Wounded eagle

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Marc Pruitt, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Marc Pruitt

Marc Pruitt New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marc Pruitt

Marc Pruitt New Member

And the other

Attached Files:

4. Marc Pruitt

Marc Pruitt New Member

I think since it pokes up from the surface and it isn’t a gouge it’s hard to get a good picture. Plus they’re the shiniest coins I’ve ever seen in my life.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

This error is the result of a die gouge. Therefore, it would result in a raised line on the coin. It looks to me like you have one, or more. Nice find.

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

If your going to sell any, PM me on the site ...

7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

If, you are intending on selling them, they will need to be attributed by a grading company as "wounded eagle" or as "FS-901" for the die variety, and then the grade.
    I do not think it's technically worth the fees below MS62 or lower really could be a break even proposition at that grade or lower, BUT it's worth the additional costs for grading attribution and encapsulation before sale if they can get MS63 or better I think. sold raw and ungraded, it's up to the pictures, and the buyers judgement call if it is or isn't and what grade it is.

Getting them graded takes that guess work out of it for them, I mean I think you are looking at about $250 each or better at MS63, and with them encapsulated and all taken care of I think they will get the "or better", and if they grade higher it's all icing on the cake.

They look nice for 20 year old sacs. it's worth the fees on this I think for ease of sale and maximizing the price sold for. Heritage or great collections would take them for auctions also, so you don't have to deal with the ebay nonsense either. Maybe not all at one time, of course, one sold here one sold there over the course of the year also to maximize profits.

8. Marc Pruitt

Marc Pruitt New Member

That’s awesome. The best price I can find for grading them is about $12 dollars per coin, that’s over $600 for the lot of them. I might sell a couple just to cover that cost. Hey thanks, I really appreciate the help.

9. Marc Pruitt

Marc Pruitt New Member

Here’s a pic for everyone that thinks I trolling.

Attached Files:

John Burgess likes this.
  10. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

one more thing, from what I can tell as ungraded, buyers don't seem comfortable paying more than $100 for one, About AU price, with the exception of possibly very good clear pictures selling higher.

There's always ANACS which has like a 12 coins for $120 grading special or something like that but not all grading companies are created equal and people like and pay more for PCGS or NGC.

Cheap might be better for your pocket, but in a lot of cases, it will also hit your pocket when you go to sell too. if they all are SAC 2000P FS-901 "wounded eagles", it might be worth the money to send in all of them to be graded by PCGS or NGC and at least you can split up the shipping costs to do it.

I wouldn't go with any other company besides those 3, I mentioned though. and ANACS slabs don't sell as high as the other two do. if they were $100 bill each I'd say save the money and go ANACS or don't grade them at all, But there's upside potential on these and worth the costs in my opinion to realize and maximize the return.

Now, You should also go through each one before you go further, make absolutely certain they are the SAC 2000P FS-901 "wounded eagles". they all should look exactly like the example pictures. if there's any variation, it's not going to get slabbed as the variety, and that's about the only die variety the grading companies recognize for that year while there are others. it should look EXACTLY like below where the arrows are pointing.

Capturem 7876.PNG

one more thing, DON'T touch them with your fingers at all, the SACs are notorious for etching of fingerprints into the coin, anything like that will seriously affect what you can get for the coins in sales.

Mountain Man likes this.
  11. Marc Pruitt

Marc Pruitt New Member

I have opened two rolls and gone ten coins deep into each one and they were mostly the wounded, I don’t dare explore them further until I get something else to put them in other than the rolls themselves. I don’t want to damage any of them. Looks like I’ll start sending them to get graded a dozen at a time. I really appreciate all the help and I will 100% continue to follow up with this thread as I do so!!

John Burgess and Rick Stachowski like this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@Marc Pruitt welcome to CT. As you can see, we have some great experts here that give their advice for free.
    I might suggest that you take my advice into account.
    You should always post in focus FULL IMAGE photos (after you upload your photo, two buttons appear: Thumbnail and Full Image, click Full Image and your photo appears full size on your post and is easily enlarged by clicking on it). Photograph coins on neutral backgrounds like black, grey, or white. Crop out superfluous background so just the coin shows, and post photos with correct orientation so members don't have to turn their computer in some awkward fashion to view it properly. While it isn’t always necessary, it is nice to show both the obverse and reverse, even if your question is just about one side. Members can often give more valuable information having both sides to evaluate. Add close ups of areas you have questions about and make your questions as definitive as possible so we know what you are asking for. And try to have the best lighting possible to show the most favorable photo of the coin. Hope this helps in the future. Good luck.
    Also, if you want to completely remove all background, try this site: https://www.remove.bg

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I wasn't into it in 2000P/D were minted. I have two, albeit, one is 2000 P tarnished and the other is 2000 D, semi-tarnished.

14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

15. Cheech9712

Who has a black desk. Shows dust

16. BJBII

BJBII Metrologist, CSSBB

A perfect imperfection? Does not make a lot of sense.

John Johnson and John Burgess like this.
  17. Cheech9712

Now I want one

18. Cheech9712

Hey their the real deal. Good job

19. Marc Pruitt

Marc Pruitt New Member

Perfection is subjective I suppose lol.

20. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. In these images I think the error is too obvious. I've never seen one where it was so obvious. If these are real, I think they need to be graded.

21. Marc Pruitt

Marc Pruitt New Member

I had a local dealer look at some of them and he put them at an uncirculated grade and I also sent out ten of them to get professionally graded. I’m working with a few people to figure this out, I just don’t know if there is a market out there that would want these. I guess we’ll see.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted