Xin Dynasty 5 Zhu Wang Mang extravaganza

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, May 28, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Why settle for one Wang Mang when you can have two Wang Mang?

Wang Mang was one crazy coin dude, and ancient China's monetary pains are now my gains.

Some call them "Chinese washers" :rolleyes: I call them "cool cash ." Just look at @TypeCoin971793 's collection of cash coins, bridge money, and knives and spades. If that stuff doesn't move you in any way, then I don't know what will.

I will probably be chasing more Wang Mang cash over the next few months, so can you Wang Mang handle it? LOL

fB6Gc8Zg4sWXYSj23qTnqJ5iy7xF9Q.jpg
    China, Xin Dynasty, Emperor Wang Mang, 7 - 23 AD
    AE 5 Zhu, 24mm,3.40 grams
    Obverse: Huo Quan.
    Reverse: Blank, as made.
    Hartill9.32

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

PS: here is my 50 Wu Zhu again. Yummy!

SRd5jB4mE7tWHj6ywLQ23cXYGHo89z.jpg

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

You made a good choice. :) Very nice example.

IMO, Wang Mang is the coolest area to collect in ancient China. So much happened in such a short period of time. Plus many of the issues are common enough to be snagged for cheap.

Sallent likes this.
  5. Sallent

Thanks. I am ordering the new book on Wang Many coinage. I think I'd like to collect all varieties of each denomination I can get my hands on. I know some coins have blank reverses, while others may have dots or dashes on the reverses, or double rims, etc. Not sure what it all means yet, but I want to collect them and find out by reading the book and studying the coins.

I would like to eventually add a few Warring States coins, Han Dynasty coins, and crowry proto-money (bone, rock, and natural). So it all won't just be Wang Mang. :D

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

What happened to focusing on Gordy for awhile?:bucktooth:

7. TypeCoin971793

For the most part, Chinese coins are a helluva lot cheaper.

TIF, Sallent and Alegandron like this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

Here is my stable of Huo Quans. I don't have any stellar ones like @chrsmat71.

The second row has normal-sized coins. The third row shows just how diminuitive these coins got. The first and fourth rows are just some interesting varieties I came across, the fourth row in particular.

From left to right on the fourth row: a clipped Huo Quan, a later one with the center punched out (I have only seen two of these, and I can't find my second one :(), a huo quan cast to look like it has been clipped (only one I have seen), a couple errors where two reverse moulds were used which resulted in blank coins, and a thick giant variety called a biscuit.

I might be a bit crazy, but who can resist at an average price of $0.50 each?

IMG_9739.JPG

Dummy me forgot I had these before I took the above picture.

IMG_9741.JPG

And of course I have these. Due to their style and the fact that they look worn, I believe that these were privately-made counterfeits. Official coins were not made using straight mould like these were (as far as I know), further leading to the conclusion that they are contemporary counterfeits.

This one cost a little (actually, a LOT) more than $0.50.

IMG_9500.JPG IMG_9502.JPG

9. Sallent

This isn't a race, but a stroll. If I live up to my life expectancy (God willing), I've probably got 46 years left of collecting. That's plenty of time to add Gordies and Chinese to my collection, as well as other coins...and plenty of time to infect others with the ancients collecting decease.

Draft saved Draft deleted