WTC 'Ground Zero Recovery' questions...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Atarian, May 13, 2012.

1. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

There's lots them available. Most on Flea-bay with a buy it now of 10x a 'regular' silver eagle. I've also noticed that among the PCGS coins most are "gem uncirculated" which to me means they were thrown in a holder as fast as they could be. Others are actually graded. But I see that a person can get a:

"gem uncirculated" http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-BUY-20...745?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484536f861

or a "gem uncirculated 1 of 531" http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-BUY-20...569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484536fb99

or the same thing but "1 of 1000" http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-BUY-RA...148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33751d85bc

What does this mean?!?!?! They are all dated 2001.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

First one is ok buy, the others are not worth the price they are asking. Generally the ones dated 2001 are most popular, I've bought some for around $100 each in the past, but might not be 2001.

http://www.wtc911coins.com/ got more info about those wtc coins

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

First the "Gem Uncirculated" pieces are not from PCGS. They are from the parent company Collectors Universe and they simply used PCGS shells. Second the 1 of stuff is garbage. It simply means that they did a group of coins say 531 of them. EVERY slab in that group is marked 1 of 531. There is no 2, 3, 4 etc every coin is number 1. When they would run out a a group they would grab another group and they would all be 1 of whatever. After Collectors Universe did a bunch of them and they sold real well, PCGS got into the act and actually started grading them. So no grade they are CU, with grade they are PCGS. At first they were all 2001 ASE's. After about six months all the other stuff they recovered from the vaults started showing up in the PCGS slabs. (By that time CU was out of it.)

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

wtc-horz.jpg Thanks Conder 101 for the good information, I just learned something. I bought one to remind me everday of that event.
    Would like to say more but I would probley get banned

6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

i own 2 coins , i worked down town wtc managed a store and had been laid off cause of wtc..

7. Zlotych

Zlotych Member

So, these are coins that people who were in that building possessed someone obtained them and then sold them at a premium?

This is horrible.

8. dwhiz

No, these were recovered from an underground vault.

9. dwhiz

You may want to check this out:
    WTC911COINS.com

10. Zlotych

Zlotych Member

Still seems classless. They are exacting a premium on these coins based on a tragedy.

11. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

All marketing and justifying exorbitant prices.

12. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

It absolutely is.

13. BUncirculated

14. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Thanks Condor for the info and picture of the BACK of the slab. I've yet to see an e-Bay ad that showed the back and the lack of the PCGS hologram.

15. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Please remember that when these were first offered a portion of the proceeds went to the families of those that were lost in the building. What many people don't know is that there was a fairly large repository of silver under the WTC so these aren't rare by any streach. People paid a premium for them at that time and now they are selling them at what the market will support

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

A very small portion.

17. BUncirculated

People paid an exhorbitant amount of money for these, which were really worth much less, only because they were marketed as WTC silver.

You'd be surprised how much of the proceeds actually went to the survivors of the Twin Towers attack. It was much less that everyone anticipated.

18. ziggy9

I wasn't going to go into the percentages actually donated as that was the greed of the origional sellers. Most of the coins out there for sale now are being offered by individuals who's hearts were in the right place when they made the purchase based on the advertising. I just don't think its fair to call these people greedy or inconsiderate for tryin g to sell an item that they bought to, in their eyes, help out a good cause. Personally I wouldn't buy one as my memories of 9/11 and the weeks after that don't need a tangeable reminder.

19. ziggy9

I will say that if in 2051 some YN does an exhibit at a national show, based on these coins and the slabs that they rest within, then they will have served a purpose.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

For trying to sell it, no. For buying it because their heart was in the right place and they thought they were helping out a good cause, no. For selling and trying to re-coop what they paid "to help out a good cause" plus make a profit on top of that, yes. "I'm buying this because part of the money goes to charity, but when I sell it I want to get my donation back and then some."

21. ziggy9

Just like any other produt, are they supposed to say "I spent X for it with the understanding that some was to go to charity so I should just sell it for melt"? they are only getting what the market will allow like any other item bought, whether for charity or not. If there were not people willing to spend this much for the item, regardless of the reason then they would sell for the same asd ny other non WTC item.

Draft saved Draft deleted