WTS, Ancient Coins Auction

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Ken Dorney, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Bidding closes November 3rd. Bid high or low, your choice. Updates given daily.

I had intended to provide price comparisons (and did so originally) but so many coins, so little time! But as one can do a quick and really easy search it seems moot. Anyone can check these against any dealer (or auction results) and see that they begin far cheaper than anyone else (I hope!!). Shipping is free worldwide, unless you wish other services, like registered mail. Photos are above text:

3388.jpg 3388. Kingdom of Macedonia, Lysimachos, 305 - 281 BC
    AE Unit, 23mm, 7.28 grams
    Obverse: Male head right wearing Phrygian helmet.
    Reverse: Trophy of arms and armor.
    SNGCop1164
    Opening bid $50. Yes, a big flan crack, but nice surfaces and patina.

3534.jpg 3534. Mysia, Gambrion, after 350 BC
    AE10, .89 grams
    Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo right.
    Reverse: GAM, Bull butting left, star above.
    SNGCop154,5
    Opening bid $20.

3383.jpg 3383. Thessalian League, Hippolochus as Magistrate, 150 BC
    AE Trichalkon, 21mm, 5.24 grams
    Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo right.
    Reverse: Athena Itolia standing right brandishing spear and holding shield.
    BCD901.5 // Rogers25
    Opening bid $25.

3254.jpg 3254. Thrace, Maroneia, 2nd Century BC
    AE Unit, 17mm, 6.15 grams
    Obverse: Head of Dionysos right wreathed in ivy.
    Reverse: Dionysos standing naked facing to left holding grapes and two narthex wands.
    SNGCop646 // Schonert-Geiss1556
    Opening bid $25.

3427.jpg 3427. Trajan, 98 - 117 AD
    Silver Drachm, Cappadocia, Caesarea Mint, 18mm, 3.45 grams
    Obverse: Laureate head of Trajan right.
    Reverse: Arabia standing facing wearing chiton, pelos and stephane, holds branch and sheathed sword, camel to left at feet.
    Sydenham183
    Opening bid $30.

3501.jpg 3501. Faustina Jr., Issue by Marcus Aurelius, 161 - 175 AD
    AE As, Rome Mint, 26mm, 10.22 grams
    Obverse: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, Draped bust of Faustina right.
    Reverse: SALVTI AVGVSTAE S C, Salus seated left feeding serpent rising from altar.
    RIC1671
    Opening bid $25.

H9.34.jpg H9.34. China, Emperor Wang Mang, 7 - 23 AD
    AE 5 Zhu, 24mm, 3.0 grams
    Obverse: Huo Quan. Double inner rim.
    Reverse: Blank, as made.
    Hartill9.34

From his complex and unpopular monetary reform, which included denominations of 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 50, 500 and 1,000 Zhu. These coins were largely similar in weight and appearance, and were difficult to use. It also explains why so many people hoarded earlier currency to use rather than the current official token coinage

Opening bid $5.

3302.jpg 3302. Claudius II Gothicus, 268 - 270 AD
    AE Antoninianus, Rome Mint, 18mm, 2.78 grams
    Obverse: IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Claudius right.
    Reverse: IOVI STATORI, Jupiter standing left facing holding thunderbolt and scetpre, N in right field.
    RIC54
    Opening bid $5.

90029.jpg 90029. Roman Sling Bullet from Spain, circa 1st Century BC to 1st Century AD
    Lead sling bullet measuring 37 x 22mm and 68.5 grams. Oxidized surfaces.

For reference, see M.C. Bishop & J. C. N. Coulston, Roman Military Equipment, From the Punic Wars to the Fall of Rome, figure 27, numbers 1 to 5.

Found in Spain, and purportedly from Munda in southern Spain, the decisive last battle between Julius Caesar and the Pompeians. As such these sling bullets would be remnants from one of the most important battles in all of western civilization, but alas, it cannot be confirmed, only that they are indeed found in Spain. The actual site of Munda has never been confirmed, though there are several good known possibilities.

Slingers were employed by both sides and used in most all of the Civil War battles. The only time they can be closely attributed is by inscription. Sling bullets were often cast with names, slogans or symbols, such as thunderbolts (I have in my collection two which are inscribed with the name of Pompey). Many have been found with interesting, funny or fanciful inscriptions. The Greeks used some humorous inscriptions such as "Take That!", or "Ouch!".

Roman inscriptions include:
    FERI POMP (Strike Pompey)
    PET CVLVM OCTAVIA (Attack Octavians Asshole, implying his troops were retreating)
    FVGITIVI PERITIS (Perish in Your Flight)
    DEXA (Catch!)

There are numerous classical writings on slingers, but the story I like the best is that illustrating the accuracy of these weapons (unfortunately I cannot remember the source, or find the reference as I have too many classical books! Perhaps Vegetius?). It relates how an unfortunate pregnant woman was too close to a battle and was struck in the belly by an errant sling bullet. The force of the blow caused the baby to be forced from her womb! A great story, and certainly not true, but it illustrates how effective slingers were and how devastating the results!

Opening bid $25.

3060.jpg 3060. AE Arrowpoint, 125mm
    Ex Axel Guttmann Collection, Lot27 (part of) Link to original auction below.
    Mahboubian390 // Khorasani468 (Marlik)

Opening bid $50.

Provenance: http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...-1st-4265206-details.aspx?intObjectID=4265206