WOW! The Mint screwed up Big League...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cascade, May 25, 2017.

1. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

If you can't determine origin, date, strike or composition by examining the coins, it's all hearsay anyway. Box numbers, early releases, first strikes, etc.; you're just taking someone's word for it.

Cal

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

True, but something is seriously wrong if you can't take the mints word for it that a box came from where their records show it came from.

4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

How are you going to sue the us mint, which is owned by the us government, which makes the laws of the land . Congress will pass any laws as needed ...

5. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

I agree with you on that. They are all the same looking coin without any mint marks and yet someone who said they are from the "P" area and they produce less than whatever then now they are worth $600 bucks ??? Pretty stupid I would think.

harrync and Michael K like this.
  6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

You're right, of course. The problem that Congress now faces is that the Mint has for too long been the goose that laid the golden egg. They've become dependent on the Mint as a revenue stream, and will soon recognize that over-marketing their product has placed that revenue stream in jeopardy.

As I implied in my prior post, the only way they have to save that revenue stream (they cannot save face at the Mint) is to stifle the advertising of mintage limits, and hope that the speculation continues to put unexpected revenues in federal coffers.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Santinidollar likes this.
  7. "Stupid is as stupid does."

--- Forrest Gump

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Sounds like, its' time for a recall . Lots a ways to skin a cat ..

9. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Never going to happen they are required by law to provide the information on what's produced and where being a public entity. This whole mess started though because although the mint did just that with stating how many eagles were produced and where for the overall mintage. Someone then decided to use a FOIA request to force the mint to reveal the where based on lot tracking #'s and the whole 'P' less P slabbed eagles were born. I would say it's likely the mint makes it impossible to tell where bullion eagles come from going forward though.

10. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what mint they were struck at as long as the label says Philly, right? We're talking about a label collecting segment aren't we? :rolleyes:

dirty_brian and harrync like this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I love the smell of schadenfreude in the morning.

Kentucky and Nathan401 like this.
  12. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Some ASE's have mint marks (proofs and burnished), most don't. For the ASE's that don't have a mint mark, I would not pay a premium just because NGC or PCGS puts something on the slab saying where it was minted. I'm bidding on one coin (not an ASE) that says on the holder that it was made in Denver, but has a "S" on the coin. The grading companies goof even when there is a visible mint mark.

harrync likes this.
  13. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Unless I see the "W," "D," or "S" stamped on the coin, there's no extra value to me.

ddddd likes this.
  14. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Yes these are all things that YOU do. Much like with toned coins however you seem to not realize that not everyone likes the things you like.

I personally have no interest in a $600 ASE either but don't think twice about someone else wanting to do so.

Santinidollar likes this.
  15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I guess that the premiums on these boxes will disappear.

16. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

I'm much more concerned about the worth of the good old US dollar that I spend.

17. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

I don't understand what the issue is. It says right in the article:

That erroneous information has been used in the numismatic marketplace to promote some coins as rarities. Mintages are reportedly correct; 79,640 2015-(P) American Eagle silver bullion coins were struck at the Philadelphia Mint.

So the numbers that were minted in Philly are the same as originally stated. Who is the mint to say what is treated as a rarity? The fact of the matter is they were identified as being struck in Philly. And that is what the label says. There won't be any more. So it will continue to be treated as a rarity, if for nothing other than the label. It will be rare because the market will treat it as such.

As for the silver eagle bashers, to each their own. I personally can't see paying more than 1 cent for a penny.

18. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Lawsuits against who?
    The US Mint?
    The clerk that gave out erroneous information in good faith that it was correct?
    The individual that interpreted the FOIA Information?

This (mm) market is a bubble that can do nothing but explode leaving lots and lots of poor saps wishing they'd never gotten involved in this "label chase".
    Maybe their spouses should sue them?

Excuse me now since I have to go LMAO while viewing a photo of PT Barnum!

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What's next? We find out that Poland Spring has been selling us NYC tap water?

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They already tried to do that with the Philly ones in the first place. Some identifier will always need to be in place for them to track what came from where for when/if problems arise. Given the glut of ASEs they can't sell at the moment though it doesn't look like the demand will cause Philly to be in play again any time soon.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

NYC tap water is some of the purest in the world. It comes from northern springs plus the majority is pumped to rooftop tanks where the sediment drops to the bottom and the feed pipe is typically 12" above the bottom. Pizza shops around the country that want to create the most authentic NY pizza even pay big money just to import NY water to make their crust dough. They claim if just doesn't taste right without it.

Draft saved Draft deleted