wrestlers, a classic Greek coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I think of Greek silver coins as expensive, but some of the most common types are both classic and not too expensive. If you wanted to show a Greek coin to someone who knew nothing about them, a pegasus from Corinth would be a impressive choice. Another common type that is classic is the wrestlers from Aspendus in Pisidia. Selge in Pisidia also minted the type. Here is one that came today:

PisidiaSelgeWrestlers800.jpg
    Selge, Pisidsa. c. 300-190 BC.
    24-22 mm. 8.90 grams.
    Two wrestlers grappling, K between.
    Slinger slinging right, triskeles in right field, club and cornucopia below
    ΣEΛΓEΩN up the left
    Sear Greek II 5477 (has the same symbols)
    SNG von Aulock 5270 (different symbols below)

Show us a classic Greek coin, not too expensive, that would be appreciated by someone who knows nothing about ancient coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

What constitutes, "not too expensive?"

TypeCoin971793 and TIF like this.
  4. If I had to choose 1 classical that didn't break the bank:
    Istros Drachm.png
    Moesia, Istros Drachm. 4th Century BC

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats a nice one!

6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I haven't got to many Greek coins but I reckon these Akagras Crab bronze and silver fit the bill. 51049.l.jpg

7. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

That is just the sort of coin I was thinking about. Anyone would find those two inverted heads interesting and the eagle on dolphin is interesting too. All that on one of the least expensive Greek silvers!

Justin Lee likes this.
  8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Since the staters of Corinth were mentioned...

One could pick up a fairly decent example for under $300.

Corinth - Stater helmet Armounta.jpg

Without looking at rare issues, examples in higher grade and with better centering may go for $400 - $800.

On the other hand, issues from one of the more common Corinthian colonies (eg., Leukas or Anaktorion) will be slightly cheaper, and examples can be had for as little as $200. This one below is from Anaktorion.

Akarnania Anaktorion.jpg

9. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree that Corinth staters (and others with that design) tend to impress people, or at least the who see some of my coins. Part of the reason is familiarity, at least of Pegasus.

In the US this advertising icon is familiar to a few generations (seen here atop the Magnolia building in Dallas, Texas, circa 1940s; image from thedallaswhisperer)

[​IMG]

Mobil oil company used Pegasus as their logo for a long time, and many of us have fond memories of the neon red winged horse seen throughout the US :)

An old Mobil gas pump (image from wikipedia)
    [​IMG]

Yeah, that is the question and the answer will vary from person to person. Compared to the more interesting US coins, almost all ancient coins can be considered "not too expensive".

Here's my first Corinth stater and it always draws oohs and ahhs from non-collectors. It was my first "expensive" coin, but I've since recalibrated what I consider expensive :oops: :D

[​IMG]
    CORINTHIA, Corinth
    345-307 BCE
    AR stater, 8.65 gm
    Obv Pegasus flying left, qoppa below
    Rev: helmeted head of Athena left wearing necklace; mask of Silenus behind
    Ref: Ravel 1046. Calciati 408. Scarce variety.
    from Heritage Auctions, June 2013
    This scarce variety was chosen to represent Corinth staters, #23 in Harlan J. Berk's book, "100 Greatest Ancient Coins".

Although the example below probably doesn't fit with what Warren meant by "not too expensive", it is certainly possible to find Alexander the Great tetradrachms which are more modestly priced. The hefty coins are physically impressive and the design probably rings a bell even for noncollectors. If the beauty alone doesn't do it, name recognition will probably impress them.

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF MACEDON, Alexander III
    AR tetradrachm, 17.14 gm
    late lifetime issue, struck in Aradus c. 324/3 BCE
    Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin headdress.
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ; Zeus seated left, holding eagle and scepter; I in left field; AP monogram below throne
    Ref: Price 3325
    ex Colosseo Collection

Hispanicus, Theodosius, Ryro and 16 others like this.
  11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Well, I was paid $25 to keep this one. :)

D85579C9-AFDB-49FD-925C-2C6AB085C7DE.jpeg

12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What's the whole story?

Alegandron likes this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

I bought 2 lifetime Alex III tets for $350 and sold one for $375

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

How about one much scarcer as a fractional and is NOT nearly as expensive as its counterpart?
    upload_2018-2-15_7-22-27.png
    Athens Attica 454-404 BCE ARr hemidrachm 16mm 2.08g Athena frontal eye - facing Owl wings closed olive branches COP 70 SG 2528

How about TINY! And it is old on a relative coin scale. That always gets their interest:
    upload_2018-2-15_7-28-40.png
    Iona Kolophon AR Tetartemorion 530-520 BCE Archaic Apollo Incuse Punch 0.15g 4.5mm- SNG Kayhan 343

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Greek coins are expensive if you only can tolerate min state and large sizes but there certainly are many available for those on a budget.

Early Italian silver with incuse reverses are expensive in the largest and earliest versions but there are fractions and slightly later versions like this Kroton stater that can be found for less.
    g10100bb1708.jpg

Velia issued many lion variations using soft silver that resulted in many worn coins selling, quite appropriately, for a fraction of mint state examples. If you can tolerate these, fine. If not, pay.
    g10270bb0020.jpg

If the full stater or double of Thourioi is out of your price bracket, consider the 1/8 starter below.
    g10240bb0448.jpg

There are some Greek types that were issued in quantities large enough that they are not expensive in moderate grades. This is a drachm of Apollonia.
    g41015bb3250.jpg

Test cut coins should be cheaper than their perfect counterparts. This Athenian tetradrachm has a cut that distracts less than many.
    g41292bb3158.jpg

Hellenistic silver tetradrachms are usually seen in high grade but they do come in used as well. This is Antiochus I.
    g92250bb0013.jpg

Ryro, Ancient Aussie, TIF and 5 others like this.
  16. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Here's an inexpensive greek stater I bought from @Valentinian, which I often show to friends who know nothing about ancient coins. While it is not perfect, the metal is nice and the coin is very thick, so it is quite impressive in-hand. And all my friends know who Dionysos and Aphrodite are, so they like seeing a depiction of them.

Cilicia Nagidos stater.jpg
    c. 400-380 BC
    Cilicia, Nagidos
    AR stater 10.18gm - 20-17 mm
    Obv: bearded head of Dionysos with ivy wreath.
    Rev: head of Aphrodite right

zumbly, TIF, Valentinian and 4 others like this.
  17. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Such a coin should be big enough that it looks like a coin. It should have design elements that are still used on coins today. The grade should be high enough to be recognizable but not pristine. It should reference a person or place that is known today from TV and movies.

3910299.jpg
    SELEUKID EMPIRE. Seleukos I Nikator. AR Tetradrachm (25.5mm, 16.8g). In the name of Alexander III of Macedon. Ekbatana mint. Struck circa 311-295/81 BC.

Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin
    Rev: Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; in left field, monogram above anchor; ΣΩ below throne.
    Seleucid Coins 202.12; Price 3938

From the collection of Dr. Will Gordon, Ex Classical Numismatic Group 61 (25 September 2002), lot 479. Note: This is the Wildwinds.com example.

18. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Probably fits the bill , $60 paid incl.shipping

the ""invinceble"" Chimaera , killed by Bellerophon riding Pegasus the winged horse,he used a spear dipped in poisonous lead.

P1190950.JPG

19. TypeCoin971793

Nice buy for $60!

Draft saved Draft deleted