Would You Want To Be A Professional Numismatist?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lonegunlawyer, Oct 22, 2012.

1. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

If you have not already done so, would you ever want to earn your living as a professional numismatist?

If so, what would you specialize in or what would you want to do in numismatics?

Would you write articles and books?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thecoin

thecoin New Member

Yes, shrug, and Writing is in my blood, so yes, many

4. lonegunlawyer

What do you think you would want the title of your first numismatic book to be?

5. thecoin

thecoin New Member

Uh, we'll, I don't think I would write books, most likely articles, my mother has written 3 books, working on a 4th, and writes many articles, I think that a book does not suite coins or paper money well, as there are many topics I think work better in articles, but I'm a long way away, man it took a long time to type this, because I had a cat in my arms:)

6. FE21

FE21 Member

So far that's my goal in life! (No, seriously, if I start now, I might just be able to...)

7. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I wouldn't mind writing a book or two on numismatics. But to be honest, there aren't many numismatic writers that can earn a living doing so.
    Guy

8. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

As someone who does make a living being a professional numismatist in a brick and mortar store, you can specialize but you have to have a working knowledge in many areas of the hobby. Last week alone I identified and dated Islamic coins and ancients as well as handled one of the dream US coins (1895 proof Morgan). I also bought and sold rare US currency... That was last week alone.

It is not easy but can be a rewarding career.

9. lonegunlawyer

That is cool. Do you ever get time to write and publish?

10. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I do write segments and articles for our podcast The Coin Show. There is a link in my sig as well as a player on the right side of the site.

11. lonegunlawyer

I am listening now. Thanks.

12. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I am a professional numismatist and I do write in my spare time.

13. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I'm a full-time numismatist. I've written published articles for Coin Values and have been a contributor to the Numismatist as well. Additionally, the newly published reference book on Reeded Edge half dollars was a work that I collaborated on where I wrote the extensive introduction and Dick Graham wrote the die marriage details (Dick had the harder part). I specialize in superb coinage and coin photography and find it is a very difficult field to work in if one wants to treat both their buying and selling clients well.

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I worked for a major dealer in New Orleans for a couple of years, it was a very rewarding career. I saw some of the rarest and most expensive coins ever produced. Unfortunately the scope of my knowledge is quite limited as I have only ever studied US coins. So, after Katrina, the company moved to Texas for a while and I was unable to join them or land another job at a local shop. I really miss it, and someday I hope to become a dealer again.

15. aandabooks

aandabooks Member

If I were to change careers and try to become a professional numismatist, it would be as a shop owner. I grew up in family owned small business and that is where my interest would lie. My biggest problem would be the selling part. I don't know if I could have the professional detachment to turn coins over without wanting to hold-on to alot of different coins.

16. lonegunlawyer

If you don't mind me asking, any specialty in dealing or writing?

17. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I only thing I think I would like doing is writing a contraian
    newsletter. But I'm pretty sure I would starve to death.

18. Neal h

Neal h New Member

Yes, How many of each coin that made and how in the respectful grades and what's are my favorites

19. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I have been a coin dealer, albeit on a very small scale, and I've helped out in two coin shops, but had enough of a taste of the business to realize that I would rather earn my living by other means, and enjoy coins as a hobby.

The entrepreneurial thing just isn't for me. Gives me ulcers. I'd rather work for somebody else and collect a regular paycheck, but keep my own little coin thing (eBay, selling and swapping on forums, etc.) on the side.

More power to the folks who have the capital, the knowledge, and the business acumen to go professional, though. I'm glad they're out there.

I'd say I've got most of the numismatic knowledge necessary to be a professional numismatist, but the business savvy part doesn't come as naturally to me.

Think I'll remain a "vestpocket" dealer and a swapper, and stay within my place.

Used to have much more ambitious dreams, though, before I actually tried the thing.

Jaelus likes this.
  20. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

No, no desire at all to ever be a professional. Way too much work involved. Doesn't mean I don't want to specialize however. I've spent 50 plus years doing exactly that.

21. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I would like to be a dealer but only part time. I have a great job right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted