WOW! The Mint screwed up Big League...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cascade, May 25, 2017.

1. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Booooring

4. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

I focus mostly on rare coins so I am not a expert in this area but what is happening here is that the mint is so dependent on the profits they make from all of these modern issues that they are over marketing and diluting their collector base. ED

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Yeah, boring, but the principle is the same, is it not?

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I guess but there would be no instant gratification. That's the fun of it all. Win or lose everyone has the same shot. In your way one would have to buy almost everything to ensure success thereby diluting the reward. It would be no fun at all. The current way is great and no matter what they do some segment will always be upset. Capitalism is great and when you add a little gambling thrill in the mix it's even more awesome. I hope they never change how they currently offer their products and pre-release mintages, and I highly doubt they will.

7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Time will tell . . .

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

OK.........Pittsburgh. devil.gif

9. 2011steeny

2011steeny Member

I collect the American Silver Eagles, and I have the 1986 to current sets of the NGC MS69 Gold/Brown Label, (Bullion issue), 1986 to current NGC PF69 Ultra Cameo Gold/Brown Label, (Collector version), 2006 to current NGC MS69 "W" Mint Mark "Burnished/Satin" Finish Gold/Brown Label, (Collector version), 2006 to current NGC MS69 Early Releases Blue Label, (Bullion version), 2006 to current NGC MS69 "W" Mint Mark "Burnished/Satin" Finish Early Releases Blue Label, (Collector version), NGC MS69 2011 to current (Struck at West Point), & 2011-2014 & 2017 (Struck at San Francisco), Gold/Brown Label (Bullion versions) "BECAUSE THE LOCATION OF THESE COINS, AND WHERE THEY WERE MINTED, WAS WELL KNOWN, (especially among ASE Collectors), AND DOCUMENTED BY THE MINT, DURING "THAT" YEARS PRODUCTION RUN. All of the Special Silver Eagle Sets, 2006 (20th Anniversary 3 coin set in OGP and NGC MS69 & PF69), 2011 (25th Anniversary 5 coin set in OGP and NGC MS69 & PF69), (2012 Two Coin Set from San Francisco, in OGP and NGC PF69 U/C & Reverse Proof), and the (2013 Two Coin Set from West Point, in OGP and NGC PF69 "Reverse Proof" & SP69 "Enhanced Uncirculated"). I'm missing TWO Silver Eagles to have what I would classify as a COMPLETE Set of American Silver Eagles, and those 2 coins are the 1995-W Proof coin from the 10th Anniversary Gold & Silver Set, and the 2008 with the reverse of the 07. I say all that to say this, I plan on getting this years issues, that the mint claims were minted at the "Outside Mints", (San Francisco & Philadelphia), and the "Struck at West Point" labeled Bullion issue Silver Eagles. BUT these, "Back Year Dated", Silver Eagles, that are getting the astronomically HIGH prices now, to me, AS A SILVER EAGLE COLLECTOR, with all the Certified Silver Eagle coins I have, it seems to me that all this came up, so Dealers can make HOMOGENEOUS PROFITS, on Silver Eagles with a "Struck at ????????????" on the label, no matter which 3rd party grading service they use. The price of Silver has been low now for quite some time, and dealers needed something to make up for the loss of the "BIG" profits they're used to making. At this time, I am not going to purchase those issues, and I might be making a mistake, (example the 1995-W Proof Silver Eagle), but I'm going to take my chances, and once all this, "Where they were minted" hype calms down, (prices too), then I might think about purchasing them. The prices are going to have to go way down though, for me to afford them. I'm totally disabled, and living on Disability is tight, but I've been collecting for years, and the $500-$600 plus prices for 69 grade coins is way out of my reach. I'll wait!

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I did not read that for the same reason that I was wondering if you have ever heard of the word paragraph. Care to edit and reformat it?

11. 2011steeny

2011steeny Member

I tried to EDIT my message for you, but apparently there is a 60 minute time limit on editing newly posted messages. Sorry, but if it's too long for you, and not edited to your satisfaction, then just read the last 16 or 17 lines and you'll get the message.

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

To Long Didn't Read Version: He has an almost complete set and is waiting for the price of those P to come down

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It'd be nice if they let actual collectors have a chance at buying the stuff.

Santinidollar likes this.
  14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

They do have a chance, although they do have to be quick on their toes

15. baseball21

Plus that's generally one maybe two products a year max. Everything else usually lingers

Cascade likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I guess one of the ideas is to give everyone a shot. I know when Japan released the first 100,000 yen gold coin, it was only supposed to be sold to citizens, and even then there was a lottery to buy them. My mother-in-law got me one.

17. 2011steeny

2011steeny Member

Yes I am! I've made the mistake of buying the new items when they were getting this attention and the price was skyrocketing. Within a few months those same new items were cheap to get, but I had to have it right away, and paid way too much. I acquired my "almost whole set", over a period of many many years, and the most expensive item in my set was the 2011 5 coin 25th anniversary set. So yes, I'll take my chances with all the hype of the P mint eagles. Sounds to like your one of the dealers.

18. 2011steeny

2011steeny Member

baseball21 has to be one of the people that paid way too much for the (Struck at Philadelphia) minted Silver Eagles and has to justify his over expense of the coin to make the purchase worth what he paid for it.

19. baseball21

20. baseball21

Just to clarify. You wrote a wall of text which was largely just that u supposedly have a almost complete ASE collection. Then you said you were waiting on the P . You were insulted for you wall of text that should have been 3-4 sentences, I summarized and now you attack me? Good luck you are a mark for so many dealers with that logic stream.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Don't worry. Mike Mezack will get you one with a presentation box.

Draft saved Draft deleted