Would You Do It Every 65.75 Years?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by PlanoSteve, Dec 4, 2019.

?

Would you do it?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Yes, but with caveot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

18 vote(s)
    62.1%
  4. This is assinine

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

OK, most of you know that I don't normally post a thread in the Ancients forum (although I peruse this forum daily), but I just saw a Kurtailed(*) thread from one of our _________(pick one - renowned, famous, infamous, likeable, thought provoking, celebrated, Moderator provoking, distinguished, well thought of, esteemed, prominent,...or pick your own adjective, but you MUST include it in your answer!) members.

(*) homage to Kurt, who I actually miss sometimes :D

It triggered a thought/conundrum that to me, would be very interesting to pose to this specific community:

If you had the opportunity to buy a partial share of a very special coin, and like the Stanley Cup trophy, possessed it for one day, as a ratio of your ownership, would you do it?

Parameters:

1- A ("one") share would cost only $5.00 (You can only have 1 share.)
    2- It would have to be very special, so, completely arbitrary, let's say an Eid Mar.
    3- Assume the coin could be had for an opening bid of, let's just say $120K
    4- Let's also add that we know beyond reasonable doubt, that it was physically possessed/touched/held by a person of renown (you pick, whoever tickles your fancy) of that era. (This may or may not affect an answer.)
    5- So, that means there would be 24,000 shareholders; that means, you would get to possess it, hold it, caress it, parade it around, show it to your friends, etc. once every 65.75 years. (Assume it's not entombed in plastic, and it is genuine; perhaps it was bought in plastic & released.)
    6- Day of possession would be determined by lottery (think Powerball; or NBA lottery), so you could be in the first month, the 30th year, or when you're really old; your share would be transferable to an heir or other, should you choose to do so.
    7- OK, we'll make it allowable to trade days between shareholders.
    8- Once a complete round is finished, it would start all over again.

So, would you do it for only $5.00?

Would it change your answer if you could buy more than one share?

Are there other parameters you would consider?

That's all there is to it! (Btw, I would!)

Thanks in advance for your answers!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

This seems strangely familiar to a thread that was just recently locked...
    Anyway, $5, heck yeah! I would do it. If I get to "hold" the coin, great, if I have to wait 50 years, ok, no big deal.

4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I’m not sure I understand the beginning part of your thread with the adjective thing but in answer to your question I definitely would not. I can see coins out of my means for a short while any time I want to by going to a museum (or browsing Ancient Joe’s amazing website :wideyed:).

The enjoyment I get out of coins has very little to do with their monetary value. There are literally millions of possibilities for coins anyone can afford to own with just as cool of history as the ones designated priceless masterpieces. That is why this is the coolest and most underrated hobby on earth. :cool:

...but I may be biased ;):rolleyes:

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You spelled asinine incorrectly on your poll :meh:

Bob Evancho likes this.
  6. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

7. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Once in a while I miss the cantankerous old xxxxx's comments. Don't know exactly what he did but he was banned pretty fast.
    I voted no in your poll.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  8. CoinBlazer

Mr. Bellman was banned for disagreements between him and senior staff of CoinTalk. I'm sure you can find threads about it.

9. PlanoSteve

It was locked for a very specific assumption/proposal. This is an opinion post, which happened to be provoked by that locked post. ;)

10. PlanoSteve

Well, it was intended to give you an opportunity to pick an adjective for the member/poster (read: @furryfrog02) of the locked thread that led to this thread. ;)

Appreciate your response! :happy:;)

Curtisimo likes this.
  11. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

A definite no from me. I have yet to spend more than £100 on a coin and I already feel the responsibility as a custodian. I can't imagine being comfortable having care of something 'worth' that amount of money.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  12. PlanoSteve

No I didn't...I spelled it exactly how I wanted it! :jawdrop:;)

13. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I'm not so sure the locked thread was serious. Sounded like OP was kidding. Considering he suggested $5 a piece to buy a $200k coin, that would mean 40,000 of us would have to donate and share the coin. Not only is it impossible to share a coin between 40,000 people, but I also doubt Cointalk has 40,000 active members. Heck, there's only about 4 dozen regularly active members here in the ancients forum. So I took it as a lighthearted thread. I can see why the mods shut it down though, as some people don't understand lighthearted non-serious banter.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Numisnewbiest and PlanoSteve like this.
  14. PlanoSteve

Agreed, I don't think it was serious either (knowing @furryfrog02 as we do), which is why I posed this as a hypothetical question, rather than "what if we did this", lest it be construed as an offer. But the intrigue of that post seemed, to me, to require this thread.

So far, some great responses! (@Curtisimo)

Curtisimo likes this.
  15. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Ohhh ....he wasn’t serious??? So can I have my 5$ back please???

Severus Alexander and PlanoSteve like this.
  16. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Hey now...don't say that. I was just having a little (what I thought was) lighthearted fun. I wasn't being serious and assumed anyone who read it would realize that...but I guess the old addage "There's a sucker born every minute" is true though. Not that @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix is a sucker, he didn't ACTUALLY give me $5.
    Mods, please don't ban me! :)

Numisnewbiest and PlanoSteve like this.
  17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I voted "No". I see no personal satisfaction in being such a minor shareholder. Plus, I'm already old and may never see my opportunity to hold such a coin while "I'm not dead still" (an old country song).

I'm not sure either about your first part, but if there is anyone I miss on this forum it is the "Moderator provoking" and double entendre witticisms of my ole pal Steve. We were like Bing Crosby and Jerry Lewis and thus the nicknames used of Bing and Jerry.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  18. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Shipping costs would be egregious. It would eventually get lost, or one of the 24000 people would keep it and fall off the radar/die, and things come crashing down. Logistically, it would be a nightmare.

Go to a coin show or auction preview. You can get opportunities to hold literally millions of dollars of coins for FREE, without waiting.

19. CoinBlazer

Fair point

20. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

It could potentially work as a fractional art type of investment concept. I don't typically consider coin collecting an investment (it's completely the opposite), however, an EID MAR (or similar stature coin) would probably appreciate in the right market.

I'd do it for the investment opportunity, and minor bragging rights, as long as I could purchase multiple shares to make it worthwhile.

I'd also rather it be kept safe and secure and you could hold it if you traveled to it.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  21. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I got to hold this at the most recent show I went to. It was priced at a cool $80000. It was free to hold, and I had a nice little chat with the dealer. Ancients dealers are generally more than happy to let you examine coins without intent to buy if they are not busy. They are in this hobby/business for the fun and history related to the coins, and they are happy to share it with fellow collectors.

F9319BBB-E721-4949-9DEA-0BF028C3AC1E.jpeg 29273841-C67C-41C6-9469-895389A6798A.jpeg 588D9F25-0C53-4D01-993E-A7190C7D760A.jpeg

TIF, PlanoSteve, furryfrog02 and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted