would you buy a key date coin with a hole in it?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mark14, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

at a consignment shop i was recently at, i spotted a 1938-O seated liberty dime. but.... it had a hole near the head. would you consider buying it? I know that it wouldnt even grade G-4 but its something i may never see again. it has all the detail in it, just the hole which detracts value.

Any Thoughts?
    Mark

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

From what I heard a key date coin with a hole is only worth 25% of its intrinsic value. Sad to see something damaged like that, but it happens.

4. Mark14

they have no clue of the value, i looked it up on my phone and saw it was a key date, but i want going to make an offer that day, i didnt want to be too low. so maybe ill offer $15-20 for it seeing as how at the lowest grade it is worth $50

5. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Offer $5 so they can make a counter offer and hopefully you'll get it for your price (or maybe dirt cheap)

6. BMoscato

BMoscato ANA# R-1181086

I wouldn't because it would always bother me knowing that it's flawed. But I try to stay away from problem coins and wait for something that fits my collection.

7. Mark14

good idea. next time i am in the area ill stop by. they didnt even know they had it, i spotted it in a cluttered case of stuff that had been forgotten about

8. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i'm pretty sure if it's a 1938-o that it's fake. i'm also pretty sure you meant 1838-o. ;)

that being said, i personally won't get a coin with a hole, i don't care what coin it is. yes, i do own a cracked flan coin, which is almost the same thing, but there's just something about a hole that makes me stay away. just a personal opinion.

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

It depends on your budget sir. Your statement that "you may never see another one again" is not true. They are available.

My rule of thumb is if you don't love the coin in the shop you won't love it long term. That hole won't be getting any smaller. If it bothers you enough to ask our opinion, I doubt you will ever love that coin, so therefor any price you pay for it will be too much.

10. Shamrock111

Shamrock111 Member

I would to fill the slot :yes:

11. Mark14

i apologize i did mean 1838, i was used to typing 19xx because i was looking up some of my banknotes earlier

12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I wouldn't buy it regardless. You start doing that, and at some point, you will have 2 or 3 of these holed coins in your collection. If you can rationalize one, you can rationalize more. Then you start to tie up your money on a lot of worthless pieces that are a real pain to sell. It will eat up your time and bankroll. And you won't be happy with it for long, either.

13. Mark14

i will not even go for it. good call sam thanks. ill just get my proofs and my 1850-o seated liberty quarter slabbed

14. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

A problem coin will always be a problem coin. It's less likely to appreciate in value and your enjoyment of it while you own it will always be diminished.
    My rule of thumb is if I have to say "It's a nice coin but..." then it isn't the coin for me.
    OTOH if all your budget allows for is a holed coin and you feel you can live with it, then have at it.
    The older I get, the pickier I have become with my purchases. Would that I have had that philosophy when starting out!

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Go for it, just ask them what they want first.

And then sell in on eBay as holed by Abe Lincoln, who worn it the day of his assassination, worth billions!

But: buy it now for $100.

Draft saved Draft deleted