Would You Bid On This Coin

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rick Stachowski, Dec 9, 2019.

1. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

Really...why is that?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AngelDeath

AngelDeath Well-Known Member

The metal content of coins was debased after 64, ruined the beauty of the coins.

We are following the same path of the Ancient Romans only faster.

4. PassthePuck

PassthePuck Well-Known Member

Well, that's scary. I too agree that after 64', but with the zinc added, they kind of look bad when too much pressure is added. You can see the tear in the copper coating and into the zinc. Not to mention the zinc rust up really quick on the coin. Not to mention the blistering under the copper layer. So, on that note, I went out and bought me a handheld microscope and now I only save flawless coins, one that are smooth with zero scratches.

5. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

Nope. I wouldn't even think about it. The header screams scam to me. All caps and words like VERY RARE, SCARCE, for a coin that isn't very rare or scarce would be enough, and from a seller with only 13 previous sales, even if I did have some interest in a Lincoln Memorial cent.

CORRECTION: DDO is rare, and I can see it in the image, so maybe the price isn't that bad. I still wouldn't buy it, though. Now it's screaming 'fake' at me.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Spark1951 likes this.
  7. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

How did you know the coin was real and graded by PCGS? It's not in the ebay ad at all. Even if I did know that, I still wouldn't trust this guy. 13 previous sales and typical scam header. I think you're right that he doesn't actually own the coin.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Even with the small images, the coin looked real to me. No way it would be on ebay. It's a 60 to 80K coin. It was easy to find the image.

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

No. Doesn’t interest me especially from a seller with that track record.

10. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

When I first looked at the obverse image I thought that the tails of both "9"'s looked different from the one in Coin Facts. After your post I looked again and have become convinced otherwise. I agree, no way it would be on eBay. A real one would have been slabbed and sold by one of the major auction houses.

Spark1951 likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The auction listing is still up. PCGS now knows. I'll bet the listing is gone in a day or so.

12. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Listing been removed .

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Another one bites the dust!

Coinstruck89 likes this.
  14. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

One correction to the Coinfacts article.

This is not correct as at least one of the 69-S DDO cents known does show machine doubling on the mintmark. If one does others might as well.

16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I need just about all the 20's for grandbabies collections. I know I'll never get the teens either

Draft saved Draft deleted