WW2 German Coin Set

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by TimH, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Kurt's comment likewise reminded me of the black market Levi's story.

Which in turn (though I'm not sure why) reminded me of the classic Wendy's Russian Fashion Show commercial from the 1980s.

[​IMG]

juris klavins likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

"Ees next, svimvear."

juris klavins likes this.
  4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Right, hardly any were actually produced. But we know the designs from photos, so yes, people who desperately want to own "Hitler coins" need to resort to fakes. Or buy one of the (maaany) medals with his portrait ...

Christian

Rheingold likes this.
  5. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Why would anyone mint/fake these rather common coins?

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I would advise certain self-proclaimed non-experts not to call people who do know what they're talking about "irresponsible". Such a statement is in itself irresponsible. Why would you suspect these coins are not genuine? They are common coins and there is nothing to suggest they are fake. Like many people here, I have had hundreds of these things. They look fine to me. What kind of "strong evidence" do you need?

Numismat likes this.
  7. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Is "Endsieg" ending of WWII, Rheingold ? I have 6 coins with A.H. But I don't approve of him any more than of other genocidal maniacs. And 1 coin of A.H. and Musso. Also a Munich coin with A.H., Musso, Neville C. and Daladier.
    To LordM. The Moon is made of Cheese. Why ? Because I say so. - Evidence helps convince people. I may be the world's greatest scientist. But if I don't convince others of my thoughts and work, I may be wasting my time. The halo of expertise is useless, unless that expertise is communicated to others. Nothing to suggest these coins are fake ? Very often, fake coins, in order to con people, are made to look genuine.

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Sounds like you have one of the tokens, medals or fantasy pieces and not a coin.
    I agree with @lordmarcovan . If you would have taken a little time to check sites like the NGC world Coin Price Guide, or Numismaster, it would have been apparent that many of the OPs coins are as common as Wheat Cents in the US or Pre-decimal English Pennies. There is nothing wrong with your question regarding the authenticity. That's a great way for inexperienced collectors to learn. But when an inexperienced collector starts calling out others for being irresponsible without doing a little homework first, one has to wonder about their validity.

9. Bert Gedin

Oldhoopster, you are more than welcome to agree with anyone you wish, just as I am, too. You speak of a great way for inexperienced collectors to learn. You forget one point that is absolutely crucial - that experienced collectors also need to learn. Ask yourself whether you are being responsible, or irresponsible, in how you go about your own homework.

10. lordmarcovan

It's true that experienced collectors must continue to learn. However, once one has learned something and developed some experience in a particular area, one need not constantly revisit it and question the knowledge one already has. Sure, sometimes things might change, but most of the time you can learn something and rest assured that you're on solid ground, having built a foundation. Just because you then build on top of that foundation by adding new knowledge, it doesn't mean you've constantly got to go back to the basics and relearn them. That's like building something and then knocking the cornerstone out to inspect it.

Generally speaking, inexperienced collectors should listen to those who have more experience. Should they question those experienced people? Sure. Maybe that's all you're doing. It is healthy to question accepted principles and the knowledge base of others when you're learning something.

However, it is not productive to become adversarial with them or insult them. That will only annoy them, and it won't advance your own learning any (except perhaps being an object lesson in etiquette). And inserting yourself between knowledgeable people who are trying to advise another inexperienced person is bad form, because then you're interfering with the other person's learning.

Am I making any sense here?

11. Bert Gedin

"I keep six honest serving-men
    (They taught me all I knew);
    Their names are What and Why and When
    And How and Where and Who."

(Rudyard Kipling).

Oldhoopster likes this.
  12. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

13. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Here's a piece in rather good shape.
    IMG_20180713_131815.jpg IMG_20180713_131756.jpg

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

You may very well have medals that depict Hitler, Mussolini, etc. - you cannot have any such coins, as there are none. :) And yes, there are some nazi coins that have been counterfeited a lot. That does not really affect the ones shown in the initial post though (and they were not reproduced in West Germany later) but primarily the Litzmannstadt Getto (Łódź) coins ...

Christian

15. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I apologize if I categorized you as an inexperienced collector. However, I would have expected an experienced collector, who may not be knowledgeable of the particular subject matter to have asked the question in a more productive way. Maybe something to the effect “I think the lettering is different” or “the devices don’t look that they match genuine coins I saw on [web site or reference book]”, or even a reference or link to some articles indicating that there are concerns about the authenticity of this type of coin. This sort of thing is done all the time on CT, when people have questions about Chinese counterfeits.

Unfortunately, to demand that someone go back to first principles and prove the authenticity of a common, low value coin without a history of counterfeiting, is blatantly ridiculous, especially after acknowledging that you know very little about the subject and haven’t provided any supporting information to warrant it.

Once again, if you have any information that makes you believe these coins could be counterfeits, please present that as part of the discussion. Articles or Links? Even your personal observations about how a specific area of the coin looks different than what you’ve seen in the past can be a very useful starting point for a discussion that can provide a lot of information to new and experienced collectors alike. What makes you believe that they could be fakes?

Based on this, I would hope that you would reconsider the use of "irresponsible" in the previous posts.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Kentucky and TimH like this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

Yes, I don't know where Bert got his education, general or numismatic, but according to everything I have ever been taught, the burden of proof is on Bert, not the Hoopster.

It is Bert who is making the "outside of the norm" claim here. You don't get to yell "show me the evidence" of the generally accepted truth.

Numismat and lordmarcovan like this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

Rheingold and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. Bert Gedin

Firstly, Kurt's opinion is that the burden of proof is on me. And, whatever my education, I'm making the "outside of the norm" claim. To me, that is a great compliment, although I do realise that more conformist minded individuals wouldn't share my view, incl. the Guardian of the Farce & Dead-Eye Master. - Oldhoopster appears concerned about classing me as an inexperienced collector. But that is exactly what I am, and I have acknowledged that on numerous occasions. However, I consider myself a fairly good researcher, in various areas, incl., perhaps, history. It is almost amusing that I have defended Nazi Germany's coinage, and also attacked it, and in both situations I have had to be on the defensive. My present problem is, not so much whether or not those, allegedly, coins are genuine or not, but I have over-reached myself in discussion here. I realise that anything to do with Nazi Germany is a sensitive matter. I might, possibly, chip in with the odd (very odd !) comment here, if I may. Otherwise, the Sorcerers are welcome, if they so wish, to take over, whilst this Apprentice is more than happy to occupy less of the dangerous front line.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

... and STILL Bert fails to state what it is/was that initially gave him pause regarding the genuineness of the OP's coins.

Shaking. My. Head.

By the way, I'm still curious as to what it was.

20. lordmarcovan

FWIW, @Bert Gedin, I like your warmth and respect your obviously keen intelligence.

I just feel you go out on some pretty bizarre tangents sometimes, is all.

(As I myself have been known to do occasionally. Haha)

I almost responded to your Kipling quote with one from Lewis Carroll.

'Twas brillig...

21. Bert Gedin

Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll.

"Twas brillig and the slithy toves
    Did gyre ang gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

And hast thou slain the Jabberwock ? - - -
    And the mome raths outgrabe."

Draft saved Draft deleted