Wow my first ebay seller scam.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Peter Economakis, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

I knew it was coming, only a matter of time.
    Iv'e been doing Ebay obviously more than ever because of the COVID issue. There isn't many coin shops in my area and most are pawn shops for the most part. I have been calling the local shops for silver coins but other than a few Morgans there a no 1/2's and to be found.
    I bought 2 times before from a certain ebay seller, nothing big but maby 20 quarters and 10 1/2 Kennedy's.
    On the 21st I get a tracking #label printed and nothing else no Post office drop off.
    I sent 2 kind messages as to when he would ship.
    This is todays response.
    I called my local PO and the manager was vivid when I read her the response. I don't blame here one bit.
    He actually replied that knowing the package has no record of being accepted at any PO.
    His Ebay store story is the usual.
    "Iv'e been a high level entrepreneur for 45 years and decided to sell pennies and some coins in my retirement"
    His pennies consisted of some rolls of 1943, 1945's 1950's and actually rolls of 1972 to 2010..
    I took 2 chance on the silver ones and 2 orders were good. So i'm thinking his ebay shop is closing and he's running off with a measly $45 LOL.

Attached Files:

TonkawaBill and capthank like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Haha. I had a similar experience and got a very similar message from a seller who I bought a relatively cheap ancient coin from. My guess is that he didn't want to sell at the low price and after making the tracking stuff, never shipped it and decided to blame the USPS.

Start the process for a refund and paypal/ebay will most likely side with you and you will get your money back.

TonkawaBill likes this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Tracking is your best friend. Sometimes a buyer claims non receipt. When I direct them to a valid tracking number that proves delivery, somehow they always retract their statement.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what seller you are referring too, but given everything going on right now it is common for tracking not to show up for a while. Very few people are going into the post office for acceptance scans especially on lower value sales and I have seen several that just sit for a week or so before showing up somewhere down the line. Not that long ago this year I had two separate things sent to Michigan and both took over a month to get delivered.

Obone, harrync, Bayern and 3 others like this.
  6. Peter Economakis

I'm thinking the same;). This order was a duplicate of the one that came a few days ago.
    Shipping was something like $1.69 and on the 2nd order where I got this reply the shipping was $3.99 even though it still said $1.69.
    I let the $3.99 shipping slide because I figured he wanted to make about 40 to 50 cents more on the coins. No biggie as it was $7.85 each for the "5" 1964 Kennedy1/2's.
    I did get a hold of a Ebay rep and I have to wait till the 30th of this month to put in a claim as the expected delivery last day is the 29th.
    The rep saw the reply but explained I have to wait for a Paypal or Ebay refund?

baseball21 I understand the tracking issues as iv'e gotten some dozzies where it will show my item is in the same State one day and then it's half way across the Country the next. The PO manager I talked to said in no way or form was this item brought to acceptence center.

Sorry Mod's for putting this in the wrong forum section..

TonkawaBill and capthank like this.
  7. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Lol "sticky fingers"... those nasty buggers at the PO with their "sticky fingers"

8. baseball21

They will tell you that 100% of the time unless you have video evidence because saying anything else opens them up to liability and potential criminal investigation from the US Postal Inspectors. All the manager did was run the tracking see it wasn't scanned and give you the standard response

Basic point was just that buyers need to show more patience right now and not just open and close cases as fast as possible. There's plenty of time to show some patience understanding the state of the world right now and still be protected

Obone, harrync, Hiddendragon and 2 others like this.
  9. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I've had 4 incidents of non-delivery lately, and I learn quickly that when the seller says they shipped, eBay just closes the case.

My opinion is that "buyer protection" is virtually non-existent

PayPal doesn't have eBay communication records, so especially with seemingly everyone not working, suggestions to use internet site, etc.. OUS Sellers have learned quickly that recourse is virtually non-existent.

I don't send any money unless I can now get verification of delivery capabilities.

I don't buy anything being "drop-shipped" from an outside source.

