Would you prefer this or blast white?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Jun 16, 2019.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Don't be all high and mighty and say, "neither." So let me put it this way: If your own blessed Mother, on her deathbed, gave you this coin to cherish forever, would you prefer it toned like this or blast white, assuming it was graded the same... AU55? Please share your input as to why you answered the way you did. Thanks! received_657027668053008.jpeg received_296145924599261.jpeg received_2199723536741804.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am an avowed blast white man. If they were side by side in my dealers case and that was the coin on my mind. There would be no choice. I’m going blast white..... While I have never changed the appearance of a coin myself, that mottled toning is not remotely eye appealing to me.

4. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Gift from family, family heirloom... keep it original every time IMO.

If I had dipped these they’d have been just like any other Morgan, instead I know they have the same skin as when my great grandfather stuck them in a roll and shoved them under the bed for a rainy day that luckily never came.

C6CB3A11-86B1-4D04-99AA-DCF957EEF430.jpeg BCEC46DB-27A2-4FB3-B2C3-1E1FAC09A314.jpeg

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Preferring blast white if I purchased, this would be a keeper for life had it been given to me by my blessed mother. I still own the 1923 Peace dollar my grandmother gave me when I was 12.

Stevearino and Garlicus like this.
  6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

It doesn't look to me like the luster is intense beneath the toning. Therefore, I think the coin would look very unnatural if it were dipped white. I think it should be left as-is.

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I am a toning enthusiast but I find that toning extremely unattractive. So if my choice is either that toning, or blast white, I would take blast white. That said, I would never attempt to dip the coin in question. Though it is hard to imagine that coin getting uglier, a think dipping it would accomplish exactly that.

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'm not going to touch it. But I hate the look now.

Stevearino and LA_Geezer like this.
  9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

It’s okay as it is now. Not perfect, but okay. I don’t like white coins. And a 200yrs old silver coin shouldn’t be blast white anyway.

10. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

The leopard spotting isn't attractive. White for me.

11. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Poll results:

A) toned ** (2)
    B) blast white **************** (17)

Listen to the two coin aficionados who share the same first name ;-)

Stevearino likes this.
  12. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

I prefer the coin as is. Even though the toning is mottled, it's original.

Two Dogs likes this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I prefer originality.

Two Dogs likes this.
  14. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Was it actually your mother’s?

Edit- changed my mind. I forgot I made a rule not to do or suggest anything against my better numismatic judgement. You’re right to leave it alone, though I do wonder how deep those dark spots go.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    LA_Geezer likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If my Blessed mother gave that to me on her deathbed I would cherish it as long as I was alive. If I had this coin the toning would bother me to death but I would leave it as is. If I was to buy this coin I would be looking for a blast white coin as that is what I prefer.

16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

No. Not my mother's. Just trying to get folks to pick one way or the other and avoid the middle ground.

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Wouldn't dip that one, but if it could be blast white, I would prefer it.

Stevearino likes this.
  18. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

You’ll have it sold by dinner anyway.

19. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I prefer blast white, and if it as the coin in question, I never dip or try to change the appearance. I would cherish it as it is.

20. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Everyone does understand this isn't an heirloom, right? I just wanted to see who would keep it as is, with the mottled toning, and who couldn't stand it and would rather have a dipped out coin. One or the other. No in between.

21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’d leave that one alone, though I prefer non-toned.

Draft saved Draft deleted