Would you trade your collection for one coin.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert Ransom, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

If you had the opportunity to trade your complete collection of coins, medals, etc. would you and if so, what coin.
    Ps. You cannot part with it. You must keep it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Yes; 1907 pattern double eagle with Indian obverse.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  4. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

5. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

yes...for a 1913 Liberty nickel...which I would promptly sell for the funds necessary to build my collection again.

6. stairstars

stairstars Well-Known Member

1836 GOBRECHT dollar, name on base. Judd 60.

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I almost said yes.... But then I got to thinking. Here at my advanced age I have managed to acquire a few of my "dream" coins. And once the initial awe of the dream piece wears down a bit, I find I still enjoy my piles of average stuff. I think it would be easier for me to trade my wife for a dream coin... Lord, I hope she doesn't read CT!

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Since I'd have to keep it, I'd choose a 1933 St. Gaudens with a reverse mortgage.

9. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

I would go simple and trade for this beaut! :hungry:

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

If I answer the OP question vanilla, (no reverse mortgage, but smart idea), then no. No one coin could fulfill my collecting bug. I don't care if it was the world's best Eid Mar, the Sheldon 1 in SP67, (known as "the coin" to many EAC members), or one of only three known Alexander tets showing him on Bucephalus battling the Indian army. I don't need thousands of coins, (I think), but a slim 1000 coins is about the bare minimum I could stand I think. Even that thought is giving me the willies.....

kazuma78, longshot and Robert Ransom like this.
  11. Robert Ransom

You in a heap a troubl if she do. ;)

stairstars and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

13. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

I'm throwin' the flag on EVERY 'yes'.

[​IMG]

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

15. stairstars

stairstars Well-Known Member

Throwing the flag?? On what penalty?? Daydreaming?? :wideyed:

16. nuMRmatist

Edit your post RR ; caveat is that the ONE coin you'd trade for must = value of what you have now.

Otherwise , OF COURSE answer is yes , because value of most collections the coin, for which we'd trade.

Of course ss ; who here has a collection more valuable than the couple of posted coins ?

ANYone can trade their whole collection for 1 particular coin OF EQUAL VALUE. That ain't no daydream.

RR's question needs to be edited .

okbustchaser answered the [incorrect] question correctly , as is...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  17. okbustchaser

Why would I trade my collection for a single coin (which under the edited rules of the OP I must keep)? I have absolutely NO interest in owning any single coin regardless of the value.

Any coin which I must keep--ie, can never sell--has absolutely no market value

18. nuMRmatist

okbc - if your [one's] collection was worth half a $million , or 2 $million , then of course they'd trade for a coin that might be worth $millions more.

I think no one would NOT do so ; be they a millionaire already , or otherwise ...

spirityoda and Robert Ransom like this.
  19. Robert Ransom

No edit. No other caveat needed. The premise of the question is, 'Who would give up their complete collection to have any coin they wished knowing they could never sell it?'

20. okbustchaser

Regardless of so-called market value of a coin if one cannot ever resell it then it is worth nothing. I'll keep my collection.

21. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

The coins I have are all special. So, the values that the above talk about are not important to me. Some I found in a creek when on a Scout camping trip in 1954 that got me started. They are just things and memories. Today, our collecting has been taken over by people who only care about a high profit, not true collecting. The young don't care for anything except games on their computers/phones. Think of how many young collectors do you know today. In our club we many have two. Sad! Each to your own.

Draft saved Draft deleted