Would you pay $45 for this coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Eduard, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

.....cleaned, somewhat harshly leaving hairlines.

(a scarce variety, JR-1, R-4, second scarcest of the five 1825 varieties of Capped Bust dimes).

I am greatly interested in hearing your opinions.

1825 dime JR-1 OBV2 tilted N - 1.jpg 1825 dime JR-1 REV2 tilted N - 1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Seattlite86 and NSP like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yes sir I would. No question she has had some help with her shine. But then many coins from that era have been cleaned up at some point. Regardless the polishing job I believe she is quite attractive at $45.00.

Eduard likes this.
  4. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I would as well!

Eduard likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'm not into cleaned coins and I think this one has been harshly cleaned. I would save my money and wait for a better coin but that is me.

masterswimmer and Eduard like this.
  6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Couple questions. 10:00 on the obverse, is that a die break?
    And that blue line around the edge in the pics, could the pics be over contrasted making the coin appear brighter than it actually is?

Eduard likes this.
  7. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I would say yes as well. That is indeed a cud near star 5. The Early United States Dimes book says that there is a crack along the denticles along the left side of the obverse that eventually progresses into a cud that reaches the outer point of star 5.

Eduard and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Personally, no, but I don’t study/buy this series and I would want a problem free example for my type set.

Eduard likes this.
  9. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

The coin has at least VF details and does not appear to have problems other than cleaning. PCGS Guide shows $250 for a VF20. I would say the discount is substantial even for harsh cleaning. Perhaps a candidate for flipping?

Eduard likes this.
  10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, all for your input. Much appreciated!.

I am of two minds about this one. From the sellers pics it was clear it had been cleaned.That in itself I can tolerate, if done well. However, the cleaning was done badly and left the coin with hairlines. A beautiful and scarce coin to a large extent ruined.
    Actually I am being too drastic - the hairlines are mostly visible under direct. intense light, otherwise the appearance is quite good, (there is no denying the hairlines are there).

I am thinking, though, that I will keep it due to the very low price (actually $44 inc. postage), and the fact it was struck in a late state of the obverse die. I have another 1825 JR-1 in an early state of the die, so this one serves the purpose to illustrate the die wear progression. Judicious natural re-toning (window sill) should improve the appearance.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Also Bust is hard to come by without damaging on it. Yes this probably had been clean, but doesn't look like harsh cleaning like others I have seen.

Eduard likes this.
  12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Higher grade capped Bust Dimes, specially the early type 1814-1828 are scarce for sure. This example's one redeeming quality is that it has a high level of detail.

13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

@NSP I'd be interested in your opinion of the scarcity of 1825 JR-1, JR-3 and JR-5.

The reason I'm asking is that some sources indicate that while JR 1 and JR-3 are both scarce (R-4), only JR-5 is rare at R-5.

However, the new 4th.Ed Mega Red Book which focuses on Dimes specifically now
    lists all 3 at the same availability level (estimated population of 75 - 175 in circulated grades).

Thanks!

NSP likes this.
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Over time rare varieties tend to have their rarity drop. Especially for the rarer ones because those are the ones people search for. Then you have the fact that it takes finding a lot fewer coins to make an R-5 coin drop to R-4 than to make an R-4 drop to R-3

longshot and Eduard like this.
  15. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I would buy it. Yes it's cleaned but that is a rarity and it has nice detail. $45 is a low risk for what would otherwise be a $1k coin.

johnmilton and Eduard like this.
  16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I don't collect dimes by die variety, so I would not buy it, but $45 is not much money for a better die variety that has been polished with this much detail. Vess1 summed it up pretty well.

Eduard likes this.
  17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I'm at $30-$35 but the difference is not that great.

18. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

The Early United States Dimes book claims that 1825 JR-1 is R4, 1825 JR-3 is R3, and 1825 JR-5 is R5. It’s worth noting that these estimates were made 35 years ago, so they are subject to variability. I haven’t looked into 1825’s too much, though from what I’ve read, JR-5 is probably more common than R5 (since more examples have turned up in the last 35 years).

With that in mind, the Mega Red Book’s estimates are probably not too far out of line with reality. Probably the best way to think of them is that JR-2 and JR-4 are fairly common and JR-1, 3, and 5 are scarcer and worth keeping an eye out for at reasonable prices.

All in all, 1825 doesn’t have a really tough die marriage (like how 1821 has JR-2 and 1829 has JR-10). That said, 1825 JR-4 does have a pretty spectacular obverse cud (even more so than the one on JR-1) that connects stars 8 through 11. That one is definitely worth keeping an eye out for!

Edit: here is an image of the 1825 JR-4 obverse cud and a link talking about it.

DB965C14-75E8-42BF-8959-913E1695549B.jpeg
    http://jr-newsletter.blogspot.com/2012/01/jr-newsletter-29-january-2012-73.html?m=1

Eduard likes this.
  19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, @NSP for the information and the link to the newsletter!
    very interesting.

As you say, the Mega Red Book 4th Ed is probably more up-to-date concerning current rarity estimates.
    Conder also has it right when he says that rarity ratings mostly only go one way - down!

Somehow I overlooked 1825 JR-4 and that spectacular cud. I will keep my eyes open for it, although I am guessing there are not too many of them around.

The author of the JR-blog is extremely knowledgeable with regard to Bust Dimes. I actually obtained my 1824 JR-2 from him. His collection is just amazing. He co-authored the relatively recent Bust Dime Identification Guide. A great, concise little
    booklet for those interested in Bust Dimes. Do you have it? (I managed to lose my copy).

Thank you again for your help,

Eduard

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  20. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I do not own the Bust Dime Variety Identification Guide, though I may get it in the future (if for no other reason than to see how it compares to the EUSD book).

Draft saved Draft deleted