Would you rather have?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by furryfrog02, Mar 1, 2021.

1. charley

charley Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

If you pay $80 for an ounce of silver in the form of a coin will the $50 difference always be available when you sell?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Ah, you see? I told you I’m green. No further questions with this witness, thanks.

Cheech9712 and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I would never spend $80/oz for silver!
    The only stuff like that from the mint would be proofs and those don't tend to hold their value.
    Regular bullion ASEs are just normally a bit above spot.

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I'm a bit late to this thread, but if I were in your position @furryfrog02, I'd choose the dollar coins since I'm missing those coins for my 7070 as well. Then again, pre-33 gold is always nice to have since it is quite liquid, but regardless that decision is up to you.

kountryken and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. furryfrog02

Not late yet :)
    I'm going to do the exchange here in about an hour.
    Then I will need to figure out what to do!

8. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

However, if the dollar coins appear that they'd warrant a details grade, I'd personally rather go with the gold indians.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I have been fortunate over the last 24 years. My father sat my brother and I down and he told us that he had been collecting coins. They are/weren't gold, but there is some silver. He told us that he didn't have the kind of money he would need to buy gold. My father was a Sargent in the U.S. Navy, then he retired in the Army. He served as a corpsman in the Navy and when he switched to the Army after WWII, we became a glorified medic. He did everything an RN could do. He was a Veteran in the Navy in a submarine, then a medic Korean War and his final service was in Vietnam. He was wounded in all three wars. Anyway, I was proud of my Dad and when he left us his coins, it wasn't much, but it was my Dad's. Anyway, he told me that if he had any money, he would have bought Gold. Thanks to him, I bought the U.S. Mint's gold which I was very selective about which gold coins I would buy and they are now worth many more times than my purchase price. The gold coin I am most proud of owning is the 2016 W Mercury Dime Centennial Gold Coin ($204.95). I was also very lucky to buy the other two coins in the set... 2016 W Standing Liberty Centennial Gold Coin ($489.95) and the 2016 W Walking Liberty Centennial Gold Coin ($869.95). I'm not sure, nor do I care what they are selling for now.
    My recommendation is to buy gold, but watch the market too.

11. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

I am a coin collector, not investor. I collect for the fun of it, not the value of it. I don't anticipate ever selling my collection. So, for me, it would be which I wanted more, filling in some coins I'm missing, or adding a new area, gold. I like gold coins, too. And, I'm blessed to have 2 of them. But, I got them after I was satisfied with where I was at in filling empty spots. I still have some empty spots, just ones that are not budget friendly. But I'm glad I got my Trade Dollar, before I purchased a gold coin. That's just me, I'm different, I guess? Oh, I like circulated coins best, too. No matter which you choose, you're not making a mistake, just a choice.

Inspector43 and SchwaVB57 like this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Hope you went for the Gold!

spirityoda likes this.
  13. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Me too. That's the way I look at it. And, most of my collection is from circulation. My coins look like they had to work for a living.

kountryken likes this.
  14. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

My first choice would have been the Liberty Seated Dollar No Motto.
    But the price of gold right now really makes that $5 Gold Indian stand out to me.
    Go for the gold.

15. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

I’d complete the 7070 album. You know you’ll never be happy with the empty holes and that you will eventually fill them one day. Might as well do it with “free” money.

kountryken likes this.
  16. furryfrog02

So I'm having a tough time finding any $5 or $2.50 gold indians. Or any gold for that matter. I called my LCS and they don't have any nor does any place I can find online.

steve westermeier likes this.
  17. steve westermeier

steve westermeier Cancer sucks!

It's your money so buy what you can afford and what you want!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  18. TheTodd

TheTodd Member

I would like to buy a few of your W quarters for $10 each. Email me...

19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Silver. Their nice looking

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I just love the $2.50 Gold Indians. That's why I have the complete set. They are affordable, except for one. Go for the $2.50 gold.

kountryken likes this.
  21. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I'm sorry. These threads continually confuse me. Your money. Your collection. Your choice. You get to look at your choice daily if you choose. Not sure why anyone else's opinion matters.

This post is NOT meant to be offensive. So please don't take it that way. I truly am confused when I see people ask what others think they should spend their money on.

spirityoda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted