as well. (I don't think I have photographed it...)

And lastly something a bit more modern - 1985 1 yuan commemorating Xinjiang
    [​IMG]

Muzyck, britannia40 and Stork like this.
  7. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

The coin appears very similar to a half miscal listed in Xinjiang Numismatics, #279. Made in Kucha , "5-candareen of pure silver".

According to that book, the half miscals were modeled after the small silver Tanga coins issued by the rebel Yakub Beg who invaded and ruled over Xinjiang from 1865 to 1877.

Here are a few examples of the Yakub Beg coins. Hard to pin down. They may actually be post Yakub Beg. I can only positively identify the two pictured in the middle.

Yakub Beg 1 5015 a.jpg Yakub Beg 1 5015.jpg

Yakub Beg 2 5015.jpg
    Yakub beg 1 rev.jpg

Yakub Beg 3 5015 a.jpg Yakub Beg 3 5015.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    gxseries likes this.
  8. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Another 10 Cash with flags reversed

S20180722_0005.jpg
    S20180722_0004.jpg

9. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Two Uighuristan 10 Cash

No fringe on right flag

S20180722_0006.jpg
    S20180722_0007.jpg

Partial fringe on right flag

S20180722_0008.jpg
    S20180722_0009.jpg

10. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I have been looking for one of these for years. Almost obtained one last year but it went astray in transit between U.S.P.S. and CBP at J.F.K. in New York. Got this last week but am pretty sure it is a fake. Really hard to tell by looking at the surfaces because these are pretty crude to begin with. The rim shows a clear seam.

Sinkiang, 1 miscal

China Sinkiang Miscal Y16 obv B.jpg
    China Sinkiang Miscal Y16 rev C.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted