WOW !! Insane bidding on GC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dug13, Jul 25, 2021.

1. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

There's no way that's a 68.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

1938-D Buffalo Nickel All.jpg

Here is a 1938-D Buffalo Nickel I bought a couple years ago. It's in an NGC "fatty" MS-66 holder. It has a couple more marks, but it cost me $50, and I think that the strike is a little sharper.

Santinidollar and wxcoin like this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

5. Steven Shaw

Steven Shaw Well-Known Member

PCGS 65 Paid $38 IMG_4161 (2).JPG IMG_4162 (2).JPG

Santinidollar and wxcoin like this.
  6. charley

charley Well-Known Member

And some people bid top dollar on a coin because they got confused and did not know what they were getting for their money.

Money doesn't buy happiness, said the poor guy.

wxcoin likes this.
  7. Crate Digga

Crate Digga Active Member

IMG_20210316_162912_542.jpg IMG_20210316_162912_550.jpg

NGC MS66
    Fleabay find. Also came with another rose gold MS65 from the same submission. Paid $58 for the pair.

wxcoin and Santinidollar like this.
  8. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Didn't Barnham have some sort of saying about suckers?

charley likes this.
  9. Steven Shaw

10. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

You can collect coins.

Or, you can collect products made from paper, plastic and metal.

In this case, the coin is not scarce, even in high grade. The product is very scarce and, as others have pointed out, may become scarcer in the future.

Someone (at least two someones) are collecting the product and paid a lot for it.

11. charley

charley Well-Known Member

So is a Yugo.
    (insert smiley face here).

wxcoin likes this.
  12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Neither the gold CAC nor holder would make a difference to me. It's the coin itself, and I am not that impressed with it. In my opinion, I would pass. Good luck

13. Steven Shaw

Since it seems to not matter what the coin is, I wonder what this is worth?

img.jpg

14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The market is strong for exonumia. In this case, at least the coin removed from the numismatic market is only a common 38-D Buffalo.

15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Simply case of two individuals that got into a bidding war and just had to have the coin.

16. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

So am I but nobody wants me. Maybe a gold bean would be better than baked beans.

ddddd and charley like this.
  17. If you think that is crazy just look for a Green holder Redfield Morgan dollar. They go for insane prices and very few of them grade 65 plus, which is printed on the insert. I know because I have one and am looking for another one because I have 2 grandsons, that I would like each of them to have one. I have not seen one for sale at the last 4 or 5 FUN shows. I also check Great Collections and Ebay on a regular basis, and still no luck.

18. ddddd

ddddd Member

Mostly yes. Some people like collecting the holders/stickers. There is some merit to having an early piece of grading history. Most people don't go for that and prefer spending on the coin rather than the plastic. There is nothing wrong with either option as long as you have an idea of what you are doing and aren't spending more than you can afford to lose.

wxcoin likes this.
  19. ddddd

ddddd Member

Rattlers are more common unless it's the first generation white label (all of them start with 108 in the cert number but not all 108s are white labels). Still, they can have a slight premium (depends on the coin; although it's nothing significant like the auction mentioned in this post).

You're a gold bean in my book. :D

The Green Redfields with the 65 plus are very scarce as well. It's a challenge to find them and expect a significant premium when you do (unless you find a seller that does not know what they have).

wxcoin likes this.
  20. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted