WW2 German Coin Set

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by TimH, Jul 11, 2018.

1. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. harley bissell

Nice high grade Nazi Germany type set but you do not show the military coins
    of 5 and ten pfennig best known for the center holes and the massive swastika.
    You could also add the various five mark commemorative coins to your Hindenburg pieces. Most folks also add the Nazi issues from occupied nations predominantly made of zinc.

4. harley bissell

If you are concerned about fake war trophy coins just don't demand mint state condition specimens and the number of fakes drops dramatically. Dig them out of the ground using a metal detector to find and the level of fakes drops to nearly zero. Demands of proof go both ways. Demonstrating why one or more are fake would serve you in better stead than your blanket statement if you seek agreement.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    TimH likes this.
  5. TimH

TimH New Member

Thank you everyone for the input. Sorry I ignored the responses; my wife and I had a baby. Just now got the chance to read through them all. Yes, I'm not aware of any coins with Hitler.

Something I've become curious about (and am admittedly completely ignorant about) are these "SS" coins I've seen recently. Up until now, I was not aware that they existed.

Here's a snapshot of a reproduction.

[​IMG]

I'm interested in these, but so far I haven't found any sources that I can confidently consider genuine. Most of them are obvious reproductions, sometimes called so honestly, other times passed off as real to some poor sucker.

What's the story with these coins? Are they rare, because I can't find any. It would be good to see what a real one looks like, if there are any around.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

7. TimH

TimH New Member

After reading your comments, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to tell me. If you're trying to tell me that every coin is guilty until proven innocent, you don't have to, because that's how I collect. That's why I'm here, and why I spend hundreds of hours researching the things I plan to collect, and then systematically recheck the things I've already collected as I learn more.

However, I strongly agree with the points others have made - I believe that it would be more profitable to explain any specific concerns you may have, and avoid blanket statements that do little more than scare new people away from collecting. Remember that "new to this forum" does not mean "new to collecting." And "ignorant about German coins" does not mean "ignorant about coins." I've been at this a very long time, but I will never stop seeking the advice of others, many who know far more about certain subjects than I do. No one ever becomes so clever that they can't be fooled by anything. So, I welcome advice. But I can't take advice you don't actually give me. "Watch out" is less educational, and more repellent.

In response to the "sensitive" nature of Nazi Germany, I think it is important to remember that this is a collection of history. Not a collection in support of certain parties, countries, etc. The Nazis were only one of thousands of unpleasant groups that have left stains on history. Perhaps it's the "too soon" complex we have about WW2. After all, the Nazis were the big villains of some our fathers and grandfathers. And many others may have had relatives slaughtered by them. It is understandable that many are uncomfortable with such collections. But no one bats an eye when we collect relics from ancient peoples who butchered each other and make the Nazis look like boy scouts. So, to me, it's history - nothing more, nothing less. The pursuit of history needs no defense.

Numismat likes this.
  8. TimH

TimH New Member

9. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

I go along with much of what you say, TimH. You suggest that every coin is guilty until proven innocent, and that may also be what I'm inferring. I think that's a good rule, not just for coins, also for works of art in museums, and for many other areas, too frequent to mention all. You get rogues everywhere, including in politics. You mention ancient peoples who butchered each other, which makes the Nazis look like boy scouts. To me, they are anything but. And one huge difference is - I'm surprised you don't pick up on that - is that the Nazis, with their extermination and brutal sadism, were active, largely in Europe and Russia, in some of our very own life-times - and here I include myself. I'm not saying to turn a blind eye to other people's atrocities, but the very scale of the Nazi horrors is possibly unparalleled. - By having discussed Nazi coins on CT, and we should be aware of this, we have also touched a very raw nerve in human history.

10. harley bissell

11. harley bissell

Think of these as club tokens. In the united states we have officers clubs and nco clubs. The germans called their clubs canteens. I've only ever found one genuine ss token. It went to a compiler. There were also tokens for the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe units and whatever they called their navy plus individual ships. They occasionally appear on ebay but most of what you see are reproductions.

