WWII Occupation Money

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by davedawg, Aug 25, 2007.

1. davedawg

davedawg New Member

Does anyone with paper money expertise know the value of this? I know that it is occupation money given to the troops during WWII, it is dated 1944. I have 2 like this and a 50 Mark bill as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! One more thing, I've had to crop this down so far because of the limited size allowed for images; any advice on how to get full images to fit? I'm basically using a Kodak digital camera and uploading it from there. I don't have any high-tech equipment to do any better.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Operation Wild Dog Issuing of Allied Occupation Currency for Germany

There was one issue of this series printed by both the U.S. for allied use and the USSR for use zone of occupation. These are the denominations printed 1/2, 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, and 1000 Mark.
    the notes were circulated through mid 1948. I believe that there is a secret printing mark used to determine who printed the note, the US or USSR

You could try scanning the note :D

4. bilboleslie

bilboleslie Junior Member

Occupation currency

U.S. printed German occupation currencies can be identified by a printers mark "f" located on the lower right corner of smaller denomination bills, and the same printers mark located on the upper right corner of the 10 Mark bills, and on up through 1000 mark bills.

I recommend "World War II Allied Military Currency" by Toy & Schwan... its a good, basic introduction to military currencies.

Military Money, by Walter Rundell, Jr. is also quite good.

5. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

i had to ise a cheap 7 mega pixal camera, put it on close up and then lift it higher away from the notes. then the ability to large size it on here seemed to give a closer view.. im not bvery good woth photo's but this may work

6. maggie123

maggie123 maggie123

yuk more spelling mistakes, gonna have to do a spell check from now on sorry lol

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The reason for the difference in the printers mark was because originally the Americans were going to do all the printing of the Allied Occupation Currency but the Russian insisted on being supplied with plates so they could print their allotted supply themselves. The Americans were afraid the Russians would ignore the limit on their portion of the currency and would just run the presses producing as much as they wanted which would let them buy influence in the area and depreciate the value of the currency. So the plates given to the Russians didn't have the f so the amount the Russians printed could be tracked. Sure enough the Russians greatly over produced their allotment.

8. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I would not bother with Toy & Schwan at this point. It is a dated reference. A inll of the information in Toy & Schwan (and much more information) is in WWII Remembered by Schwan and Boling considered to be the Bible of WWII Numismatics.

Draft saved Draft deleted