Would you consider these BU?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bigjpst, Jul 14, 2011.

1. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

You despise us that much??? lol haha, I like the way you think...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The seller should not have used the word Gem. He had no way of knowing that and the buyer should have known that before bidding on such a claim. They are BU and look about normal for 43 rolls.
    Please post a link to the actual auction.

4. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

I doubt the roll was never opened before !

5. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

Link
    You are right I should have known that he had no way of knowing if they were gem, so he should not have said it. That being said I figured if I got junk coins buyer protection would cover me. What I got was sorta kinda technically almost correct. That is why I posted. I don't plan to file a claim,but I do plan to contact the seller and tell him I am not happy. What he says will probably determine if I leave neutral feedback or none.

6. bigjpst

Don't want to say never, but old brittle paper. I doubt the seller opened them first.

7. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

$179???!!!!

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

9. bigjpst

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I was searching while you posted the link. I was merely asking if that was the link. But, yes, you paid too much for what you got, but not that much. It would probably have been one heck of a bargain if they were not corroded. I sold a 63 and 64 (certified) for ~$25 for the 2. Had that not been corroded, you should have mostly 63/64's.

11. bigjpst

Yea most look to be in the 63-64 range. A couple might be 65-66, but all are corroded. I had a bunch of PCGS 65's and made a decent profit on all of them, but I can't find any for a good price already certified. So I figured I'd look elsewhere. Guess I'll keep looking and figure out how to limit some of my loss.:D Thanks for the opinion:thumb:

12. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

that would have to be some of the most secure storing to have steel wrapped in paper not rust in over 68 years.

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Congrats, you just discovered why I generally hate OBW rolls. I've opened many to find spotted/corroded coins from decades of improper storage. I've been burned so many times that I generally avoid OBW rolls and prefer rolls in plastic tubes that allow me to inspect the coins without commiting to opening them.

As far as the deal, tough for you. You opened the OBW roll and got garbage....lesson learned. You have no case against the seller.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Would you like to borrow my fire-resistant anti-radiation suit?

Chris

15. bigjpst

Yea definitely lesson learned. Till next time I feel like gambling and can't get to Vegas:D

No.. what I really need is a hammer so if I ever think about buying obw roll again I can bang myself upside the head.:devil:

16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Bigjpst, I would agree if the auction stated BU that your coins are BU, but corroded, In that case I would agree that you gambled and lost, (I have done so many times as well). Howeve, the seller calling them Gem BU, that is a grade, and clearly none of these would make that grade. I would contact the seller, show him a pic of the coins, and point out he listed them as GEM, (a recognized grade of MS65), and pursue it. Its fine to gamble and lose, but this was misrepresentation of goods. The seller erred in listing them as Gem, but you bought them with that grade listed.

I know you know, but many do not understand Gem is a grade, meaning MS65 or higher. Its not "seller fluff" like most descriptions, (brilliant, pristine, gorgeous, etc).

17. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

I agree that is part and kettle of buying rolled coins.
    I bought over twenty rolls once and not a single coin was good enough IMO to send in for grading.

18. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Man, sorry guy. I think a lot of it is there are not really many true "unsearched rolls" like there used to be. I hate to talk about, "back in the day" but its true in the 80's and 90's there were still BU rolls of most 20th century coins around. I think they all got bought up by collectors hoping to slab them with the increased popularity of "condition rarity" slabs.

Maybe the only ones left are with hoarders like me who bought them back then and are too much coin guys to ever want to sell, idk. I just haven't seen any "real" rolls for sale for quite a while now.

19. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I think we all know that ebay wriien descriptions are wildly on the optimistic side. Key words like "original bank roll", "unopened", "unsearched" almost always mean the opposite of what they should. "BU" and "Gem BU" are relatively meaningless nowadays. You bought something in the blind and I doubt that you have much of a case if you disputed what you got.

20. bigjpst

Yea I don't plan on disputing the purchase, I contacted the seller just to let him know I was unhappy and he might want to change his wording in the future. If I don't get a response so be it.

21. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

So, BU but not BU.

Draft saved Draft deleted