JMHE

TonkawaBill and Peter Economakis like this.
  10. Peter Economakis

It was just her words. Something also about the acceptance post office scanning on this items acceptance..
    I am very patience with Ebay and USPS shipping these days. His store profile said he ships the same business day and I had no problem with the other items.
    Amazon also I just wait.
    What got me though was after 4 days I asked politely to when he was going to ship the item and I get somewhat jerk response.. and the next day the sticky fingers remark..
    I also have never ever ever left a Negative nor Neutral feedback message on ebay. I take it as a learning experience and don't say a thing.
    I also hate those who love to give a red negative on items that cost $1 or $2 or $3 etc..
    I had the option of opening a case but am waiting it out till the estimated delivery.
    If this doesn't work out I am dam sure leaving some bad feedback. Will probably get deleted as alot of sellers do have a way of manipulating the ebay system.
    $45 isn't alot but enough to be upset and if I can get one person to see bad feedback on a seller than it's worth it..
    If it shows up at my door for some strange reason without tracking showing it does, then I tell the truth and said it came..

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Forget eBay and find a decent online coin store.

TonkawaBill likes this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, I wouldn't put this one on the seller yet. I shipped something where it took several days for it to show up in tracking; ever since, I've taken outgoing packages to the PO and asked to have them scanned when I hand them over.

I don't remember if I've ever had a package that never showed up in tracking and was still delivered, but it wouldn't surprise me.

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Better yet, hire a buyer to go find things for you. I mean, if price is no object... :rolleyes:

baseball21 likes this.
  14. baseball21

As a general comment on that I really hate how eBay does that as well. The day doesn't reset until midnight pacific so east coast sellers that had sales at 2am yea lol. Anyways yea most peoples handling time is longer than normal, even Amazon and everything else is taking longer than normal right now.

Probably wasn't the greatest response ever for sure, could have just been having a bad day or frustrated that he actually did drop it off and its gone. Stuff has been disappearing a lot more lately.

Again I have no clue who the seller is to make any sort of determination. It's just a lot better at this point if people wait a minimum of a week before making inquires. Many sellers are just as frustrated as buyers are with the state of the mail at the moment across all carriers

-jeffB and Peter Economakis like this.
  15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

SleazeBay, SpayPal and USPissOff........don'tcha just love em! ~ Chris

16. baseball21

It's not that unheard of. I've had a couple this year where basically the first scan was the delivery one and if that mail carrier decided not to scan it it would have happened. On the flip side also had a couple this year where they didn't scan it delivered but luckily the people were honest recently with that

17. Peter Economakis

Iv'e bought quite a few coins that just came in a regular envelope. I always message the seller as soon as the coins arrive which they all seem to truly appreciate. It saves money both ways also I guess shipping it this way.
    bb21 believe me this one seller has a bad vibe, but it also came out of the blue with his turn around?? His responses doesn't sound like he's ill.
    Mistake in tracking yes maby? but if it wasn't sent then best case I get my money back and he sells the coins for a higher profit like mentioned.
    There's another ebayer that yes might take over a week to send but he always does and iv'e come to accept it, but he is a big seller with 100's of orders a day to fill and ship.
    I have peeked into the warehouse part of my small local PO and they are swamped..Big screen TV's, microwaves, even saw tires I think and plus they even take some Amazon orders too..
    I have to find a local coin shop!!!!! like the old days!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  18. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

File a non received claim against him via ebay

TonkawaBill likes this.
  19. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I sell coins and books on eBay and shipping is very inconsistent lately. I get feedback saying I had lightning fast shipping and I have people messaging me asking where their coins is because it's been three weeks. I just dropped it in the same mailbox either way. I'm really sick of sending refunds when I did nothing wrong but it's the cost of doing business. Especially with books they can go weeks with no movement on tracking.

Even before the pandemic I had a case where I shipped to someone in the same state. He wanted it quickly so I took it right to the post office and put it in the box. For whatever reason they dropped the ball on it and it took a week to arrive. The buyer accused me of lying about sending it. I sent it but can't prove it if they don't scan it in. So the point I'm making is don't be so quick to condemn the seller. Buyer protection means there's no incentive to try to scam a buyer.

Mainebill and baseball21 like this.
  20. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

Shipping is delayed in my area. They only deliver my daily mail once per week. I’m personally not going into my PO as it looks like a car wash in there. I throw it in the secure bin and split. They have been skipping scans and it’s not uncommon for 6 days to go by and then it will jump to “out for delivery. My take, cut the seller some slack

21. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to “neither rain not snow nor dark of night...” and all that other stuff? I’m bummed that a little global pandemic has reduced the USPS’ ability to deliver the mail.
    I’m joking by the way. I hope all the mail people are doing their best to stay safe.

Draft saved Draft deleted