Numismat and TimH like this.
  12. TimH

TimH New Member

I'm not saying that the "act" of killing makes Nazis look like boy scouts. They killed many hundreds of thousands who couldn't defend themselves. But it is also true that there are many extremely cruel groups of people from history that we study, collect their trinkets, and even admire for very specific reasons. It doesn't mean we admire everything about them, but we might for instance admire the art or scientific knowledge of a certain ancient culture, above that of others; yet we are still appalled when we learn of the blood on their hands. I'm simply saying that a collection is not an admiration by default. I do not admire the Nazis, and I understand the pain people are still feeling. In fact, it is for that very reason that I collect such things - to remember. Did you know that there are people out there (very large groups, becoming larger and larger) who claim that the Nazis never did any of those things. People twist history and try to cover up things that they disagree with. This is why I say that history needs no defense. History is simply truth - an accurate representation of what once happened. History is neither good nor evil - it is a neutral record of both good AND evil. And, if we don't respect it and remember it on a personal level, others will be more than happy to rewrite it for us.

In fact, I think that our conversation is a good indication of some history being forgotten. You've implied that the Nazis might be unparalleled. Again, while their actions were indescribably horrific and evil, I see a forgotten history in that statement. I don't believe that time can erase horror; therefore, I do not hold the horrors of the Nazis as more horrific than equal or greater horrors of ancient civilizations that we all know (or even love for certain qualities). Yes, they've been paralleled. They've been surpassed in ancient times. Many of us have simply forgotten.

Obviously, we should draw lines somewhere. But that line won't be the same for everyone. For instance, I don't understand the appeal of collecting old shrunken heads, as some have done. To me, some things are just too direct and simply gross. However, those interested in cultures that did such things usually have pure intentions; therefore, while I am disturbed, I do not fault them for doing so. It is not wrong to study wrong things for the sake of having an accurate record of history, as long as you protect your heart and mind. To me though, I'd never want part of a dead guy on my wall... That's just... nope... So, I draw my line pretty conservatively; I don't like nasty artifacts. A head is part of a person who actually suffered, and a coin is a piece of metal that was used as currency by an entire country in the past, some of them who did lots of bad things. See the difference?

So, when I collect items from WW2, from both sides (not just the enemy), I do so with a clear conscience. These are not things I've done without careful thought, and immense respect for history.

harley bissell and Bert Gedin like this.
  13. Bert Gedin

You aren't the only one who collects WWII items from several sides. So do I, and many others. - What do you think has the strongest impact on you - A million butchered in Gaul, some 2000 years ago - or one murder in your street, quite recently ???

14. TimH

TimH New Member

Well, I don't know how closely you read my comment, but how I personally "feel" about recent events vs. distant past is irrelevant to their moral or immoral value. Yes, I am personally more emotionally affected by the things my grandfather fought against. I think that is probably true for most of us. But history is bigger than me and my feelings. This is why I have no shame in collecting both recent and ancient things, even if lots of bad things happened. Sounds like we mostly agree there, since you collect them, too. So, if we're both doing it for good reasons, I'm still trying to figure out what you're trying to suggest.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  15. TimH

TimH New Member

If anything, an event being closer to us, in my opinion, would give us more reason to study/collect/remember. But certainly not less, unless our emotions hinder us - which I would suggest puts us at risk of having our history rewritten without noticing until it has already been done... Danger lies on both sides of this issue... So I say, respect history, stay alert, and don't get sucked in by either emotional extreme...

16. Bert Gedin

I'm still trying to figure out what you're trying to figure out about what I'm trying to suggest. Maybe one of these days I'll find out ?

17. TimH

TimH New Member

Ok. Anyway, I appreciate the response and conversation.

18. COSIMO

COSIMO New Member

I loved your post. I too collect many things from this period simply because of the beauty of their design. The Swastika is one of my favorite symbols. I have studied its uses and representations dating back 4,000 years + in yet un-tolled divergent cultures.And, no, I am definitely not a Nazi sympathizer......
    Thanks for sharing ! It looks like the collection is complete and a good representation.....COSIMO

19. TimH

TimH New Member

Thank you. Yes, there is far more to the swastika than some tyrant's decade-long reign of terror.

MikeinWyo likes this.
  20. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

No 1 Mark. Hard to find. They are all genuine. After the war, the same dies were used except with no swaztica. Russia, Hermitage is one of the Worlds finest museums.

TimH likes this.
  21. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Here is a nice die crack on a 5 Reichsmark piece, which I want to share with you.
    These coins are seldom seen with such kind of errors.
    IMG_20180721_120906.jpg IMG_20180721_120808.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted