Would you buy this or not give it a second look

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by davidh, Nov 24, 2017.

1. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Many of you strive for perfection and in doing so might lose out on something that is worthy of serious consideration.

[​IMG]

FYI, it's a 1796 quarter dollar.

SorenCoins and ddddd like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Interesting.. But what is the point of it?

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That's wild.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I’d consider it. A problem free VF would cost a heck of a lot more than that one would. With series like that most problem free ones are completely out of people’s budgets

SorenCoins likes this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'd buy it, but even in this condition it is above my budget.

Edit: it sold for $3,760 with the bp on Heritage for those interested in pricing.

Here is what Heritage said:

"This is perhaps the most unusual counterstamped early quarter we have ever offered. The handwork that went into the piece is nothing short of amazing, with the margins of the coin -- both obverse and reverse -- effaced of all lettering as well as the date. The fields were smoothly dressed before the precise application of numerals starting with 0 in the 12 o'clock position, then regularly spaced counterclockwise 1 through 9 at the obverse perimeter. The style of the numerals suggest the counterstamping may have been done in the 1800 to 1820s period, with the "3" quite similar in appearance to that used on 1803 Large 3 Draped Bust dollars. Each number was lightly entered and then struck again, resulting in slight doubling of several digits, visible with a loupe. Our consignor reports that this coin is a "whist counter," and pedigrees to the Richard Burdick Collection."

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    paddyman98 and Stork like this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I would pass, interesting yes ...worth the dollars in my coin budget no! Or is something that I collect...thus pass.

8. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I can think of much better ways of spending $3,760.

spirityoda, Kasia, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I would have passed also. Unless I could get it for much less than $3,760 and then sell it to the fella that was willing to pay $3,760.

Stevearino and ddddd like this.
  10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Honestly, this is a coin I would be interested in if I had the money. I agree with the view that normally, avoid problem coins. But this is one of those coins that I would otherwise NEVER be able to own. So, for me that changes the problem coin view.

However, the sale price is presently outside of my budget so...I would drool and move on.

Stevearino likes this.
  11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Good luck reselling it to anyone without putting it back in an auction. So, no, move along.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Interesting enough, but I wouldn’t buy it. I think Heritage did a superb job of promoting it.

Stevearino and Endeavor like this.
  13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

14. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Here is what Heritage said:

"This is perhaps the most unusual counterstamped early quarter we have ever offered. The handwork that went into the piece is nothing short of amazing, with the margins of the coin -- both obverse and reverse -- effaced of all lettering as well as the date. The fields were smoothly dressed before the precise application of numerals starting with 0 in the 12 o'clock position, then regularly spaced counterclockwise 1 through 9 at the obverse perimeter. The style of the numerals suggest the counterstamping may have been done in the 1800 to 1820s period, with the "3" quite similar in appearance to that used on 1803 Large 3 Draped Bust dollars. Each number was lightly entered and then struck again, resulting in slight doubling of several digits, visible with a loupe. Our consignor reports that this coin is a "whist counter," and pedigrees to the Richard Burdick Collection."[/QUOTE]

Wow, I have put on my high boots to go thru that.
    No, even if I had the money.
    By the way were is the other one as "whist counters" are played in pairs.

Stevearino likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Would I buy it? Yes. But at a price I could afford and that is too high for me.

16. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

No. Not at all something I am interested in.

17. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

How do they know it is a 1796?

18. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

The small eagle reverse was a one year design only. Mintage just over 6000.

CoinCorgi and Stevearino like this.
  19. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

20. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

21. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Draft saved Draft deleted