Would You Pay $80...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bonedigger, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

For this EF-40ish coin?

Take Care
    Ben
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

It's listed now with an asking price of over $100.00 but one thing I noticed over the past few days is it won't sell for the asking price. Prices have stalled in the series for certain "common date/type" AG-3 -EF-40 CBHs and it may (just may) have ripples thru the hobby.

The bubble may have finally burst...

Take Care
    Ben

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

OH, NO!

Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell, Gotta sell, gotta sell, gotta sell.

Where is my ebay password, anyway?

5. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

No I woudnt spend $80 on it :eek: not unless you told me it was worth that LOL I dont know enough about them :) But if I spent that much just think how many notes I could have picked up LOL Seriously though it is a nice looking coin :kewl:

6. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

It's not just coins, Ben.
    I keep a close eye on Plymouth Road Runners and their parts on eBay.
    I paid $28 (shipped) for a set of tail-lights, for mine, that normally had been going for at LEAST $100 a set.
    Everyone has spent their income tax check.
    You'll see things pick back up about the end of May when the Economic Stimulis checks start distributing fully.
    ;)

7. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

To be quite honest I really wouldn't mind a stall/retreat in the price surge over the past few years.

Ben

8. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

I agree, it would be nice to be able to add some more coins to the collection.

9. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I don't know nearly as much as you do about CBH's, but I would be inclined to say that $80 is a fair price. There's a lot of detail, particularly on the reverse.

Edit: I agree that it would be nice if prices fell. Sometimes I look at price guides from about ten years ago and wish for a second chance.

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Yes, Ben, an end to the last price surge would be a welcome respite. We have, however benefitted from it in our values, and I was glad to see the prices of coins appreciate. I remember years on end of coin prices being relatively flat (especially the modern stuff) and wondering if it would ever be worth it to collect coins. I can't say that it outperformed any investments, but just a small appreciation combined with my love of what I was doing have made these last few years something that I can remember as one of "the good times" in my life.

11. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Don't you wish that you could go back a few years and pick-up some PCGS MS-65 Red 1922 "No D" (Die Pair #2) Lincoln Cents and sell them at today's prices??!!:whistle:'ing Dixie!!

12. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

Any semi-key and key Lincolns for that matter. The worst part is I could see it coming with the 100th anniversary approaching , but had no money to capitalize on it.:headbang:

13. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

:goof: EF-40ish with a capital ISH!

I personally would call that out as a VF-30 by the photos. However, I would still think $80 shipped to be a fair price for the coin.

14. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Nice coin, not sure on the value though. I'm not ready for prices to drop yet, wait till I sell everything, then the prices can drop so I can buy 'em back. ;) :D

Phoenix :cool:

15. Oldman

Oldman New Member

Id pay 80 for it. But i would call it a VF INHO its a little shy of XF

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

agreed!

17. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Maybe - depending on the variety and what I thought of the coin.

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm thinking $80 is probably a fair price. It's really nice as far as marks and color.

Would not be shocked to see it in an EF holder but I'm not saying I would buy it as such, even with the small price difference between VF and EF.

I could also see where someone working on these might pay much more to have such a problem free example.

19. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Soubds good to me, if I had that much to spare... I collect by type mainly but that would be a nice upgrade to my slightly damaged version in my type set (or as I prefer to think of it, "charactered" lol...)

20. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

It's a nice looking coin with solid eye appeal that is worth $80. However, I would call it VF.

Generic Bust Halves seem to have cooled a bit.....at least for us. But pre-1820, Mint State pieces, and any halves with exceptional eye appeal are still selling easily.

21. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I've been casually looking around at CBHs [because of all of these interesting threads] in my usual spots and I haven't run across a single example yet under $100 that wasn't scratched, dinged, obviously cleaned, ugly, or low grade. So regardless of whether this is VF, VF+, EF- or EF, I still think it's a good buy for $80.

Draft saved Draft deleted